Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How To Set Up HyperSpin on the Nvidia Shield (Beginners Guide)

Fromlostdays

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

No. That's why I edited my last post fella to tell you how to transfer files and access them remotely to do edits

Thanks for all your help! Just transferring everything over FTP right now. Once completed, will edit the .ini and upload those back. Will keep you updated!

10 minutes ago, garyb3529 said:

Thanks for all your help! Just transferring everything over FTP right now. Once completed, will edit the .ini and upload those back. Will keep you updated!

If you're using filezilla (like I do). You can edit the .ini files that are stored on the Shield TV. Filezilla will open notepad, make the changes then save and close notepad. Filezilla will ask to send the file back to the Shield TV to complete the change.

• 1 month later...

Hyperspin booted properly

media is all there

i select a game from my games list, the screen just refreshes.

using the Shield game pad, I’m guess “A” should just launch the game no?  Or, like hyperlaunchHQ on the pc, do those controls need to be set?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Forum,

I'm a longtime MAMEr, that I used to just run on my PC - but I just recently downloaded hyperspin, and and the MAME set to run on my shield, and tried to follow this tutorial.  I've run into some issue as I'm learning as I go.  Hyperspin starts, but there's nothing really going on.  My only options are to exit really. So I figured if I can get MAME going, I'll figure the rest out.  I've read through all 15 pages of this thread, and I still have a few questions.

1. The instructions say to download and install both Retroarch and Hyperspin, but there's nothing in the tutorial about retroarch configuration.  Is that correct?  If not, where are the instructions for configuring retroarch?
  2. I downloaded the Settings_Android-10May2015 pack.  Is this the latest?
  3. If I'm only working on MAME right now, what ini files have to be configured?  I'm assuming Android and MAME, but maybe settings.ini and main menu.ini as well?
  4. The MAME.ini in the Settings_Android-10May2015 pack references mame4droid in the exe= line.  Should that be changed to retroarch ( exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture)? Nobody actually specifies which ini file they're editing.  They're like 30 of them.  This is not that intuitive.

Answers to these questions should point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

@grymace welcome to the fold, I'm sure you will enjoy it once you Have MAME going.

Check out my pinned post on How to Setup Hyperspin It links to the Settings guide at the bottom.

My android base pack has some settings also and I may look at updating those next month as Retroarch has more cores.

For MAME emulator you have choices mame4droid works best v139 romset and is probably the most solid emulator but stuck with 2010 working games.

I have had better luck with Retroarch mame2010 core for things like cps2 for the above reason over the MAME current version core but that plain core from Retroarch is the only current MAME emulator on offer and is usually playable.

Take your core names from the libretro buildbot/Android/arm7 folders

thats where the online updater points to take the whole core_android_libretro.so name for your settings file parameter

and the exe line is the same for all cores. Lift that from one of the files you download settingsmay2015.

yes Retroarch needs some setup but there's plenty of info around on that

What's the best MAME choice for the latest ROM set 0.193, or are those newer games even playable?  Are we limited to the v139 as the latest working set under Hyperspin on the Shield?  I have the .193 set, but just don't know which core to go with (MAME 2010 in Retroarch)?  Does the MAME core in Retroarch that is listed with no label/year run the .193 set or should I use MAME4DRIOD and skip Retroarch?

MAME with no Year is latest and basically falls inline with official MAME so long as r-type updates the core which he has been doing quickly.

that core is commonly known as MAME Git

you will have to test newer games and let people know. I usually only play old games.

also afaik MAME in general has become more of a resource hog in last few years just because their priority is accuracy. Better accuracy tends to mean slower performance.

have  a play with some games and make a decision.

always good to report back so others can share the experience. :)

@thatman84

Thanks for the feedback.  I installed the Hyperspin Android base pack, and have two issues:

1. Hyperspin loaded, but there is no video, or transition after the intro video.  If I move up or down, and hit the select button, I enter a game menu - but I'm flying blind.  I can switch it to single mode - since I'm only installing MAME at this time - but eventually I will add other games.  Is there a video missing for the main menu?
  2. Sometimes when I select a game in MAME, it will briefly go blank and return back to the game selection.  Other times, it will take me to RetroArch settings.  I assume this is because the retroarch isn't configured.  Is there a comprehensive tutorial for integration with Hyperspin?

Thanks again..

No probs,

1. You have to grab video snaps yourself and place them in the relevant folders. Media/Main Menu/Vieos/MAME.mp4 etc

or media/MAME/videos/game name.mp4

PS transitions may be off in the main menu ini file see the pinned posts about settings for details

2. Not really a full guide because you need to just go through and configure the emulator 1st then Hyperspin will perform 100%. So long as your game names are the same in the xml all Hyperspin is doing is sending "launch-this game" 

it can be tricky but most games work fine

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm having trouble starting games on my Nvidia Shield TV. I just get a black screen in Retroarch and it freezes. I went to my Nvidia Shield Portable and the games run fine there. Annoying me as initally I had RetroArch 64 all set up and I switched to the 32 bit to get HyperSpin going (actually I think it was a good thing moving to the 32 bit anyway).

I know there's other frontends like Arc Browser but I had never tried HyperSpin before and was curious given its reputation. Anyone got any ideas? It's like it can't call the core when I click on a game. It can open the Mame4Droid emu and other emulators so it's definitely a RetroArch issue.

I have THE SOLUTION for retroarch issue. I had tested a while ago. If you have installed any version after the 1.7.7 (32 bit), you have to RESET completely your Shield Tv for fix. I tried now and the fix is ok. You are not able to install a newer version in 32 bit or to downgrade to 32 bit. probably remain certain files that are unable to config correctly retroarch. I repeat, the ONLY solution is to reset completely tour shield tested now for me and I'm very happy.

I'd better stick to the one thread from now on since this is specifically for the Shield. Sorry mods.

:edit: I went to set up Arc Browser again and the same thing is happening. RetroArch loads but just gives a black screen. There must be something wrong on my end.

I figured it out. I had moved my RetroArch app to the Shield's adopted storage. This caused the "cores" folder location to be in a weird non-default "mnt/expanded/2393494ff34" nonsense location. I moved the RetroArch app back to the Shield internal storage, cleared the app data and everything works now!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, sfanetti said:

Perfect, I tested. It's correct also for me. install retroarch on internal storage and not on adopted storage. Only a question: with this method, it's ok also the new version of retroarch 1.8.5? Thanks

Not everyone uses adopted storage and just have an external drive attached via USB. I do use adopted storage and I'm aware of this "issue", the STV seems to like installing apps by default to adopted storage. Internal storage is going to be quicker so I keep all apps installed on internal storage and android games which are large installs on adopted storage. The trick is to move the app after installing before actually launching it.

I've recently modded a Hyperspin.apk to use the Retroarch_ra32.apk. Google changed the rules for the Play store and devices use 32 or 64bit depending on what's native to the device (STV is 64bit). RA32 is the 32bit version we can sideload rather than use the Playstore version. When I have some free time I'll test my modded apk on the STV, my ini files will need editing to use ra32 v1.8.5. I have a lot of wheels and cores to install & test so it might take a while, once I'm happy with it I'll do a Youtube video and make the .apk available if people want to use it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All,

Just trying to get Hyperspin up and running on my new Nvidia shield. I've got a fair chunk of it working but my main issue at the moment is none of the media or artwork seem to be loading. What I have done so far

1. Inserted an 128 GB SDCard and formatted to be internal Sheild storage
  2. Google Bandits NVidia Shield Pack
  3. Culled a few roms to allow it to fit onto a 128GB card.
  4. Copied across all directories except some of the roms mentioned earlier into /internal/Hyperspin directory
  5. Followed Bandits youtube guide for install of everything else - 

Now I'm pretty sure the fact that roms are loading the path for Media should be fine it's just that none of it is playing. Here are some screenshots of the directory layout

https://imgur.com/a/V3np83l

and a link to the conents of my "Main Menu.ini" file - https://pastebin.pl/view/dc558242

I'm sure I'm missing something basic. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I worked it out. I saw on another thread someone talking about logcat so followed the instructions here and worked out how to turn on debugging.

1. To become a developer go to settings - about and click on build 7 times.
2. Back out to the main settings menu and go into developer options. Turn on network debugging, note the IP.
3. Grab adb platform tools from google. Just google “adb platform tools” and get the right one for your PCs OS.
4. Run adb connect IP from before.
5. Then run adb bugreport to get a packaged up log set. You can also run adb logcat to watch the stream of logs.

From there I ran the "adb connect 192.168.1.99:5555 > /tmp/hyperspin.log" from my laptop and then ran hyperspin on the nvidia shield. I dug into the logs and spotted this little gem

11-15 19:25:11.604 23281 23298 D HSFE-theme_loader: loading menu item 1
11-15 19:25:11.604 23281 23298 D HSFE-theme_loader: Open of '/sdcard/Hyperspin/Media/Main Menu/Themes/Default.zip' failed: No such file or directory
11-15 19:25:11.604 23281 23298 D HSFE-png_helper: Open of '/sdcard/Hyperspin/Media/Main Menu/Themes/Default.zip' failed: No such file or directory
11-15 19:25:11.605 23281 23298 D HSFE-swf_helper: Open of '/sdcard/Hyperspin/Media/Main Menu/Themes/Default.zip' failed: No such file or directory

My Themes folders just contained files and no Default.zip so on a hunch I just compressed the entire contents of this directory into a file called Default.zip and it fixed all my issues :)

I posted this here in case someone else runs into the issue. Now off to compress the other Theme folders.

Now to work out why MAME games are not loading.....

Edit Edit: OK the themes from Bandit's pack are pretty broken. I suspect there must have been an update to Hyperspin since it was originally made. Looks like I might be building some of this from scratch. Still not sure why MAME isn't working but it's probably the same issue. That video above is only from 2019 though so not sure why it doesn't work as well as expected.

• 9 months later...

Buenas alguien sabría decirme o explicarme cómo hacer una lista personalizada donde incluya roms de diferentes sistemas? Quisiera hacer colección de algún juegos que tienen roms en diferentes sistemas

edite los archivos Final Fight Collection.xml

<game name=" NOMBRE DE LA ROM" index="true" image="0">

<descripción>NOMBRE DE LA ROM</descripción>

<clonof></cloneof>

<crc></crc>

exe = com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

parameters = cores/stella_libretro_android.so

PUSE ESTO EN CADA UNO DE LOS DIFERENTES JUEGOS CADA UNO CON EL SUYO, mame con mame súper Nintendo con el suyo…

<fabricante></fabricante>

<año></año>

<género></género>

<rating></rating>

<habilitado>Sí</habilitado>

</juego>

Y luego en el Final Fight Collection.ini dejé esos parametros en blanco par que los lea de los xml

Pero no logro lanzar los juegos desde la colección

El vídeo donde lo vi es este pero es para pc 

https://youtu.be/KO_OH9k-pdE

Dejo mis archivos que cree aunque no están bien

Final Fight Collection.ini Final Fight Collection.xml

Good one would know how to tell me or explain how to make a personalized list where it includes roms from different systems? I’d like to collect some games that have roms on different systems

Edit the Final Fight Collection.xml files

<game name=" NAME OF THE ROM" index="true" image="0">

<description>NAME OF THE ROM</description>

<clonof></cloneof>

<crc></crc>

Exe = com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

Parameters = cores/stella_libretro_android.so

PUSE THIS ONE ONE OF THE DIFFERENTS GAMES EVERE ONE WITH YOUR SUY, I'll mame with my super Nintendo with your own...

<Manufacturer></manufacturer>

<year></year>

<gender></gender>

<rating></rating>

<Habilited>Yes</habilited>

</game>

And then in the Final Fight Collection.ini I left those parameters blank to read them from the xml

But I can't throw the games from the collection

The video where I saw it is this, but it's for PC

Https://youtu.be/KO_OH9k-pdE

I leave my files, what do you think, even though they're not fine?

Archived