Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

MAME GLSL Banding // Good Settings?

newoski

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to setup GLSL with MAME. It's working, but it looks pretty bad compared to HLSL. There's horrible banding across the screen in games like 1943. 

Does anyone have any recommended settings?

There aren't really any settings unlike hlsl you just choose your shader which at the moment is either Lottes or Geom.

You may need to specify whether you use the vertical shader for vertical game and the horizontal shader for horizontal games.

Best way to do that is to create an ini file for each type, so for vertical games create a vertical.ini and for horizontal create a horizont.ini (yes that is the correct spelling, I did spell it wrong until put right :) )

I'll attach mine shortly, you'll just need to change the shader path.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to drag up an old thread.I have had a load of issues getting HLSL so I decided to give GLSL a go. I've successfully enabled the Geom HQ shader and it looks fab on the few games I've tested it on. I'm not, however, seeing any rounded corners etc. I've only applied the shader by editing a single line in the MAME.ini (video opengl / and also referencing the Geom HQ shader). It looks like you can reference multiple shaders in the .ini... so, should I be applying some other effects here to get the rounded screen/corners/bloom/other effects etc?

Cheers guys - appreciate it

ras

Hi guys,

Sorry to drag up an old thread.I have had a load of issues getting HLSL so I decided to give GLSL a go. I've successfully enabled the Geom HQ shader and it looks fab on the few games I've tested it on. I'm not, however, seeing any rounded corners etc. I've only applied the shader by editing a single line in the MAME.ini (video opengl / and also referencing the Geom HQ shader). It looks like you can reference multiple shaders in the .ini... so, should I be applying some other effects here to get the rounded screen/corners/bloom/other effects etc?

Cheers guys - appreciate it

ras

Do you have a screen shot? It is kind of subtle on mame compared with the RetroArch version. You would probably adjust it in the shader file.

Thanks a lot, guys. Changing the settings in the shader files themselves makes sense! Gigapig, yours looks AMAZING!! Can you share your settings?

There's not much to share other than the glsl folder, I can post that of course.

I'm using bgfx at the moment but switched back to opengl for that screen shot.

Thanks mate, do you mind posting your GLSL folder and also your MAME.ini that references the shaders you have enabled? Your screenshot looks FANTASTIC and if I can get mine looking that way I'll be a very happy chappie :)

Cheers dude

P.S: What's BGFX?

Thanks mate, do you mind posting your GLSL folder and also your MAME.ini that references the shaders you have enabled? Your screenshot looks FANTASTIC and if I can get mine looking that way I'll be a very happy chappie :)

Cheers dude

P.S: What's BGFX?

Here's your files. I have not included a mame.ini only the vertical and horizont ini as they will override the mame.ini. Each one is using a slightly different shader.

glsl.rar

Ini.rar

As for BGFX, it's still new. This should explain it.

Hey giga, thanks again for the files. I'm using MAME64 - how do I tell MAME to reference the correct shader to ensure the right one is used for both Horizontal and Vertical games? Does this happen automatically or do I need to configure on a 'per game' basis?

Finally, exactly which Shaders do you have selected in your MAME.ini to get the round corners etc? I only have one referenced in my .ini, but I see that you can apply multiple filters at once?

Thank you once more

Craig

Hey giga, thanks again for the files. I'm using MAME64 - how do I tell MAME to reference the correct shader to ensure the right one is used for both Horizontal and Vertical games? Does this happen automatically or do I need to configure on a 'per game' basis?

Finally, exactly which Shaders do you have selected in your MAME.ini to get the round corners etc? I only have one referenced in my .ini, but I see that you can apply multiple filters at once?

Thank you once more

Craig

Each ini file I sent you has a referencing a different shader, so for vertical games mame will use "CRT Geom HQ Vertical" and for horizontal it will use "CRT Geom HQ".

You will find were it's adding here under Mame0.

#
# OpenGL-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
glslpath                  glsl
gl_forcepow2texture       0
gl_notexturerect          0
gl_vbo                    1
gl_pbo                    1
gl_glsl                   1
gl_glsl_filter            1
gl_glsl_sync              0
glsl_shader_mame0         "CRT Geom HQ Vertical"
glsl_shader_mame1         none
glsl_shader_mame2         none
glsl_shader_mame3         none
glsl_shader_mame4         none
glsl_shader_mame5         none
glsl_shader_mame6         none
glsl_shader_mame7         none
glsl_shader_mame8         none
glsl_shader_mame9         none
glsl_shader_screen0       none
glsl_shader_screen1       none
glsl_shader_screen2       none
glsl_shader_screen3       none
glsl_shader_screen4       none
glsl_shader_screen5       none
glsl_shader_screen6       none
glsl_shader_screen7       none
glsl_shader_screen8       none
glsl_shader_screen9       none

If you want to change the shader then you would look in the glsl folder and copy the name of the shader and paste it into the mame0 section (perhaps "CRT Geom Bloom Vertical" or maybe you could double up the shader and add another to mame1

All my ini files are in the ini folder, makes sure yours are the same and you don't have a mame.ini in the root folder. The two ini files I sent you will override the Mame.ini. 

If you have specific info in your Mame.ini then that will need to be copied over to the vertical and horizont ini's.

Hi Giga, that's brilliant! I'll get this tried out over the weekend (unfortunately, I'm working late tonight so won't be at home to test).

I already have "CRT Geom HQ" configured at the moment, but the shader isn't displaying the 'rounded corners' you posted earlier in your screenshot. I suspect that, at some stage, you've edited the shader file directly to get that CRT 'look'.

I'll back up my MAME folder and replace my GLSL folder with yours, updating the .ini files as you've instructed.

Really appreciate all your help, mate :)

ras

What are you thinking of bgfx giga?

I'm liking it so far, although I am just using the Geom json which is very similar to the opengl version. It's good to be able to flick through the different shaders from the tab menu.

Just another thing to play around with.

Thank you once more

Craig

I'm guessing Giga explained this above already, but you set your vertical shader in your vertical.ini & horizontal shader in your horizont.ini.

As for how to do rounded corners etc... You must not have read the instruction link I posted for you earlier?

Sent from my SM-G935V

I'm guessing Giga explained this above already, but you set your vertical shader in your vertical.ini & horizontal shader in your horizont.ini.

As for how to do rounded corners etc... You must not have read the instruction link I posted for you earlier?

Sent from my SM-G935V

Hi mate,

Sorry, I did see that but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet; will do so now.

I'm gonna back up my MAME folder then drop Giga's GLSL and ini's in and see how things look first..... then I'll move onto tweaking the shaders if required. Does MAME know when a vertical/horizontal game is loaded and automatically use the correct .ini corresponding to the screen orientation?

Cheers

Craig

Archived