Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

CNC Design - Input Needed

ouguitarman

Hi Guys,

I am finishing up a bartop kit.  I really tried to include everything I have learned/wanted over the last 10 years or so building these things.  We just got the first prototype put together yesterday and I think we are really close.  Wanted to hit some expertise here to give me some input on design changes or additional offerings that would make the kit more complete.

My Main Goals:

No painting and/or easy to apply graphics

No power tools needed

Easy to assemble via cam lock system

Accommodate a 22" widescreen monitor

Includes all plexiglass pre-cut

Includes photoshop files so it is easy to design your own graphics

pocketed so under mounting sanwa joysticks are high enough on control panel

No hidden huge shipping costs

Very reasonable overall cost

Rear door opens on hinge for easy access

Room for micro ATX motherboard and pwoer supply for HyperSpin type setups (most people will probably opt for Rpi2 with Emulationstation)

Side note: The prototype does not have the tmolding slots, but the finished product will....

Attached are some pictures of the prototype and here are the few changes left to make (unless you guys give me a few others that make sense)

We need to move the monitor back and change the angle, the drill bit went too deep on a few spots, one cam lock rod was in the incorrect place, and we are going to pre-drill joystick holes through both the control panel wood and plex for even easier assemble.  The goal is you will not need any power tools, just a simple phillips screwdriver and 15 min!

Additional changes:  We are going to offer a 1 or 2 player control panel board (with accompanying plexi match).  The 2 player control panel is as listed.  We are working on a new design for the 1 player that will have 1 player controls (like you see on the two player board), but also support a 2″ trackball where the two player is located in the product pictures.  The 1 player with trackball option will be available within two weeks of the 2 player launch.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan

post-7840-0-36184000-1439656201_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-45306200-1439656206_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-49454200-1439656211_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-56697900-1439656216_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-83219100-1439656222_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-98479800-1439656227_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-49513600-1439656232_thumb.jpg

I dunno, seems like you are only around here to try to sell your bartops but here is my input.

-You are just ripping off/using the standard weecade design. Done by many, you can buy kits for it out there all over the place. You should try to do something different at least.

- I dunno about others but the straight 6 button design is not very comfortable for the fingers, maybe others like it though who knows.

- Cam locks are absolutely horrible and should never be used in something you want to sell as being of "quality". There is a reason why you see all cheap furniture with them. Can't stand stuff built with them also the worst pile of garbage.I know you are going for the whole, hey look at my bartop and how you can put it together with just a screw driver, come buy from me. But I wouldn't go that route if I were trying to actually make them to sell.

Ok...  I am looking for input not slams.  Feel free to google hyperspin and notice my post on how to configure hyperspin comes to the top along with countless other sites that reference it (reddit, etc).  Or you can view my post on how to configure guns, set them up with HOTD and on and on.  I am only trying to solve problems I have found over the many years building these things to speed the process (economically) along for guys wanting to build one.  I am also a platinum member here and always push HyperSpin as the best frontend software.  

Anyways....  I like the weecade look, just made it better and more functional for HyperSpin in my opinion.  I struggled with the street fighter layout vs the semi curved layout (still not 100%).  I think a cam system like ikea is fantastic compared to just being delivered wood and having to screw it together somehow.  Personally, I am not the best carpenter so having a quick assemble system that would be hard for me to screw up would be preferable.  I did not want people to have to use screws, dowels, or glue.  I will consider you input on the button layout, because I agree that might be a more comfortable layout. 

Thanks,

Well your opening post was more on the style of a pitch to buyers for your cabinet than asking for input. 

Are there people who will be interested in a simple screw together knock down fastener cabinet? Sure. 

Will they be interested when they start to see it exhibit the downfalls of those fasteners? Nope.

Everyone likes the weecade design, especially sellers because they don't have to have any design skills because the files for it are readily available. They are a dime a dozen and can be bought from many people. Besides the fasteners you did not add anything else to it I haven't seen others have. Just trying to help you out, if you want to break into a cabinet market then going with an overly saturated cabinet design that people can buy cheaper from others than what you sell for is probably not the best idea. 

I hear ya.  I will look at other designs in the future, but feel this is best to start with.  Thank you

I like it. Anything that is easier to many = better. So nice job. I wish you the best of luck.

I am a dyi kinda gut and build my own stuff but like the concept.

I agree.  Based on feedback from other sites, I think I am going to move from the street fighter straight to the more finger friendly curved layout.  I am also going to put the player start buttons on the control panel instead of the button panel.

I really like this idea!
It's perfect for people that have limited workspace and tools!
My only problem is availability in Canada and of course shipping costs.

I've already built 2 full size cabinets but now I'd like to build something more compact but don't have the time or energy to do it!

One thing I would recommend is perhaps using one-sided finished plywood instead of MDF. This is much easier to work with and weighs a lot less.
Also, you could use a router to round off the edges instead of using T-moulding.

Perhaps you can market your product on kickstarter and promote it as an easy to assemble alternative to what's out there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of backers from the "all-thumbs" retro gamers out there.
Good luck!

I really like this idea!

It's perfect for people that have limited workspace and tools!

My only problem is availability in Canada and of course shipping costs.

I've already built 2 full size cabinets but now I'd like to build something more compact but don't have the time or energy to do it!

One thing I would recommend is perhaps using one-sided finished plywood instead of MDF. This is much easier to work with and weighs a lot less.

Also, you could use a router to round off the edges instead of using T-moulding.

Perhaps you can market your product on kickstarter and promote it as an easy to assemble alternative to what's out there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of backers from the "all-thumbs" retro gamers out there.

Good luck!

I did some mock shipping to Canada and it looks like $80, I would give a $30 or so credit for the USA "free shipping" and would be around $50 which is not too bad for international (you tell me).  I am considering kickstarter to try and get higher volume numbers so I can offer an even better price.  My problem with Plywood is most people will want to paint which IMO is a mess in most cases.  I am really going from box to playing in the same weekend (including controls, computer, software configuring, etc).  Really appreciate the feedback!

Doesn't look bad.

I like the easy-to-put-together idea.

However:

-Ditch the straight 6 button layout.

-make it smooth, ready to paint/decal wood instead of MDF

-Are the joystick/controls not centered in relation to each other? The P1 side loos to far to the right.

-P1 and P2 buttons on top of the CP.

-Can it be re-worked so the control panel isn't inside of the sides (cramping hand space) but on top of the sides opening it up?

My advice after buying a crap kit from someone on ebay after a friend of mine commissioned me to build him a weecade.

Make sure the admin buttons at the front of the cab do not collide with the joysticks and buttons at the top using both Asian style and American/Euro sticks. I was forced to build the cab as a 1 player until i can sort this issue out. Even IL short buttons collide with the top buttons on this kit i bought. Terrible design flaw.

I'd encourage you to use 1/2 mdf.This one is less of a functionality but just a visual preference. Using 3/4 just doesn't look to scale to me on these things.

I have to agree with Metalzoic and ditch the 6-straight button config for 6 curved button layout. On these bartops space is a premium and any little bit you can squeeze in for 2 people is a huge plus.

Going further to what others have mentioned re control panel space... Have you considered gold leaf buttons?

http://www.ozstick.com.au/product/goldleaf-pushbutton/

I am using them in a bartop I'm putting together atm. They are quite a bit shorter.

some encoders still rely on NO (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) switch poles to work properly. That means stuff like Goldleaf buttons cannot be used across the board.

some encoders still rely on NO (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) switch poles to work properly. That means stuff like Goldleaf buttons cannot be used across the board.

ooooh don't tell me that... I just purchased some gold leaf buttons for my ipac 2. :(

This is all so great!  I love hyperspin and the community.  I modified the button layout based on feedback from here an a couple other forums.  Please see the attached picture and provide feedback.  Also, we are test fitting with both sanwa and happ controls.  There is plenty of clearance.  This is the draft of the psd file a person get with the orders so guys can layout their own graphics in the proper size easy (marquee, sides, button panels).

new-layout.png

Another question...  I have a guy already pre-order several.  He mentioned having some with a blank control panel board.  so It will still have the cam lock system, but essentially be a blank canvas for then to cut their own holes.  Do you guys think a blank control panel option would be worth offering?

Another question...  I have a guy already pre-order several.  He mentioned having some with a blank control panel board.  so It will still have the cam lock system, but essentially be a blank canvas for then to cut their own holes.  Do you guys think a blank control panel option would be worth offering?

I don't see why not. If I got one it would be a blank simply because I think 6 buttons is to few and would want 8.

I also think you really need to fix the CP so it is either above the sides or sits level with the sides so it is less confined. Lowering the cut of the sides to be level shouldn't be a problem.

Actually rather than lower the cut of the sides, simply raise the CP up so that it sits flush with the sides. This would also make the CP deeper underneath leaving even more room for wiring, joysticks etc...

You also mentioned a plexi screen. Is it slightly tinted (which looks better) and what about a bezel?

I don't see why not. If I got one it would be a blank simply because I think 6 buttons is to few and would want 8.

I also think you really need to fix the CP so it is either above the sides or sits level with the sides so it is less confined. Lowering the cut of the sides to be level shouldn't be a problem.

I will talk to him about moving the cp up even with the sides or the sides down a bit lower.  Thanks!

I am considering one of this due to lack of space and no time to build my own cab. But I would prefer 8 led buttons + touch screen
But how those led buttons blinks and light up according to the system selected by player. Still cant figure out.

I am considering one of this due to lack of space and no time to build my own cab. But I would prefer 8 led buttons + touch screen

But how those led buttons blinks and light up according to the system selected by player. Still cant figure out.

I think you need rgb buttons and led blinky software to do the buttons lite up by system.  I think 8 buttons for 2 players will be very cramped.  

ooooh don't tell me that... I just purchased some gold leaf buttons for my ipac 2. :(

The ultimarc Ipac can handle 2 players, 8 buttons and an array of option buttons plus 2 reprogrammable buttons per player without having to use NO/NC trick or shifted key function. You are in the clear here.

This is all so great!  I love hyperspin and the community.  I modified the button layout based on feedback from here an a couple other forums.  Please see the attached picture and provide feedback.  Also, we are test fitting with both sanwa and happ controls.  There is plenty of clearance.  This is the draft of the psd file a person get with the orders so guys can layout their own graphics in the proper size easy (marquee, sides, button panels).

new-layout.png

Be careful with the buttons at the highest point on the top panel. They may interfere with the monitor and plexi angle.

Yes. Primarily for guys that want to have their own custom stuff and/or trackball.

I wanted to put up some of the new prototype pictures.  We are planned to go into production next week.  Notice the new monitor angle and the slots for where the plexi glass will fit on the side view.  I also posted what is the new control panel and button layout.  I just did a quick put together with some of the new parts mainly around the monitor tilt, so did not put the new control panel on the unit again.  I plan to have the monitor moved down .25" to account for other monitor types that may have a slightly larger top bezel.  We put the wood together in about 10min which was the goal.  Full video with controls, etc coming with the production builds next week.  

post-7840-0-68951300-1440195554_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-78990400-1440195561_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-30467700-1440195570_thumb.jpg

post-7840-0-49769500-1440195575_thumb.jpg

Buttons are way better. What about raising the CP to be even with the sides?

If that gets fixed then I may send a sale your way. A dude I work with wants one like mine, but without the huge amount of work and learning.

He'd probably love this and then I'd just set it up with MAME for him.

Archived