Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How To Set Up HyperSpin on the Nvidia Shield (Beginners Guide)

Fromlostdays

Drop your SMS settings ini in here and explain the location of your rom.

also recently I have seen that people have had to use a recent nightly of Retroarch to be able to load the games directly from HS. Which is very strange as I have only ever needed the plays tire version.

as to why your just hitting the retroarch menu or previously running game I expect you exe and parameter line is ok but rompath/name is not. Hyperspin is sending the launch command to retroarch but not the correct rom location to actually run a game.

fYi you should always close a game in retroarch before trying to launch from HS 

thanks for the base pack feedback.

will have a look at that. Been meaning to do a retroarch/HS tutorial with a video this time but waiting for the RA 1.4 release to come out on play store 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure thing- attached is my ini for Sega Master System, which should also be the one from your pack BEFORE and WITHOUT changing it via an edit nor the replacement ini from your optional step. I did not edit it because I figured if it works on one shield it will work on all.  I doubt one has to worry about the variant of 16gb model vs the 500gb one. :)

Sega Master System.ini

Cool

so you have your SMS roms in sms extension format, located in

Hyperspin/Emulators/Sega Master System/roms

you have the picodrive core downloaded and you have launched a sms rom directly from retroarch.

and with retroarch closed (by quit retroarch in blue menu)

you browse and launch a sms rom from Hyperspin what happens?

Confirming all you wrote, any sms game launched from HS will either not launch (as indicated by the screen doing a quick blink), or not launch but go to a black screen like it tried barely longer than the blink.  Very strange.

I also tried additional steps:

- "closing" the game after launching in Retroarch before quitting via blue menu

- variations of the above using Load Core, then selecting a game vs 'load content and detect core'.  I also tried just loading the picodrive core, then quitting without launching a game.

Same results in HS.  I've verified the rom name matched the xml too.

It's very strange. This issue seems to have cropped up over last few weeks. It's not happening to me. I just updated the core on my setup and it's all fine.

when I get a chance I will try and recreate your exact setup

people have reported its fine with a nightly build. I just don't get why.

only time I have seen this issue is when a bios is required but sms don't need that

Yeah. You only need to copy the nightly APK to internal storage then run it.

sideload launcher enables you to easily get to the side loaded APK instead of digging through the Nvidia menus to launch it.

i would like to test why this has happened though.

if you get a chance try it from scratch again!

uninstall RA

reinstall

update Pico core

update core info

tuen per core config on

check directories are set to user access directories (should be default)

launch sms rom from RA

go into HS and launch same rom

let me know (if it launches open RA menu and set config directory to the same one as normal RA hit Save NEW config) then also close the core and hit save current config to save the Hyperspin retroarch.cfg file with those settings.

Already ahead of ya... :) I uninstalled the google play store version and did the nightly.  At first I had a major gfx issue where the menu was hardly navigable because it was in black and white... sigh... I uninstalled the 12-30-16 build for the 12-29 and it fixed that issue. All this is working much better now.  Can swap between systems in Hyperspin now, but one more thing: it may have been discussed but is there a way to exit a game without having to exit the game via RA->exit retroarch to get back to the HS games menu? Would love like on a pc where you hit ESC to do a one button return.

On 7/28/2015 at 0:08 AM, reznnate said:

The shader options are available once you're in a game, within 'quick menu' is a 'shader options' menu.

Is there a better way so as not have to set shader options per game?  Is there a per system or per core option?

3 hours ago, phantasy said:

Already ahead of ya... :) I uninstalled the google play store version and did the nightly.  At first I had a major gfx issue where the menu was hardly navigable because it was in black and white... sigh... I uninstalled the 12-30-16 build for the 12-29 and it fixed that issue. All this is working much better now.  Can swap between systems in Hyperspin now, but one more thing: it may have been discussed but is there a way to exit a game without having to exit the game via RA->exit retroarch to get back to the HS games menu? Would love like on a pc where you hit ESC to do a one button return.

Good stuff

yeah it's under settings -> input -> hotkeys 

the quit hot key will do it.

i use the enable key also but this means you have to press a button before the quit key or any other hotkey (menu button)

not sure how the override stuff works fully but you should be able to have a global shader. Set the shader up and save as core override probably

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my NES works great, my SNES9x does not. I am using Faticom Snes9x and it wont load the games. this is my current setup, can anyone pelase help?

[exe info]
path=H:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\
rompath=Emulators/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/roms/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=zip,sfc
parameters=cores/bsnes_mercury_performance_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false

Thank you in advance!

sorry if this was answered already, but I'm just starting out.

I installed hyperspin and retroarch on my shield tv. I am currently using a 64gb usb 3.0 hd as a removable drive. I put the hyperspin setup (followed the guide on post 1) with sega genesis roms for now... in the root of the usb. How exactly does the hyperspin install on my shield's internal memory know to access the hyperspin folder in the removable HD? I assume I have to point it there manually by editing something?

It should see your Hyperspin folder by default. (You need to create a Hyperspin folder) Thus showing all of you artwork/media setups.

its the rompath= in all of your .ini settings files that will need adjusting for the location of your roms.

easy solution is to place your roms inside the Hyperspin folder usually Hyperspin/Emulators/Sega Genesis/roms

replacing Sega Genesis for the different systems you have

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2016 at 0:43 PM, herosdroid said:

I managed to solve my own problem.. Those three .ini files were missing some information, and I copied all the original .ini files from filter down over to the new ones, and now all the systems work properly in android for anyone else who had that problem

Thank you!   I just got a SHIELD and set everything up, and this was driving me crazy!!

Does anyone know if (how) to enable Attract mode?  I believe that's what it's called - the mode where when you don't pick a game after a minute or two, the wheel randomly spins and shows different games?  I have this set up on my PC version of Hyperspin, but don't know how to do it on the SHIELD version.

15 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Don't think attract mode works.

check reznates sticky thread for compatible settings and I did a tutorial breakdown on settings showing the compatible features . Look for (Tutorial) main settings or system settings.

Oh well.  That's a shame about the attract mode.  Thank you for the response and info re the sticky.  I'm going to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody:

Im trying to set up correctly HyperSpin on Nvidia Shield TV, but no success on several systems. I´ll try to be specific in all i have done.

All setted up and only system that runs properly is Mame. Also tried without success:
Neo Geo
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Entertainment System
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
Sega 32X
Syper Nintendo Entertainment System

Whats the problem? When I try to run a game, screen blinks and come back to Console System Menu. Here a video where you can check Mame works properly and NeoGeo not.

https://youtu.be/dkmxrVNMaaA

Im using a 25 GB Hyperspin pack. Anyway, i tried with fresh one linked on this thread, but get same results. In both case, I used "ini´s" linked at first post of this thread.

Things I tried and some data:
- Installed Hyperspin and RA directly from Google PS.
- Hyperspin copied on USB. Hyperspin is at root of USB. Here you can see ES Explorer screenshot.
2DF8BEE0-CEC8-41DB-A090-2F2326162816_zps
- Also I tried with RA Nightly recommended by thatman84.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/

I choosed 2017-03-05-RetroArch. Problem persists.
- I respect Capital caracters, removed last "/", and setted "roms only" to "true".

At this point, whit this information, only rest to give some .ini info. Focusing in NeoGeo device, here is my "Neo Geo.ini"

[exe info]
path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\Neo Geo\
rompath=Emulators/Neo Geo/roms
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=zip
parameters=cores/fb_alpha_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true
Per_Game_Modules=false
Skipchecks=false

I DO appreciate your help. I have read and read a lot... and no idea what happens or i could do.

Archived