Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

MAME GLSL Banding // Good Settings?

newoski

Also, I forgot to ask - Do the GLSL shaders work for the majority of horiz/vert games or do we need to make lots of different versions of the shaders, based on specific game resolutions etc?

Thanks again guys

ras

Mame knows which ini file to use if they are named correctly and the shader will show on all games unless you create a ini named after the driver or specific game.

I have a few ini files for the likes of Darius which originally had 3 screens side by side. I tweaked the shader to remove the rounded corners for that game and a few others so the screen blend into one. You'll find that shader in the glsl folder (CRT Geom HQ No curve) but I did not include the ini files for those.

Hi Giga,

Tried your GLSL files and they are perfect!!!

I literally just replaced my GLSL folder with yours and everything just works. Tried the following games: Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Track & Field, 1942, Shadow Warriors. All games look fantastic with ever so slightly rounded corners. Even 1942 (vertical) looks superb.. I can only assume that MAME just rotates the scanlines vertically. This is without me actually copying the vertical and horizontal .ini files (I'm calling the shaders from my main MAME.ini in the root of my MAME install folder).

If MAME auto rotates and the scanlines just work on vertical and horizontal games, what is the point of the individual .ini files ?

Thanks guys

ras

Hi Giga,

Tried your GLSL files and they are perfect!!!

I literally just replaced my GLSL folder with yours and everything just works. Tried the following games: Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Track & Field, 1942, Shadow Warriors. All games look fantastic with ever so slightly rounded corners. Even 1942 (vertical) looks superb.. I can only assume that MAME just rotates the scanlines vertically. This is without me actually copying the vertical and horizontal .ini files (I'm calling the shaders from my main MAME.ini in the root of my MAME install folder).

If MAME auto rotates and the scanlines just work on vertical and horizontal games, what is the point of the individual .ini files ?

Thanks guys

ras

There are horizontal and vertical versions of the shaders. The point of the different ini's is so you can have the correct ones used with the correct screen orientation.

That's why you have a CRT Geom HQ (horizontal) and a CRT Geom HQ Vertical (vertical).

Also not all games seem to work correctly with GLSL in MAME (at least up to 175). There are several that don't seem to scale pixels correctly (Rampage, AArgh, Arch Rivals and many more). For those I use HLSL and a custom ini for that game. 

There are horizontal and vertical versions of the shaders. The point of the different ini's is so you can have the correct ones used with the correct screen orientation.

That's why you have a CRT Geom HQ (horizontal) and a CRT Geom HQ Vertical (vertical).

Also not all games seem to work correctly with GLSL in MAME (at least up to 175). There are several that don't seem to scale pixels correctly (Rampage, AArgh, Arch Rivals and many more). For those I use HLSL and a custom ini for that game.

Any chance you want to share your custom ini's for those games metal? I plan on setting up my glsl tonight after work and would really appreciate it if you could

Ok, understood, but, as I suggested, I haven't actually copied the vertical and horizontal .ini files and things 'just work' - 1942 looked perfect with vertical scanlines 'without' me using those specific .ini's and ONLY referencing "CRT Geom HQ" :)

So, again, what is the point of the individual .ini's if vertical games are automatically re-orineted with scanlines flowing the correct way?

I haven't tried this on other vertical games, mind you... so perhaps things are different on other games

Any chance you want to share your custom ini's for those games metal? I plan on setting up my glsl tonight after work and would really appreciate it if you could

Here are the ones I've done. These are for MAME 175 and uses Jezze's rez fix thing... or was that 174 and he built his scaling fix into 175? I can't remember. Should work.

INIs of doom.zip

glsl seems to be running slow for me in mame 177..... funny thing is hlsl is faster. my system is only a i3, so it's not like it's all that beefy to begin with... perhaps i need to tweak some setting like I did with previous versions of mame. to be honest I'm still happy with the scanline effects but glsl does look amazIng and I love the curve on certain games.

glsl seems to be running slow for me in mame 177..... funny thing is hlsl is faster. my system is only a i3, so it's not like it's all that beefy to begin with... perhaps i need to tweak some setting like I did with previous versions of mame. to be honest I'm still happy with the scanline effects but glsl does look amazIng and I love the curve on certain games.

Me too, the ever so slight CRT style 'vignetting' at the corners looks AWESOME! It's all about the nostalgia and 'feels' :)

I simply can't get HLSL to work - MAME craps out every time, complaining about Direct3D and creation of windows. I've installed DirectX9c (running Windows 10), but it makes no difference!

GLSL looks awesome, however, and I'm more than happy with CRT Geom HQ - looks fantastic!!!

Cheers

Craig

• 2 months later...

What MAME build is everyone using?  I'm on MameUI64 (the latest, ver .179) and most options are  not present for glsl. I finally got MAME back working in RL and HS with hlsl, but I find it funny I cannot do it natively within MameUI64!  I thank Gigapig for the pm and link to the tutorial but even with Arcade64 (based off of MameUIFX)  I still couldn't get the bugger to work.  At least hlsl has progressed to the point that there are now debates over  hlsl vs glsl. :)

Yeah, when I used the files from Simply Austin's download link on youtube in setting up MAME (of which he thanks you Gigapig for them), there were three files in the hlsl folder that wrecked all games to a black screen (I've posted about this a few times). It's no one's fault [but perhaps time] as his video now is over a year old.  I downloaded the Arcade 64 file from this site which had a hlsl folder, and when I copied/replaced all it's hlsl folder files into my MAME directory hlsl folder, I was then able to set RL settings in my MAME.ahk to hlsl true in both global and mame in mame and all works like a charm. Seems like your (Gigapig) tutorial vid and most sites promoting glsl is using a variant of MAMEFX (which Arcade64 is too). I must finalize everything in MAMEUI first before deciding on a build, and must learn the exact game support differences why MAME has 33k+ and Arcade64 has 9k+.  Then I may switch for the added tweaking ability (and to find out more about uncensored Strider!!). :)

Archived