Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Need help with Retroarch - ScummVM

Acet

Hi all, hope someone can help me. I'm trying to set up Retroarch with the core ScummVM with Hyperspin. I followed this guide ,

but am stuck on a few points.

1. Where do I create my game folders? I put them in Hyperspin/Emulators/ScummVM/roms. Is this OK?

2. Where do the media folders go? E.g. Day of the Tentacle, do I put the media folder in Hyperspin/Media/tentacle? Or do I have a media folder inside the folder where I put my rom?

3. None of the media I've saved in the standard Media path currently shows up on the wheel, I'm assuming that's because the XML file has the "game/folder" structure in place, so fixing 2 will fix this?

4. I couldn't edit the settings in Retroarch for ScummVM (rom path etc) is this needed, or will the games launch anyway? They seem to work fine when I manually select the *.scummvm file

5. Finally this guide is pretty old, so is there a newer/better way to do this? Perhaps using the ScummVM apk instead of Retroarch?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

OK I'm still struggling with this. I fixed my Media issue, I just had to put sub-folders in all the Media folders for each game and move their files into it. The Wheel now works fine, but when I try to launch a game I get "warning trying to launch missing rom". By the way, these games all run directly in Retroarch when selecting the *.scummvm file.

If I go through one game as an example, maybe that will show what I'm doing wrong?

Let's take Curse of Monkey Island.

I've got my Database file: ScummVM.xml as follows (using the folder/game structure as eplained in the guide):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<menu>
    <header>
        <listname>ScummVM</listname>
        <lastlistupdate>05/07/2018</lastlistupdate>
        <listversion>2.0</listversion>
        <exporterversion>HyperList XML Exporter Version 1.3 Copywrite (c) 2009-2011 William Strong</exporterversion>
    </header>

<game name="comi/comi" index="" image="">
        <description>Curse of Monkey Island, The (CD Windows)</description>
        <cloneof></cloneof>
        <crc></crc>
        <manufacturer>LucasArts</manufacturer>
        <year>1997</year>
        <genre>Adventure</genre>
        <rating>Other - NR (Not Rated)</rating>
        <enabled>Yes</enabled>
    </game>

My Settings file, ScummVM.ini set up as below:

[exe info]
path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\ScummVM\
rompath=Roms/ScummVM/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch.ra32/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
Parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true

[filters]
parents_only=false
themes_only=false
wheels_only=false
roms_only=false

My Game image is located inside this folder:

Hyperspin>Emulators>ScummVM>comi>

Inside the "comi" folder, I have the comi.scummvm file, this has one line "comi"

dark13, you comment, is this for Android? I can't see where I'd put this file. Do you have a guide or a quick link on what to do please?

7 hours ago, dark13 said:

There's a bug in official RA module with scummVM, backup your RA ahk and try this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho93nf4vl0nguwb/Retroarch.ahk?dl=0

ahk files are for Rocketlauncher which is the backbone of Hyperspin on PC. You've posted in the right part of the forum but sometimes forum members don't notice it's an Android related topic. The ScummVM android app didn't support launch intent for Frontend support, I doubt that's changed.

We use the "folder trick" for this system, each game has it's own folder with it's game files and a scummvm file inside. I can see that's been used from your scummVM.xml file (e.g comi/comi). The knock on effect is that all media (including theme zips) have to be in a named folder for each category (e.g wheel & video) for it to be found. There's free software called "Files 2 Folder" that can easily do this for you, taking multiple files, naming folders after them and then moving each file into it's own folder.

Your rom path looks wrong to me from what you stated in the first post and what's in your comi example. Remember we have "roms_only=false" in the ini file when using the folder trick, so the games show even if the rom path is incorrect.

[exe info]
path=
rompath=/storage/emulated/0/Hyperspin/Roms/ScummVM/
userompath=true
exe=com.retroarch.ra32/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so
searchsubfolders=false
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=true

That's my .ini file. In the ScummVM folder there is a comi folder with the game files and the scummvm file (comi is written on first line)

11 hours ago, Acet said:

1. Where do I create my game folders? I put them in Hyperspin/Emulators/ScummVM/roms. Is this OK?

As @Honosuseri said your rompath looks incorrect, hence the error of hyperspin saying it cannot find them

2 hours ago, Acet said:

rompath=Roms/ScummVM

So this line in the ScummVM.ini should be 

rompath=Emulators/ScummVM/roms

Honosuseri, once again thank you!

I was literally thinking (whilst munching on my sandwich at lunch, strange how this little project is taking over my free time!) about what I did on the Daphne emulator (using your video guide), where I had to put the actual path for the drive, rather than "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\". Once I've got access to my device, I'll make the tweak. 

Just now, Acet said:

Honosuseri, once again thank you!

I was literally thinking (whilst munching on my sandwich at lunch, strange how this little project is taking over my free time!) about what I did on the Daphne emulator (using your video guide), where I had to put the actual path for the drive, rather than "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\". Once I've got access to my device, I'll make the tweak. 

We ignore the path line on Android just double check your rom path. Easy mistake to make, I don't feel I need to state the obvious as you sussed out getting this to work over your NAS. I have tested ScummVM with RA_32 and my modded Hyperspin.apk. The games do play fine, all the best with it.

Thanks, all working now. Also had issues with day of the Tentacle sound crackling, so just used the Mac sound file and all good now. 

I've spent so long fixing my Hyperspin I've not played any games. Time for a break from set ups. Will be back shortly to work on my next emulator. Any suggestions for tricky ones to look at, I like the challenge...

On 6/27/2020 at 12:44 PM, Acet said:

Thanks, all working now. Also had issues with day of the Tentacle sound crackling, so just used the Mac sound file and all good now. 

I've spent so long fixing my Hyperspin I've not played any games. Time for a break from set ups. Will be back shortly to work on my next emulator. Any suggestions for tricky ones to look at, I like the challenge...

Ms dos will take the most time....mess (old computer systems) are also fully compatible as long as the drivers are working for mame up to 0.197...this includes systems that dont have a hash XML like sony pocketstation or sega svm...command line will be your friend so u wont need to rename any roms

On 6/27/2020 at 5:44 PM, Acet said:

I did PM you warning you about the sound in some Lucasarts games, glad to hear you're done with ScummVM.

My advice would be not to fall in the trap of trying to have so many wheels. You'll see guys bragging they have 300+ wheels BUT I guarantee most of them are a mess and not complete or just "garbage games" that nobody would actually want to play. Personally I focus on systems/games I enjoy or my family and friends adore, I do them and I do them well. I do love ScummVM so if you see my YT video showcase, all the games have their own theme and I used boxart for the wheel to make it look a little different. For me quality is better than quantity but each to their own.

MS-DOS I wouldn't say is tricky, just a P.I.A and time consuming much like the Amiga was before the PUAE core made life easier on us all. I'd rather be playing games than setting up wheels for Hyperspin, as silly as that sounds from a guy who took on sorting out the Amiga and it's media with 3000+ games!

All the best with it, enjoy your break

• 11 months later...

Archived