Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperpin no longer works with the last Nvidia Shield Update

fred33

@pmindemann  Yep, arcade is important for me too but mamereloaded is getting a bit old for me so I've been using Retroarch cores.   

I've been out of the loop for a few years and am not familiar with the current state of Google's constantly changing OS.    It looks like Arc Browser has been keeping up with the launching parameters (and it was able to launch Mamereloaded for me).   

I don't know why it's not working in Hyperspin.  I could use some help determining the correct intents and parameters.   I'm not sure what else is wrong.

Différents problems :

1) Wheel :

- i don't remember but i think with android 9, system name and games name in the wheel was not only with vertical appareance ? (not very important but)

2) Nintendo 64 (M64Plus FZ use SAF URL i think but no config file found  (see second link under because fzurita speak about this)

i use M64Plus FZ (difference was fzurita replace alpha i think but don't work ?) so parameters was wrong, if someone know what parameters is for M64Plus FZ, please let us known

i have error message "invalid emulator"

rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin/Games/Nintendo 64/
userompath=true
exe=org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita/paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.SplashActivity
romextension=n64,z64,zip
parameters=

image.thumb.png.0b9feda9ed85e7175beaba1e54c4c120.png

3) Gamecube, WII, Playstation (dolphinemu and epsxe use SAF URL)

(dolphinemu et epsxe standalone work but called by hyperspin made error with roms ?)

Roms don't launch with hyperspin call to standalone emulator but launch good with the standalone emulator used without hyperspin

- Nintendo Gamecube and Wii with standalone dolphinemu 5.0-15445

Error message "iso is an invalid GCM/ISO file or is not a GC/WII ISO"

rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin/Games/Nintendo GameCube/
userompath=true
exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.ui.main.MainActivity
romextension=iso,gcz,gcm,gb,gbc,zip,wbfs,ciso
parameters=AutoStartFile

rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin/Games/Nintendo Wii/
userompath=true
exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.ui.main.MainActivity
romextension=gcz,iso,gcm,gb,gbc,zip,wbfs,ciso
parameters=AutoStartFile

image.thumb.png.ea0135282eb85404e245f026b1894b26.png

image.thumb.png.fb1926b23c453967610f2c2a1c6f3d8a.png

- Playstation with standalone epsxe v 2.0.16 beta 6 (version was give me by developer because i wrote them after android 11 update for tell them than epsxe stop working and they realise this version for android 11)

Error message "Error loading missing DATA ROM 1) IMG/ISO/BIN  2) 7Z/ape not supported"

rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin/Games/Sony Playstation/
userompath=true
exe=com.epsxe.ePSXe/com.epsxe.ePSXe.ePSXe|com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=iso,bin,cue,ccd,sub,img,mdf,mds,nrg,rar,zip,7z
parameters=com.epsxe.ePSXe.isoName|cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro_android.so

image.thumb.png.50eb250be350e585dff25eb81f3bc78a.png

Because epsxe and dolphinemu use SAF URIs (see my precedent post so finally it's not an uuid but it's a SAF URL)

As they said here :

https://arcbrowser.com/releasenotes

https://digdroid.com/forums/discussion/9140/android-11-scoped-storage-saf-support (fzurita speak about SAF URL in this link)

I found this to dolphin emu config file :

[General]
ISOPaths = 2
RecursiveISOPaths = True
ISOPath0 = content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FNintendo%20Wii
ISOPath1 = content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FNintendo%20GameCube

I found this in epsxe config file :

content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation/document/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation
content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation/document/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation%2FJeux%20hors%20database

4) PSP (ppsspp use SAF URL)

I use ppsspp gold 1.12.3

Error message "invalid emulator" with my old parameters (working before with android 9)

rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin/Games/Sony PSP/
userompath=true
exe=org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/org.ppsspp.ppsspp.PpssppActivity
romextension=iso,ISO,cso,CSO
parameters=

With this parameters hyperspin open standalone emulator ppsspp gold...

userompath=true
parameters=org.ppsspp.ppssppgold.Shortcuts

I found this in ppsspp config file :

[General]
FirstRun = False
RunCount = 34
Enable Logging = True
AutoRun = True
Browse = False
IgnoreBadMemAccess = True
CurrentDirectory = content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20PSP/document/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20PSP
ShowDebuggerOnLoad = False
CheckForNewVersion = True

So their are apparently 2 emulator type, 1) emulator with SAF URL 2) the others emulator with another method surely used with hyperspin ?

• Like 2

Hi, 

I may have a clue with the Mame4Droid emulator that refuses to launch from hyperspin.
I installed the stanley application to see the activities.
There is a change: com.seleuco.mame4droid/com.seleuco.mame4droid.MAME4droid seems to be gone.
Instead we find things like :
Action :
android.name=android intent.action.MAIN
or :
CATEGORY :
android.name=android.intent.category.LAUNCHER
and other things....

• Like 1

Hi

Yes, with this url i understand than arc browser resolve this problem by using temporarily "SAF proxy" before than made an update who work without SAF proxy and users with android 11 must download an SAF arc browser version, and users with inferior to android 11 must download an No SAF arc browser version

https://arcbrowser.com/saf

Thanks for your work @reznnate, i hope you can made it easily, we are here for more tests or help.

It might have something to do with SAF... or might not. I say that because I don't use the SAF template with MAME4droid in Arc Browser, and it still seems to function just fine. Here are the actions that Arc Browser shows for MAME:

IMG_2512.thumb.jpg.5d12e69e78277af241fd799bbafd797e.jpg

All that said, I don't understand any of it nearly well enough to say that we shouldn't pursue the SAF and permissions thing... that's the most significant change since Hyperspin stopped working, so it makes sense to investigate that.

Hi,
I was able to do some testing with my hyperspin set.
The good news is that the version of retroarch I'm using (1.77) works fine without any modification.
All cores launch correctly from hyperspin.
The irata emulator in standelone (atari jaguar) and hatari (atari st) also works.
However, the other emulators (snes9x, all .emu, yaba san shiro, redream, ppsspp ...) do not launch from hyperspin.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fred33 said:

However, the other emulators (snes9x, all .emu, yaba san shiro, redream, ppsspp ...) do not launch from hyperspin.

In other words, all of the emulators I actually use... lol.   

(All of which work in Arc, notably... probably worth trying to figure out what they're doing to get things working, and/or see what the differences are between the emulators that work and those that don't. But I'm sure reznnate has thought of all that!)

Yaba Sanshiro works for me. I use the bandits no clutter collection on my Nvidia shield.

For me everything works so far (retroarch, dolphin, Yaba Sanshiro) besides of Mupen64 (hyperspin gives me the error mentioned a few posts earlier) and when I try to open a PSP game, all it does is open PPSSPP.

Great job so far @reznnate, looking forward to show my daughter, which will be born in October, my childhood (when she is capable of holding a controller of course :D)

• Like 1

Nice! I'm glad some of it is working. I won't be picking it up again until some version of MAME works (the best use for Hyperspin, in my mind, since arcade titles never have box art that makes things like Launchbox look so good). But I'm glad it's at least semi-functional!

@Spacman

for me dolphin don't work, can you said what dolphin version you use please and parameters

@fred33 said than yaba sanshiro don't work, you said than yaba sanshiro work ? same here, what version and parameters ?

for PPSSPP as i said in precedent post :

With this parameters Error message "invalid emulator"

userompath=true
parameters=

With this parameters hyperspin open standalone emulator ppsspp gold...

userompath=true
parameters=org.ppsspp.ppssppgold.Shortcuts

If we must do a summary

- Hyperspin now can be launched with android 11 and work with usb and nas external storage

- Retroarch work allways with hyperspin

- Standalone emulators ( many of them use SAF file and hyperspin need some adjustement, perhaps less of standalone emulators work again but we needed to test all standalone emulators)

8 hours ago, pmindemann said:

Nice! I'm glad some of it is working. I won't be picking it up again until some version of MAME works (the best use for Hyperspin, in my mind, since arcade titles never have box art that makes things like Launchbox look so good). But I'm glad it's at least semi-functional!

U can use the same launchbox files with hyperspin.....I did that before I decided on a different type of theme that is more universal with no box art 

2 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

U can use the same launchbox files with hyperspin.....I did that before I decided on a different type of theme that is more universal with no box art 

Sorry, I might have been unclear with what I was saying... I don't want to carry over artwork. My point was that arcade games don't have consistent art, in general, since they don't all have a box or a cabinet picture, or whatever--they never will, and that's ok. But because it's not all neat and organizable like having NES boxes or something, it's perfect for Hyperspin. You get wrapped up in sound, video, and stuff like that and don't have to worry about everything being the same size or whatever.

Anyway, the fact that Retroarch basically works is also of little help, because some of us are morally opposed to Retroarch (there are reasons you won't find certain emulators like Redream on there), and even if we aren't some of the cores just aren't great... for the life of me, I can't find a Retroarch core that does as well with Playstation as ePXSe, for example. My old favorite "Air Combat" (precursor to Ace Combat) barely runs on FPse and some of those. So, I HAVE to use standalone emulators. And for other systems, Retroarch just doesn't offer a built-in option, so once again, I have to use standalone. And as of right now, SAF or whatever is preventing many of them from working.

TL;DR - SAF needs to be addressed for Hyperspin to be viable on Shield again. 

That's understandable.....for myself, RetroArch is my #1 go to emulator for android...with a mixture of old and new cores I think its the best solution....sometimes newer cores breaks old features so I tend to keep copies of new and old cores for those reasons....as far as mame goes,  RetroArch is the best on Android....as far as mess or old computers are concerned , mame 0.227 was the last and final version on Android that was pushed out....anything beyond that failed to compile with both mess and mame merged...as far as ps1 goes,  have u tried with chds, bin and cue or other compressed formats....I use bin and cue and chds for multi disks to avoid swapping

I'm not seeing where to download the newest beta version. There was a post a few days ago with it attached but the file isn't there any longer. I checked the downloads on the site and the last update was in like 2018 I think. I uninstalled hyperspin from my shield and reinstalled it. Accepted the permissions to access files. And it's still just crashing as soon as I open it.

I've got crash with some games themes, like super mario 1 2 and 3 on NES, it crashes hyperspin as soon i go on, i think it's related with swf in theme. curiously some times with fresh install of hyperspin i can read theme but as hyperspin go on last game i played, if i go in nes after stoping HS it crash

5 minutes ago, Creezz67 said:

Check the zip files in themes folder for the games that crash and they probably have swf files in them.

It's best to NOT use swf files anywhere on NVS in my experience.

Yep but a lot of my themes have swf, why these themes particulary crash, and it's for reznnate as he ask what was working before and not now with beta.

What is surprising is that somehow i can read these themes with fresh instal