Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

OBS recording software

craiganderson

obs free recording software

ok, actually got it up and running. recording videos at 60fps. but when i edit the scene (ie play with the size of game window to get it to match OBS window, they dont quite match up perfectly. so my options are either to stretch the game window in a funny way to make it match or have some black areas around the video. which is preferred? or do i change the resolution inside OBS to fix this mismatch?

thanks

buggy boy and cannon fodder are at 60fps

rainbow game is at 15fps

fyi

(but lol this video is at 15fps so i guess cant really tell difference....lol)

NKLtPBma6Pc

suggestions?

thanks a million

craig

You should resize the OBS window to match your emulator window not the other way around. Also make sure you capture it at 640x480.

I don't really know OBS so I can't help you with that, there are better video capturing applications though.

Well fraps I found so much easier. Set emulator for correct fullscreen resolution start recording and ya done.

what program do you then edit your videos with?

i have wondershare video editor but its output is max 30 fps ... which would defeat the 60 fps in the original recording

thanks

what program do you then edit your videos with?

i have wondershare video editor but its output is max 30 fps ... which would defeat the 60 fps in the original recording

thanks

I use VirtualDub with the ffinputdriver plugin to edit the .mp4 files that OBS spits out. It supports 60fps and probably any other framerate you can throw at it. I've made some simple Avisynth scripts (which are text files with an .avs extension you can drag and drop onto VirtualDub to use after you install Avisynth) that add fades and normalizes the audio volume of a title screen and gameplay clip to make my own preview vids for HyperSpin. I like having my own gameplay in my videos for that personal touch :). I spent some time figuring out how to use the external encoder support of Virtualdub in order to create nice quality .mp4s that work with Hyperspin. It looks like this guide explains how to do that pretty well.

An example of one of my Avisynth scripts (in case you are interested) is:

AVISource("game.avi").fadein2(30).fadeout2(30).Normalize(0.55) ++
\AVISource("int.avi").fadein2(30).fadeout2(30).Normalize(0.55)

That takes a gameplay clip named game.avi and adds a fade in and fade out, normalizes the audio, then combines it with a title screen clip named int.avi that also has the fades and normalization applied. Then I can go to File, Export, Using External Encoder in VirtualDub to save a finished .mp4 using my saved encoder settings.

I use VirtualDub with the ffinputdriver plugin to edit the .mp4 files that OBS spits out. It supports 60fps and probably any other framerate you can throw at it. I've made some simple Avisynth scripts (which are text files with an .avs extension you can drag and drop onto VirtualDub to use after you install Avisynth) that add fades and normalizes the audio volume of a title screen and gameplay clip to make my own preview vids for HyperSpin. I like having my own gameplay in my videos for that personal touch :). I spent some time figuring out how to use the external encoder support of Virtualdub in order to create nice quality .mp4s that work with Hyperspin. It looks like this guide explains how to do that pretty well.

An example of one of my Avisynth scripts (in case you are interested) is:

AVISource("game.avi").fadein2(30).fadeout2(30).Normalize(0.55) ++
\AVISource("int.avi").fadein2(30).fadeout2(30).Normalize(0.55)

That takes a gameplay clip named game.avi and adds a fade in and fade out, normalizes the audio, then combines it with a title screen clip named int.avi that also has the fades and normalization applied. Then I can go to File, Export, Using External Encoder in VirtualDub to save a finished .mp4 using my saved encoder settings.

thanks

At what rate does virtualdub record the output file? For the life of me,I cant figure it out.

thanks

At what rate does virtualdub record the output file? For the life of me,I cant figure it out.

Bitrate? When you save in AVI format I'm not really sure. I just saved an AVI and checked it in Media Player Classic's properties and it says:

Bit rate: 53.0 Mbps

Which I guess is the average.

Using the external encoder method you can change the video quality by changing the number after --crf in the command line for the video encoder. I don't know if there is a way to directly set a specific bitrate with the x264 video encoder like you can in OBS, but if you use a crf of 21 or lower it's pretty much lossless quality. There's some more info about crf here. Checking the average bitrate of a .mp4 I made with --crf 21 using the external encoder I get:

Bit rate: 452 Kbps

ok..almost got it all figured out

able to record 60 fps , split/edit and maintain 60fps

but i do not have a way to add AUDIO fade in /fade out without the program decreasing to 30 FPS

windows movie maker has a great fade in out option but decrease to 30 fps

any ideas?

craig

The Avisynth script above won't change the framerate.

Or you can use Sony Vegas for instance. But if you are submiting to Emumovies you need to submit the original source avi files in separate files without any fade added to it.

I use Bandicam to capture my guides, but previously used Camstudio which is free. You can also try Afterburner.

For my guides I edit with Movie Maker, which is very simple. But for video snaps the resulting video comes out stretched so I switched to Adobe Premiere which has more export options.

Like Polemicist says, try to avoid editing.

I did a dump of Touhou 13.5 and the two little clips raw from fraps kicked over at 1.5 gb. Tried following the guides to the letter and the file size of the larger file almost doubled. But uploaded the fraps source for Circo to have a look at. He pointed me to the submissions guidelines. Since I'd already tried following that to the letter I just deleted it off the FTP. Very difficult when the game only runs at 1280x720 even windowed and I can't find a custom.exe anywhere for it to change that. *sighs* Japanese games can suck that way but damn fun to play.

Yeah I know ...

:)

Then capture it at 1280x720 there's no problem with that. It will be converted to 480p during the final encode.

You can also encode the avi files as XviD to reduce the file size, this is also allowed. A simple VirtualDub script can do that for you automatically.

I use Bandicam to capture my guides, but previously used Camstudio which is free. You can also try Afterburner.

For my guides I edit with Movie Maker, which is very simple. But for video snaps the resulting video comes out stretched so I switched to Adobe Premiere which has more export options.

Like Polemicist says, try to avoid editing.

It comes out "stretched" even though you can set the height and width variables? thanks

post-92809-14287062445_thumb.png

ok..almost got it all figured out

able to record 60 fps , split/edit and maintain 60fps

but i do not have a way to add AUDIO fade in /fade out without the program decreasing to 30 FPS

windows movie maker has a great fade in out option but decrease to 30 fps

any ideas?

craig

That script I posted fades the audio along with the video (30 second fadeout and fadein, which you can change easily) without affecting the framerate.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi craiganderson,

I'm very ineterested by how you manage to capture launched game via Hyperspin, because I can't : when I launche a MAME game or Steam's game, the screen recorded is black or I just got hyperspin but freezed.

In OBS I put "Monitor Capture", and some people said I must use "Game capture". So I tried and it still not working.

Can you tel me how you doing ?

Thx

Archived