Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Raspberry Pie 3/Hyperspin/RocketLauncher

vetteman

Hi everyone. I am new to all this. Watch All the videos on installing Hyperspin that I can handle before my brain turns into mush.

My question is, Can I install Hyperspin and RocketLauncher on the Raspberry Pie 3?

I want to build a Bar top cabinet and having very little room inside the cabinet I think I would prefer to use the Raspberry Pie instead of a regular Pc.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Bungles said:

Can you install Windows in a Raspberry Pie 3. This will be your answer.

Ummmm yes you can actually Bungles. There is now an arm build of Windows 10 that works on the RPI3. Haven't tried it, nor will I when it takes a good 5 minutes to boot to the desktop! 

The truth is the RPI is just woefully under powered. I moved on to Nvidia's Shield TV which is much more capable for emulation. It can run Hyperspin, although we miss out on some PC features and don't get rocket launcher. 

Truth be told if you want to do the cabinet right you want to use a PC. The more modern arcade cabinets (like Taito Type X) are actually PC's. An RPI doesn't have a chance in hell of running Ultra Street Fighter IV! 

I have an PI and its nice to have the retro consoles  on my main TV,   but sticking  in an arcade cabinet is just lazy.

forget modern arcades,  its recommended that you run  MAME 2003 on a PI 2 and an older version on a Pi Zero

(I'm not sure what is recommended on the latest Pis)

you can't even play  Killer Instinct (mame version)  on MAME 2003, you have to play the SNES to MAME hack.

I ended up using Final Burn Alpha over MAME and used MAME 2009 for all the MAME games not found on FBA.

9 minutes ago, 32assassin said:

I have an PI and its nice to have the retro consoles  on my main TV,   but sticking  in an arcade cabinet is just lazy. 

Surely it's the reverse! Just running it through the TV is lazy. It's more effort making a cabinet, which is what the OP wants. If you're going to go to all that effort, you should want to be able to cover as many arcade/console systems as possible. For maximum versatility, PC is the way forward. 

Dell Optiplex PC's can be found cheap enough refurbished that have the i7 2600. The whole case doesn't need to go in the cabinet. The OP needs to be aware it can be stripped down and the parts just secured into the cabinet. 

when I say lazy

I mean sticking a PI in a cabinet is like sticking a VW bug engine on a high performance sports car.

are you honestly telling me that you would build a high end custom arcade just to put such a low powered device in it.

and I like paying console games on my cocktail cab with a PC and Hyperspin as much as I like playing arcade games with a console controller while I"m sitting on a couch.

each system has its pros and cons.  

34 minutes ago, 32assassin said:

when I say lazy

I mean sticking a PI in a cabinet is like sticking a VW bug engine on a high performance sports car.

are you honestly telling me that you would build a high end custom arcade just to put such a low powered device in it.

That's not lazy. It's being cheap! ;)

I've made it quite clear the RPI is under powered and I don't think it's worth using in a cabinet. You provided more information about using the RPI which has "confused" the issue. Why you said forget modern Arcades, just because the RPI can't emulate them also makes no sense to me.

In my opinion cabinet needs a PC. Shield TV for something to plug and play into the TV for couch gaming, although it could work well in a cab too I suppose. 

its being very lazy when you can download an pre built pi image load it to your sd card and stick your sd card  in your PI set your controls and you are done.

it might be an american expression

forget bout modern arcades,  as in don't bother trying to run modern arcade games because you can't even run some of the older arcade games.

With a pi you'll be missing lots of great games. Everyone will think to console and mame 3d games but even cps3 games (street fighter 3) will be costantly frameskipping on a pi3, I tested 2 version of pandora's box (similar hardware) and both versions had this issue.

Another reason to use a pc if you are on LCD screen is the freedom you got with shaders: some of them are too much demanding for a pi3 while a decent videocards can run them. Honestly today crt emulation is so good you can pass on a real CRT.

44 minutes ago, 32assassin said:

It might be an american expression

No it's English. 

Nobody mentioned using premade images, except you. Every RPI I've done, was done from scratch. I've been through almost every arcade frontend available, from using KODI to Retropie, Attract Mode etc. So no, using an RPI in a cab is not lazy. The word you're looking for is it's limiting! 

The OP has made it quite clear they're learning about Hyperspin and rocket launcher. So I don't think they're lazy, as they're already making an effort to learn the ropes.

I think we all agree PC is the best option. Mini-itx form factor is a possibility to keep the size down BUT these builds always work out more expensive. I'd be surprised if a stripped down Dell couldn't be made to fit in a bar top cab. 

A pc is surely more expensive but if you are at 720p a 120€ ryzen 2400g can run fullspeed about 98% of emulators' database and 60 fps on low settings  with SFV/MK/tekken7/soul calibur.

To be sure you can run EVERYTHING at 1080p you need a 8350 @4.8ghz and a 1060 6gb (in some cases you can even downsample window games from 4k). A bit on the pricey side...

5 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

No it's English. 

Nobody mentioned using premade images, except you. Every RPI I've done, was done from scratch. I've been through almost every arcade frontend available, from using KODI to Retropie, Attract Mode etc. So no, using an RPI in a cab is not lazy. The word you're looking for is it's limiting! 

The OP has made it quite clear they're learning about Hyperspin and rocket launcher. So I don't think they're lazy, as they're already making an effort to learn the ropes.

I think we all agree PC is the best option. Mini-itx form factor is a possibility to keep the size down BUT these builds always work out more expensive. I'd be surprised if a stripped down Dell couldn't be made to fit in a bar top cab. 

if you want to nit pick my posts,  I can do the same to yours

where exactly did the op say that he wanted to learn about hyperspin and rocketlauncher

I don't see a mention of Rocketlauncher in the initial post so why are you bringing  rocketlauncher into this post.

the OP never mentioned that he wanted to learn anything

he asked if you can install Hypersin on a PI (a question with a simple yes or no answer)

whether its a pre configured drive with Hyperspin he bought or he wants to install a fresh copy of Hyperspin

we don't know that because the OP did not mention that!!!

what exactly does the OP have to do with you and what you have done 

you are making the assumption that everyone lives by your standards and is going to build their own image.

connect the dots if you can,   

what's easy and in my opinion the lazy choice

downloading a pre made image  vs learning how to do everything yourself

just because you made your own image, this does not mean that everyone is

going to choose the option that requires an extra effort in their part..

Rocket launcher is mentioned in the initial post. As it's clearly asked if they both work on the RPI! The OP watched all the videos about Hyperspin their brain can handle. So yes I've connected the dots and seen they're learning about Hyperspin and RL! 

Yes Windows 10 can now technically work on the RPI. Do Hyperspin and Rocket launcher work with it? I dunno, haven't tried and won't bother because the RPI is under powered. 

I'm done conversing with you. All the best with your projects

On 2/15/2019 at 5:27 AM, vetteman said:

Hi everyone. I am new to all this. Watch All the videos on installing Hyperspin that I can handle before my brain turns into mush.

My question is, Can I install Hyperspin and RocketLauncher on the Raspberry Pie 3?

I want to build a Bar top cabinet and having very little room inside the cabinet I think I would prefer to use the Raspberry Pie instead of a regular Pc.

Thanks

You should go look into HyperPie if your dead set on using the RPi

Hyperspin and RocketLauncher won’t work on any RPi.

goodluck with your project but give the PC option another look before you decide 

HyperSpin and rocketLauncher won't work on a rpi.  But if you still want to go the rpi way (witch in my opinion is a 

perfect fit for a bartop arcade) you should look for attract mode.  Not as pretty and not that much theme as

for the HyperSpin but it could make it.

I personnally done the exacte same choice, build my a bartop 2 players cabinet with a Rpi 3 and got really good

results.  Could plays all the cartridge console and handheld console plus most of the mame game without trouble.

Some playstation works well too but forget the N64 game, soooo laggy and unplayable for most of it.

But now i decide to go for a full size cabinet so ill do it the PC way.  Much more work to set up everything and set

up all of the stuff but i think it worth it.

Good luck

Archived