Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Life Taker - 46/32/DMD Widebody

Pinball999

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I've started a thread on another forum and asked for ideas on a way to "feel" the ball rolling on the playfield (not just hear it)

At the moment, we can feel the solenoids, bumpers and targets, but nothing for the rolling ball .. In my eyes it's the last step for a great immersion.

Teppotee answered to the thread, and told me that he is redirecting all mechanical sounds to a second audio amp, and then to two bass shackers placedon the cab sides.

This is possible with VP's feature that allows to split the audio on two different outputs.

I would really love to investigate on this solution, and I'm wondering if any of you is using a similar setup, or know a thread where I could get some info.

There is a mapped sound in most tables, and I generally lower the music level to be able to hear them.

But here, it would not reallyt matter if the room is quiet or not, since what I am aiming at is to feel the vibrations from the bass shakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-TT25-16-Tactile-Transducer/dp/B0045W10VW/ref=pd_sim_e_5

Nice idea. Dig deeper on that page at Amazon. They do advertise an 8 Ohm version although it is temporarily out of stock.

Are those ball rolling noises in VP played back in stereo?

In reality, though, I don't notice the sound or feel of the ball rolling. I don't get around to playing the real thing very often. When I do it's in a noisy bar or arcade.

If you try it I hope that you document it here. I'd like to know how it turned out.

• 1 month later...

So.. there has been a bit of progress on the Shaker side.

I've received two 4 ohms bass shakers (Bass Bump III) last week and made a quick test with a normal amp.

First impression, it's great to feel the ball falling on the playfield from the ramps or bouncing on the lanes bumpers. I was like a child discovering a new toy.. :) And it works perfectly in parallele with my contactors.

But.. the Bass Bump act like a speaker, and therefore reproduce all sounds in a pretty bad quality if not properly filtered by a sub amp.

So I'm now waiting for this to be delivered:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009GKBJHI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More info to come!

Everything is installed!

Here is more or less the content of a message I've posted on VPF:

I've finally managed to correctly install my bass pumps III in the cab and played a few tables.

At the moment, the mechanical sounds are splitted and sent a small amp connected to a good HC center speaker, and to a subwoofer amplifier connected to the bass Pumps III.

This allows to adjust the volume and the "shakes" separately.

If the effect is great on some tables (like T2 or Cirqus Votaire), you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time tweaking all the tables with sounds with too much low frequencies (TAF Gold, or T3 i.e.).

For these last tables, the shakers are kicking too much and make the all cab rattling.

For the plus:

-Better immersion on tables with good mechanical sounds (you can really feel the ball bumping everywhere)

-Could replace the contactors if you don't want to use both (my preference goes to the contactors though)

-Works great in parallel with contactors as the feeling between the systems is different.

For the cons:

-A lot of tweaking in perspective to find the best sounds

-If used too strong, the shakers can cover the contactors and you can't perceive anymore which one of them is triggered.

What I'm planning to do is to make a selection of all the sounds working best in my tables, and import them to the problematic ones.

I will also use an audio software to adjust these sounds to my liking and get the best frequencies to work with the shakers.

Alternative and quick options are:

Switching the sub amp off in case the bass are too strong

Use the feature in VP to deactivate some sounds (like bumpers or slingshots for instance). The contactors would be there to still hear and feel these sounds.

Another thing on the to do list is to learn how to add ball rolling sound to the tables where it's missing. Once you have tested it, you don't want to go back :)

I would love to hear from other users with this kind of setup, especially if someone can compare two types of shakers like in the link below.

And here is a small schematic of the setup:

post-28820-142870616183_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is almost exactly what I want. Your setup is fantastic. I'm just starting to look around the forums to try to get ideas and you've built what I've been envisioning for about a week. I've been wanting to build for years, but when I saw BAM, I decided this is the year I'm making it happen. I have so many questions...I don't even know where to start....

I feel like I need to make a decision on a TV before I can do anything else. does your TV slide in front the front or the back? I keep looking at this Vizio because it has TINY bezels, but also has a little notch, like your Samsung that you just routed off....that scares the crap out of me. I'd rather leave it intact if I can.

do reflections cause problems between the TV and glass?

I assumed the Kinect would give you better results, how many PS3 cams do you have? They look cheaper, so ...up to 3 would still be quite a bit cheaper than Kinect. In your tron video, I don't even see where you have your camera/s mounted, but....holy god it looks amazing.

I guess I'm mostly posting to say great build and will you mind if I ask you a crapload of questions? should I ask in here? or PM? or just...take a hike and leave you alone? :)

this is almost exactly what I want. Your setup is fantastic. I'm just starting to look around the forums to try to get ideas and you've built what I've been envisioning for about a week. I've been wanting to build for years, but when I saw BAM, I decided this is the year I'm making it happen. I have so many questions...I don't even know where to start....

I feel like I need to make a decision on a TV before I can do anything else. does your TV slide in front the front or the back? I keep looking at this Vizio because it has TINY bezels, but also has a little notch, like your Samsung that you just routed off....that scares the crap out of me. I'd rather leave it intact if I can.

I assumed the Kinect would give you better results, how many PS3 cams do you have? They look cheaper, so ...up to 3 would still be quite a bit cheaper than Kinect. In your tron video, I don't even see where you have your camera/s mounted, but....holy god it looks amazing.

I guess I'm mostly posting to say great build and will you mind if I ask you a crapload of questions? should I ask in here? or PM? or just...take a hike and leave you alone? :)

I'd be interested too as my next build will be a vp cab.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words allroy1975, and do not worry about asking a few questions.

I also had to start somewhere and got a great support from the experienced users, so I'd be happy to assist you!

So let's start with BAM..

First of all, please don't get too excited about it, it's for sure a great addition, but it should not be the main reason to build a cab. You should play a bit with VP and FP to compare both gameplays, and see if you want to go ahead. I installed it on my cab, but spend 95% of my play time on VP tables.

In a near future, we should be able to also use head tracking with Pinball Unity3D. Looking forward to test it there.

For the TV.

You should make it slide from the back. You can see the routed slots on my cab on post 15 from this thread.

I don't know the Vizio model, but the priority should be given to a TV with a game mode to avoid any lag. Someone I know ordered a noname model with a Samsung panel, but had to return it because of its lag.

You should also check it in a shop to make sure that the picture quality is not altered with the cab viewing angle.

Once you have the TV and lock bar dimensions, you'll be able to start building the cab around them!

Do you mean with BAM? Not at all.

That's a wrong assumption, Kinect does not have the best results. You can achieve it with two PS3 cams (3 does not work). More info can be found on BAM official page:

http://www.ravarcade.pl/

For the placement, you can check it on post 94 of this thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25606&page=5

Let me know if it helps. Looking forward to see your progress!

Wow, that's new to me, Using PS3 cameras/Wii/Kinect in a pinball cab to make it "feel" more realistic .... Nice!

I'm doing preparations to start my Pinball Cab in April. Currently I'm buying little by little all the stuff, reading a lot, etc. I will be asking a lot of questions too when the times comes :laugh: (to everyone here)

Keep the good job mate.

Thanks for the kind words allroy1975, and do not worry about asking a few questions.

I also had to start somewhere and got a great support from the experienced users, so I'd be happy to assist you!

So let's start with BAM..

First of all, please don't get too excited about it, it's for sure a great addition, but it should not be the main reason to build a cab. You should play a bit with VP and FP to compare both gameplays, and see if you want to go ahead. I installed it on my cab, but spend 95% of my play time on VP tables.

In a near future, we should be able to also use head tracking with Pinball Unity3D. Looking forward to test it there.

it's not the MAIN reason....main reason would be so much pinball in so little space! I figure it's still really new, and it'll only get better...right? So is future pinball not the best "feeling" emu? are there no physics adjustments that can be made to make it better? like I said...I'm still really early into this so...again, sorry if that's a dumb question. I downloaded ~70gb of FP tables a few days ago...they seem to look pretty good, but....I couldn't play them ....I haven't messed with it much, but...I could F5 to launch the table, but it wouldn't coin up or anything.....I could change views and that was it. :) newb

For the TV.

You should make it slide from the back. You can see the routed slots on my cab on post 15 from this thread.

I don't know the Vizio model, but the priority should be given to a TV with a game mode to avoid any lag. Someone I know ordered a noname model with a Samsung panel, but had to return it because of its lag.

You should also check it in a shop to make sure that the picture quality is not altered with the cab viewing angle.

GREAT tips. THANK YOU!

Do you mean with BAM? Not at all.

I actually just meant like......the TV reflecting off the glass back to the tv...creating a hall of mirrors type effect or something....

Thanks again for answering my questions! more dumb ones to follow I'm sure! also, this is really weird...the first guy to reply to your post's name is mattdavis....which is my name IRL. weird coincidence.

FP is for sure not the best emu if we only consider the physics. There have been a few improvements with physics 2.5, 2.6 or Zed physics, but VP is quite often playing better.

Here, you can find one of the many discussions on this topic.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25984&hl=

You can get tables with updated physics here:

http://pinsimdb.org/

downloaded ~70gb of FP tables a few days ago...they seem to look pretty good, but....I couldn't play them ....I haven't messed with it much, but...I could F5 to launch the table, but it wouldn't coin up or anything.....I could change views and that was it. newb

To be able to launch them, go to FP options and edit the keys :)

Regarding the reflections.. I'm using a normal glass and never had a problem with it. No fear to have on that side.

Archived