Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Cabinet start up button

ninja2bceen

Howdy again

I'm wondering about smart power strips. Currently I have a power strip with everything plugged in. Therefore this required me to open the cabinet and press the power button on my computer. Note that the power strip is also connected to a power supple so in order to turn on the monitor as well I have to flip the power supple switch to on first to get the monitor on, then to push the computer on.

I'm looking into a way to turn on everything with one press. I have a empty casing in the top right corner of the cabinet where I could add a button to turn the computer on but I have no idea how to install that button and connect it to my computers power button.

The goal here is to turn everything on and off with one button with out multiple steps or improperly shutting down my computer

Please provide tutorials, products or prices as to how to get this done

Many thanks

A smart power strip would be the way to go with that. Then you could wire a power button to the power button on your PC. That would turn everything on that was connected to the smart power strips outlets. You can also set what the power button does in the power settings. Shutdown, sleep etc.

Edit: I completely missed the part where you said that you didn't know how to wire that button up. let me see what I can find.

Keep in mind that a cab will be sitting in non-use for a long time. Smart strips are cool and all, but a PC hooked to an AC line effectively is in bleeding-power-mode until it is turned on again. Considering this, I thought it better to set up my cab so that when the AC line is flicked back on, the PC wakes and the monitor powers on.

Nice everyone. I think the smart strip is the way to go. I would plug in the computer as the source to turn everything on. As long as plugs are not in the red ones there isn't a always on issue

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgMu01kfxQ

Now that's out of the way, does anyone have video tutorials of them hooking up the computer power button to a arcade button?

Nice everyone. I think the smart strip is the way to go. I would plug in the computer as the source to turn everything on. As long as plugs are not in the red ones there isn't a always on issue

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgMu01kfxQ

Now that's out of the way, does anyone have video tutorials of them hooking up the computer power button to a arcade button?

You just unplug your PC power button from the motherboard pins and plug in your button instead.

If I remember right it's just that easy.

Then I mounted the button hidden on top of the cab. Pressing that button once powers up the PC, which then powers everything else plugged into the smart strip.

So it all turns on in order (monitor, sub, speakers, marquee, CP etc...) then when I'm done powers down in order with one press right from Hyperspin. If I ever want no power

running to it I can simply unplug it from the wall. That's it.

No exposed or dangerous looking wiring etc... just clean and simple.

Also don't know if is useful for you but maybe for someone else. Some motherboards have an option on bios setup to turn on immediately after getting power. So if you have everything connected to one electrical source you can turn that on and the PC will turn on too as wheel as monitor, speakers etc.

That way you have everything really turned off no energy at all on the system until you turn on the power source.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

I use a smart strip. Got the pc power switch hooked up to a arcade button like in those youtube videos. 

For power down i have it setup for hyperspin to shutdown the PC.

If exiting Hyperspin automatically powers down the cab, how do you exit Hyperspin to work on it, load RLauncher etc...?

If exiting Hyperspin automatically powers down the cab, how do you exit Hyperspin to work on it, load RLauncher etc...?

It's been awhile since I updated my cab, but I think you can "Alt-Tab" out. I can't remember for sure.

Or maybe it was Alt-Cntrl-Del and run a new explorer.exe? 

• 1 month later...

here is how its done. power entry module, regular power strip, arduino, relay board, ir library, ir led. there is nothing better imo.

That sounds complicated.

What does that do that simply wiring your PC power power button to a cab on/off button and a smart strip doesn't do?

That sounds complicated.

What does that do that simply wiring your PC power power button to a cab on/off button and a smart strip doesn't do?

the main thing would be sending an ir remote code to turn on/off an lcd tv. its great if you have an lcd or other hardware that does not come on when you simply plug it in. with an arduino in your cab it opens up other cool options too. its also cheap. 15$ or so. also it opens up the option of making every emulator timed coin op. Its great to control leds too.

What I did was used a surge protected power bar to plug everything in and spliced 2 wires in to the computer towers power button wires then mounted a hidden button in behind my arcade control panel, changed power settings to when power button is pressed shut down and it's all golden :)

Archived