Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Funglo pedestal style cab

maxxsinner

So now that my first mame cabinet looks like an amateur built it (before I knew about Hyperspin) and after building a couple of pinball cabinets, I decided it was time to give my mame setup a new lease of life. Loved the look of the Funglo style of cabinet, but wanted something a little smaller for the room it's going into.

Contacted Troy from Arcadeworx (Australia) and he has designed me a perfect pedestal cabinet ready to be put together Ikea style. :)

20121207_131337.jpg

A few specs of the little beast-

PC Parts

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3

Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI

Intel I7 3820

Corsair 16GB PC-12800

Corsair 650 PSU

Corsair H80 CPU Cooler

Seagate Barracuda 3TB x 2

Seagate Barracuda 2TB x 1

Lian li T60B testing bench

Controls

Razer Onza gamepad x 2

Aim-track lightgun x 2 (Some serious modding to be done here)

Mag-Stick Plus x 2

U-Trak Trackball

Heap of RGB buttons

Sound

Alpine MRX-F65 1300W 4 Channel Amp

Alpine SPR-60 6.5" 300W 2 Way Speakers

Alpine SWR-1043D 1800W Type R 10" Subwoofer

Bling

15 mm acrylic panels for sides

RGB addressable strips for under and on top of acrylic

I will keep adding pics to this post as the build progresses.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like its going to be a beast! I have almost the same amount of hard drive space as you (2x 2TB, 1x 3TB, but times that by two because everything is backed up) and I have most CD based systems on here with plenty of room to spare. Didn't get all of PS2 yet, but not sure if I'm ever going to. We'll see. Is this your plan as well, to have every system imaginable? :D

Cheers gents. Yeah the PS games take a lot of real estate so figured make sure there is enough room for that as well as future proofing. Gave the sound system a test run the a couple of nights ago. I liked it but don't thing the neighbors felt the same about it. :) Going to use it as a jukebox as well. Think my cabinets twin should be making a thread sometime soon too. :D

Not sure what I will be doing for a display as yet. Might go a 32 inch LCD TV as they are so cheap over here at the moment. Just need to make some space in my man cave to fit it all! :)

Love what Troy produces from Arcadewox. This will be the 4 cabinet I have bought off him! :D

There are a couple of bits that need soldering but nothing too fiddly. And you don't have to put all the feedback stuff in at once. Some guys add stuff in as they go. :)

Its a shame that your not closer to my way in Vic. Could have given you a hand if you needed it.

Got a bit more done tonight

20130107_200913%255B1%255D.jpg

Checker plate should reflect my LED strip nicely :)

Still gotta work out where to shoe horn this huge thing into the cabinet. :D

20130107_200922%255B1%255D.jpg

• 3 months later...

I love the pedestal it has a great look along with your mods it should be amazing. Do you think you could post some rough measurements of this like control deck size, height, and size of middle column for fitting a PC maybe.

Hi Erock. I sooooo need to start updating this thread again. I cant take measurements at the moment as I am building in a mates shed and he is off shore for the week working. The middle column is about 400mm wide, cabinet is around 900 high but that was to suit my height. control deck was around 1200 wide. The plans are from Arcadeworx here in Australia so I am not sure how much IP is involved and how much I can give away. :dontknow:

Got a bit more done last night. Mounted the amp and one of the subs to start.

P1020058.JPG

Then I worked on the right hand checker plate, speaker and sub.

P1020064.JPG

P1020066.JPG

Changed from Alpine to JL subs. The 10's were a little too big for the cabinet so got some 8 inch JL's instead.

Anyone want to buy a couple of Alpine 10's ? :D

Getting close to the final revision of my control panel art too. Just a couple more changes.

Voltek_CP_V6.jpg

For anyone who is even considering custom artwork, I highly recommend dfwArcade. He attention to detail is brilliant.

More to come soon.

Super super cool my friend. What a cab!!

I didn't realize it was going to be a head bangers special! I love my JL audio dual 10" sub. I've got a rockin old school sysytem in my 86 VW Cabriolet. Old school Alpine 4 volt head. Polk Momo edition component speakers. Dual amps; one for the Polks and one for the JL subs. You've got to have a rockin sound system for a convertible.

My Pole Position sitdown Mame cab has the same Alpine deck as the VW to run sound. You should look into having a car stereo head in the cab for sound controls as an AUX input. I run the car radio with a home converter for voltage and really like having the Alpine control all my sound for the PC. Plus it plays CDs!!

Thanks for the kudos on the artwork. It wouldn't come out this cool if you didn't have an eye for detail. Pleasure bringing your idea to life. She's going to be a looker and a shaker!!

Thanks Ben, can't wit to see the final version!!!

Take care, all the best!

Josh

Got a bit more done last night. Mounted the amp and one of the subs to start.

P1020058.JPG

Then I worked on the right hand checker plate, speaker and sub.

P1020064.JPG

P1020066.JPG

Changed from Alpine to JL subs. The 10's were a little too big for the cabinet so got some 8 inch JL's instead.

Anyone want to buy a couple of Alpine 10's ? :D

Getting close to the final revision of my control panel art too. Just a couple more changes.

Voltek_CP_V6.jpg

For anyone who is even considering custom artwork, I highly recommend dfwArcade. He attention to detail is brilliant.

More to come soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived