Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How To Set Up HyperSpin on the Nvidia Shield (Beginners Guide)

Fromlostdays

set all your filters to false including "roms only"

this should at least get you into the wheel of games.

if it does, check your games extensions match what you have in the .ini file, games are named the same as in the database (short names required for arcade games incl Neo Geo) and check your rompath is ok

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pouteur said:

Hi,

You need a bios for neogeo.

Personnaly i use mame4droid for neo geo and mame and it works great.

Hi Pouteur:

This is obvious. neogeo.zip is basic to run roms. I also can run Neo Geo roms throw mame4droid, so discard bad issues like bad directory etc.

3 hours ago, thatman84 said:

set all your filters to false including "roms only"

this should at least get you into the wheel of games.

if it does, check your games extensions match what you have in the .ini file, games are named the same as in the database (short names required for arcade games incl Neo Geo) and check your rompath is ok

Hi, thatman84:

Rom paths must be ok. As i told above, i can run Neo Geo roms if i set .ini with Mame Emulator. Problems come with RA and fb.

Respectig to "at least get you in to the wheel of games": I can enter neogeo wheel perfecty. Problem is running selected rom: Screen blinks and come back to wheel. see my video attached.

Better if we focus, for example, in Nintendo Entertainment System. Real data:

Rompath: \hyperspin\Emulators\Nintendo Entertainment System\

Extension: .nes

Roms real examples:

[Aladdin] Dizzy the Adventurer (USA) (Unl).nes

2-in-1 Cosmo Cop + Cyber Monster (Sachen) [!].nes2-in-1 Tough Cop + Super Tough Cop (Sachen)[!].nes

3 in 1 Supergun (1993)(Micro Genius)(AS)[p].nes

3-D Battles of World Runner, The (USA).nes

8 Eyes (USA).nes

10-Yard Fight (USA, Europe).nes

720 (USA).nes

1942 (Japan, USA).nes

1943 - The Battle of Midway (USA).nes

Abadox (USA).nes

Action 52 (USA) (Unl) (Rev A).nes

Addams Family, The - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (USA).nes

Roms names must be ok: I have Nestopia and can load these .nes roms without issues.

Here you have the .ini. Rompath, extension and rom format could be checked.
Nintendo Entertainment System.ini (Changes Bold Marked )

[exe info]
path=H:\hyperspin\Emulators\Nintendo Entertainment System\
rompath=Emulators/Nintendo Entertainment System/roms
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=nes
parameters=cores/nestopia_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true
Per_Game_Modules=false
Skipchecks=false
Hide_Cursor=use_global
Hide_Desktop=use_global
Hide_Taskbar=use_global
CPWizard_Enabled=use_global
CPWizard_Delay=use_global
CPWizard_Params=use_global
Fade_In=use_global
Fade_Out=use_global
Fade_Color=use_global
Fade_In_Duration=use_global
Fade_Out_Duration=use_global
Fade_In_Delay=use_global
7z_Enabled=use_global
7z_Extract_Dir=use_global
7z_Delete_Temp=use_global
Keymapper_Enabled=use_global
Keymapper=use_global
MultiGame_Enabled=use_global
MultiGame_Background_Color=use_global
MultiGame_Side_Padding=use_global
MultiGame_Y_Offset=use_global
MultiGame_Image_Adjust=use_global
MultiGame_Font=use_global
MultiGame_Text_1_Options=use_global
MultiGame_Text_1_Text=use_global
MultiGame_Text_2_Options=use_global
MultiGame_Text_2_Offset=use_global
MultiGame_Use_Sound=use_global
MultiGame_Sound_Frequency=use_global
MultiGame_Exit_Effect=use_global
MultiGame_Selected_Effect=use_global
MultiGame_Use_Game_Art=use_global
MultiGame_Art_Folder=use_global

[filters]
parents_only=false
themes_only=false
wheels_only=false
roms_only=false

[themes]
use_parent_vids=false
use_parent_themes=false
animate_out_default=false
reload_backgrounds=true

[wheel]
alpha=0.15
small_alpha = 1
style=normal
speed=high
pin_center_width=500
horz_wheel_y=512
vert_wheel_position=right
y_rotation=center
norm_large=360
norm_small=230
vert_large=400
vert_small=300
pin_large=500
pin_small=200
horz_large=240
horz_small=150
letter_wheel_x=800
letter_wheel_y=384
text_width=700
text_font=Style4
small_text_width=260
large_text_width=400
text_stroke_size=6
text_stroke_color=0x000000
text_color1=0x00BFFD
text_color2=0xFFFFFF
text_color3=0x00BFFD
color_ratio=139
shadow_distance=0
shadow_angle=45
shadow_color=0x000000
shadow_alpha=1
shadow_blur=0

[pointer]
animated=true
x=975
y=384

[video defaults]
path=H:\hyperspin\Media\Nintendo Entertainment System\Video\

[sounds]
game_sounds=true
wheel_click=true

[navigation]
game_jump=50
use_indexes=false
jump_timer=400
remove_info_wheel=true
remove_info_text=true
use_last_game=false
last_game=Mario's Time Machine! (USA)
random_game=false

start_on_favorites=false
[Special Art A]
default=true
active=true
x=512
y=720
in=0.4
out=0.4
length=3
delay=0
type=normal
start=bottom

[Special Art B]
default=true
active=true
x=512
y=740
in=0.4
out=0.4
length=3
delay=0
type=fade
start=none

[Special Art C]
active=false
y=384
in=0
out=0
length=3
delay=10
type=fade
start=none

[Game Text]
game_text_active    = true
show_year           = true
show_manf           = true
show_description    = true
text_color1         = 0xFFFFFF
text_color2         = 0xFFFFFF
stroke_color        = 0xE80000
text_font           = Style3
text1_textsize=26
text1_strokesize=7
text1_x=32
text1_y=610
text2_textsize=36
text2_strokesize=8
text2_x=30
text2_y=640

Thanks both for helping me.

Apologies for not watching the vid. I read the "blinks" problem and assumed you could get into the wheel as that's very common.

you have me stumped with your problem.

please post your working MAME .ini to compare.

also just try an ini file from my Android Base Pack. It's in the DL section. (Change your rompath in the ini's)

sounds and looks like it's not passing the correct commands to retroarch but yours look ok. Weird

Sorry.... Probably due my "good" english level.  :)

As I told you, wheels works great. Blinks comes when run roms.

Ini´s I used are detailled on Step 8 first post

Step 8: Navigate to the downloads section of the Hyperspin website, and under Hyperspin (Android). Link here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7809-settings-android-10may20157z/

Download this Settings pack. Unzip and copy over all of the inis in your new Hyperspin/Settings folder

Anyway, here you are Mame.ini. Neo Geo.ini also works great if choose same exe (driven by Mame)

exe info]
path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\MAME\
rompath=Emulators/MAME/roms
userompath=false
exe=com.seleuco.mame4droid/com.seleuco.mame4droid.MAME4droid
romextension        = zip
parameters=
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate            = HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true
Per_Game_Modules=false
Skipchecks=false
Hide_Cursor=use_global
Hide_Desktop=use_global
Hide_Taskbar=use_global
CPWizard_Enabled=use_global
CPWizard_Delay=use_global
CPWizard_Params=use_global
Fade_In=use_global
Fade_Out=use_global
Fade_Color=use_global
Fade_In_Duration=use_global
Fade_Out_Duration=use_global
Fade_In_Delay=use_global
7z_Enabled=use_global
7z_Extract_Dir=use_global
7z_Delete_Temp=use_global
Keymapper_Enabled=use_global
Keymapper=use_global
MultiGame_Enabled=use_global
MultiGame_Background_Color=use_global
MultiGame_Side_Padding=use_global
MultiGame_Y_Offset=use_global
MultiGame_Image_Adjust=use_global
MultiGame_Font=use_global
MultiGame_Text_1_Options=use_global
MultiGame_Text_1_Text=use_global
MultiGame_Text_2_Options=use_global
MultiGame_Text_2_Offset=use_global
MultiGame_Use_Sound=use_global
MultiGame_Sound_Frequency=use_global
MultiGame_Exit_Effect=use_global
MultiGame_Selected_Effect=use_global
MultiGame_Use_Game_Art=use_global
MultiGame_Art_Folder=use_global

[filters]
parents_only        = false
themes_only         = true
wheels_only         = false
roms_only        = false

[themes]
use_parent_vids=true
use_parent_themes=true
animate_out_default=false
reload_backgrounds=true

[wheel]
alpha=.15
small_alpha = 1
style               = normal
speed               = high
pin_center_width    = 500
horz_wheel_y        = 512
vert_wheel_position=right
y_rotation          = right
norm_large          = 360
norm_small          = 230
vert_large          = 400
vert_small          = 240
pin_large           = 500
pin_small           = 200
horz_large          = 240
horz_small          = 150
letter_wheel_x      = 800
letter_wheel_y      = 384
text_width          = 700
text_font           = Style2
small_text_width    = 260
large_text_width    = 400
text_stroke_size=6
text_stroke_color=0x000000
text_color1=0x00BFFD
text_color2=0xFFFFFF
text_color3=0x00BFFD
color_ratio=139
shadow_distance     = 0
shadow_angle        = 45
shadow_color=0x000000
shadow_alpha        = 1
shadow_blur         = 0

[pointer]
animated=true
x                   = 975
y                   = 384

[video defaults]
path=H:\hyperspin\Media\MAME\Video\

[sounds]
game_sounds         = true
wheel_click         = true

[navigation]
game_jump=50
use_indexes=false
jump_timer=400
remove_info_wheel=false
remove_info_text=true
use_last_game=true
last_game=thunderl
random_game=false

start_on_favorites=false
[Special Art A]
default=true
active=true
x=512
y=720
in=0.4
out=0.4
length=3
delay=0
type=normal
start=bottom

[Special Art B]
default=true
active=true
x=512
y=740
in=0.4
out=0.4
length=3
delay=0
type=fade
start=none

[Special Art C]
active=false
x=512
y=384
in=0
out=0
length=3
delay=10
type=fade
start=none

[Game Text]
game_text_active    = true
show_year           = true
show_manf           = true
show_description    = true
text_color1         = 0xFFFFFF
text_color2         = 0xFFFFFF
stroke_color        = 0x000000
text_font           = Style3
text1_textsize      = 26
text1_strokesize    = 7
text1_x             = 32
text1_y             = 610
text2_textsize      = 36
text2_strokesize    = 8
text2_x             = 30
text2_y             = 640

------

Ok. I´ll try .ini you recommend. The link:

I´ll work with Settings_Android.zip 136.55 kB

Results in a hour aprox...

You said you got a 25gb Hyperspin pack...

therefore you could have any number of issues (unless you built your pack from scratch yourself)

Going back to Nes. You said they run fine in nestopia core of retroarch directly?

can you attach your Nes database xml? I can't think of any reason for your issue but your rom names you posted earlier don't look HS standard. (That would normally give you missing Rom errors rath than blinking)

This is how I setup retroarch

Also there is a video on my YT about linking retroarch and hyperspin

thatman84... no problems with .inis, no problem with rompaths.

Anyway, there is always an explanation: Im Stupid. Im trying to run roms without download cores at RA.

everytime i enter RA, it got stucked... i waited for a few seconds and selecting load cores i can donwload cores i need (RA comes empty un my shield)

I think you are giving for sure that i have those cores, and i though this cores came included in RA. No instructions in this post, so i though those cores were all included. In my case, i have to donwload one by one.

I have tested all systems and works properly. Thanks for your help. THANKS.

one more question: you can exit game from mame pushing left button below left joystick. Not that case in nes or sega emus.

how i can exit from controller? Only method i found is lefting contoller, taking remote, pushing left button and closing RA.

1 hour ago, co2 said:

I have tested all systems and works properly. Thanks for your help. THANKS.

one more question: you can exit game from mame pushing left button below left joystick. Not that case in nes or sega emus.

how i can exit from controller? Only method i found is lefting contoller, taking remote, pushing left button and closing RA.

no worries, Iwas thinking it after last post :) glad your up and running. Dont forget to link Hyperspin &Retroarch properly or you will hit more problems

you need to setup hot keys for those functions. just be careful as it you run something like PS1 most of the buttons are needed.

The only info I have out there is on my website but its a bit out dated now. Or there is a little bit in the video I linked. Retroarch forum has plenty of posts about that stuff just not many guides

• 3 months later...

Hi fellas! Sorry for the newb question....I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to this stuff.  So I followed the guide and installed Hyperspin on my Nvidia Shield TV, got it running and everything, but when I get to the main menu (i'm guessing that's the wheel?) where I get to pick which game system i'm playing (nintendo, snes, mame, sega, etc.) it won't load any of the roms, or it says attempting to run missing rom.    I hope you guys can help me out.  Thanks!

Welcome to the android family. @PopoySD

It's likely your rompath is incorrect in the settings file for the system. Also you may have roms_only=true set in there to which means if the rompath is incorrect it can't see any roms so won't let you into the wheel (wheel=list of games) (main menu wheel = list of systems or consoles)

have a a search for my Android Base Pack aswell as the tag (Tutorial) in the android forum. Those will turn hope some helpful guides

start with Reznnate's pinned posts in the android section then my guides for settings files.

• 2 months later...

Right hello. New user here trying to get things to run on nvidia shield tv. 

So heres my thing: Got a hyperspin HDD from a dude, 4tb sucker. But the damn thing is CLUTTERED. 

So my question: Do I need/is it possible (im thinking it is though) to run emulators directly on nvidia shield tv? If so, what do I need as far as setup goes for the hyperspin folder. Already downloaded a clean version, all i need is to set it up. Would it be emulator/videogamesystemname/the emulator/roms ? Or, is there something im missing here. 

Basically otherwise, most stuff on the current setup works; the sega saturn appears to try and look for a system that's not there (yabause vs SSF) and others have the "missing rom" issue, even though i have roms for the system. 

Welcome.

Do you want to use the drive on a PC and the Shield?

All of your emulators for android will be run from the shield. Download them from the play store or side load any latest nightlies you download.

I have some guides on here explaining the settings files. (I should make a thread with the links really!) for my ease they are here http://emulationguide.com/my-guides

Plenty of people use RetroArch for many systems but Yabause is needed for Saturn.

For ease of settings and portability you can/should locate your roms within the Hyperspin folder

Hyperspin/Emulators/SYSTEMNAME/roms/

But you can organise it however you like so long as its inside the Hyperspin folder. Its your choice as the only thing it helps with is the rompath in the settings files.

There is a pack of settings files in my base pack in my signature and Reznates settings in the download section. They will help you also. (Not been updated for a while though)

Ok if just running on the shield you can just grab the Android base pack and start adding all your stuff from the drive into it, to de-clutter.

Start with your database folder then your media folders one by one. Main Menu and Frontend 1st.

Just add ONE system at a time is the best advise (I never followed that to start with and wish I did)

Yes when you are setup almost every system will boot straight to the game from the wheel.

And there is no SSF port for android AFAIK.

4 minutes ago, ImmortalKnight said:

so, your saying SSF doesn't run on android? Interesting.... TBH if possible, i would rather not use retro arch at all, unless needed.  And no, i was just planning on running hyperspin on the shield. 

Basically, i'd just like to select a game from the wheel, and boot right to an emulator. 

If you don't use Retroarch you will have to buy some emulators from the play store. Retroarch isn't that bad really, just looks confusing at first. The Sega 32X for example has no dedicated emulator so you need RetroArch and the Picodrive core for it. I don't use it for everything BUT more often than not I am.

We know nothing about this drive. In the Hyperspin folder look for the settings_android sub folder. All the .ini files here are for the different systems. If a rom is missing, it's most likely the rom path is incorrect, or the rom extensions are incorrect...or possibly the rom isn't named the same as what is listed in the database xml. The exe line states what the emulator to be used is. Parmeters is commonly used to define a core for retroarch to use.

The settings folder is for a PC setup, it will also have .ini files but from the sounds of things you aren't too bothered about that. However it will depend what roms you have on the drive. If there are Nintendo Wii games then honestly most of those won't work with Dolphin for Android, there are some systems that just aren't playable on Android (Daphne for example). As I have a PC arcade with an Nvidia GPU I can play it remotely from the Shield TV via Gamestream...just an FYI should you choose to go that route in the future

All the best with it 

Ah yeah apologies. I should explain more about the drive. It appears to be a dual PC/Shield setup, has all the emulators / roms i would need already on it. All im looking to do is declutter / streamline it as best i can. and, no there arent any nintendo Wii games. Or like, just two? If i'm being honest, i'm more of a person who would rather go to a program in hyperspin on the android and be like "okay run this, from this, etc" and have the ini files setup automatically using that. But, i don't believe that is a thing is it? 

As i recall, daphne is a sega emulator right? I am currently able to run Dreamcast games though, via demule. It seems that some PC emulators are working fine, as they run directly off the HDD...but am unable to confirm this for sure. 

12 minutes ago, ImmortalKnight said:

Ah yeah apologies. I should explain more about the drive. It appears to be a dual PC/Shield setup, has all the emulators / roms i would need already on it. All im looking to do is declutter / streamline it as best i can. and, no there arent any nintendo Wii games. Or like, just two? If i'm being honest, i'm more of a person who would rather go to a program in hyperspin on the android and be like "okay run this, from this, etc" and have the ini files setup automatically using that. But, i don't believe that is a thing is it? 

As i recall, daphne is a sega emulator right? I am currently able to run Dreamcast games though, via demule. It seems that some PC emulators are working fine, as they run directly off the HDD...but am unable to confirm this for sure. 

You need to look at the .ini files in the settings_android folder that is all HyperSpin will use on the Shield TV. See how Dreamcast is setup it will tell you what emulator is being used. Thatman has put in a lot of time doing these guides, they're worth reading and should help you understand what's going on.

Daphne is laserdisc games (Dragon's Lair, Cobra command, Cliff Hanger etc etc.) so no it's not Sega. If you have Gamecube roms then you can use Dolphin but setting it up is a bit of a faff. Take it in baby steps one system at a time and you'll get there. I'm guessing many of the systems will use RetroArch, so install it and go in the online updater and download the cores you need.

11 minutes ago, XC-3730C said:

For systems that have a stand alone emulator, would that be better than using Retroarch?

Yes they can be. Although Retroarch has a core for the Commodore 64 for example, I had trouble getting the gamepad and keyboard recognised, so ended up using C64.emu which works great. For Nintendo DS I use Drastic which cost ~£3, it's a great emulator but I don't blame people if they want to run it through RetroArch.

Some members like to use Mame4droid for the Arcade games but I prefer to use RetroArch as the cores will cover many romsets.

6 minutes ago, ImmortalKnight said:

Okay, but the settings i have under android_settings are directing to the emulators folder xD. If i want to use the settings as I have them, how should i go about it?  

Edit: never mind i see, i would use the EXE instead. 

I don't want to sound like a **** but the guy who supplied the drive should be giving you support. Buying these drives and linking to sites that supply the media content is frowned upon. Read through the guides Thatman kindly linked for you to get a better understanding. If you are still struggling we can try and help.

Archived