The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

New CPU - Really cheap and possibly awesome for Hyperspin & Emulation

urbangangsta101

Just ordered one of these bad boys to try out with my Hyperspin PC:

Pentium Anniversary Edition "K" CPU

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-531-IN

Basically, it's a fully unlocked Dual Core CPU that has been widely reported to overclock with ease to 4.6GHz, making it ideal for emulation since most emu's only use 2 cores. The best part is, it only costs around £50.

Could be a quality chip for those looking to build a cheap but powerfull Hyperspin box. I will do some testing when it arrives and report my findings on here....

Can't wait to try this out with Dolphin and PCSX2

Hey UrbanGangsta

Any updates yet on this processor?

Even cheaper now....just for this week! £43-99!!

It finally arrived about 10mins ago! Has to be the longest delivery in history...

Will be testing it fully tonight after i get home from work! Picked up an MSI B85I GAMING motherboard to go with it - i'm aware that Intel have nuked most of the B85 series overclocking options via a BIOS update, but MSI have confirmed that the unlocked K-Series CPU's can still be overclocked via the multiplier, so should be ok. They have overclocking badges all over the box anyway....

and £43.99 is a freaking deal and a half!

EDIT: motherboard is a pile of shite. Can't overclock with it (teach me to buy the cheapest option) Sending back in exchange for a z97 board, results will be up next week.

Still waiting for my motherboard, should be here tomorrow

Just seen this video on YouTube, someone else trying this CPU with Dolphin, very impressive

One thing he does not mention in that vid is if he's using lle audio or the newest builds which hle audio for SMG2 is fixed.

Regardless it looks like there is no lag, but if he is INDEED using lle audio and it's still that smooth, then...holy crap.

To overclock you really need a z87-z97 mobo (m.2 ssd's on z97 are really cool especially on tight build: impressive bus and space-saving). Going up with multiplier is NOT useful if you can't set higher Vcore :P

It would be interesting too see not only dolphin pcsx2 tests but even mame as it's one of the very few emulators that can use multithreading in some manners (it DOES work but it's not a huge boost like in real multithreaded applications) :)

I have finally got everything set up and managed to spend a few hours testing last night. So far i'm impressed, it handles Dolphin and PCSX2 the same as my i7 4770K - running full speed even with 3x internal resolution and extra filtering.

My specs are:

Intel G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) - Currently running at 4.5GHz @1.4v vCore

Corsair H60 2013 Edition (Closed Loop Water Cooler)

MSI Z97I Gaming AC Motherboard (ITX)

4GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3, 1600MHz @ 1.5v (XMP) - This is being upgraded next!

2GB EVGA GeForce 650Ti Superclocked

CX430M Corsair 430w Modular PSU

60GB Corsair Nova 3 SSD

2x 2TB Seagate Hard Drives

Bitfenix Prodigy Case

Running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for 10mins - CPU Temp stays under 80c

Emulation tests so far...

Running Dolphin (Latest build from EmuCR) - Zelda The Wind Waker (USA) 3x Internal Resolution, 4x AA, 16x AF, DSP LLE (Middle option) = Didn't move from 100% 30fps for the whole time i played it (The entire first island part)

Running PCSX2 (Latest build from EmuCR) - Shadow of the Colossus (USA) 2x Internal Resolution, Cycle Stealing x1, Reccommended hacks = Running full speed, exactly the same as it does on my i7, very impressed

Will post some videos later when i have time...

Will test specific games if requested

Hello,

Impressive CPU.

I would be interested in some tests, if you can do it :

- Some 3D Mame titles (like mortal kombat 4)

- With the Demul emulator : Dead or alive for exemple, or mslug 6 with the savestate here : http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/62987558/file.html (just ignore the glitch, just go 3 secondes on the right, just look if the fps is dropping when the big machine come out)

- Bsnes (accuracy profile) with the yoshi island introduction

If they do this all right, i really might buy one, i would be really impressed.

Another thing that might be great to know :

http://www.techpowerup.com/202196/asus-enables-overclocking-on-h97-h87-b85-and-h81-series-motherboards.html

Asus enabled overclocking on some "cheap" motherboards. I don't know if it's good or not, but for people with small budget (like me), it could be very great.

I dunno how far i can overclock the chip with that.

@DECK12: None at all, smooth as butter.

@Luskau: I will test Metal Slug 6 (Atomiswave, Demul) and MK4 (Mame) tonight and let you know. I don't use Bsnes.

I would do some research before buying one of those "cheaper" motherboards. The B85 motherboard i bought initially didn't support overclocking for this CPU even though it was advertised as having "overclocking abilities" - It did have overclocking options in the UEFI but it wouldn't let me increase the multiplier, only turn it down (underclocking it)

Get a Z97 and be done with it :) The Z97I Gaming AC i bought was only £100, but it's ITX.

Will be uploading a video of Shadow of the Colossus running on PCSX2 later - i have adjusted my config as this CPU doesn't require the speedhacks i was previously using, resulting in a near perfect framerate, also added FXAA and 16x AF for better visuals :)

@DECK12: None at all, smooth as butter.

@Luskau: I will test Metal Slug 6 (Atomiswave, Demul) and MK4 (Mame) tonight and let you know. I don't use Bsnes.

I would do some research before buying one of those "cheaper" motherboards. The B85 motherboard i bought initially didn't support overclocking for this CPU even though it was advertised as having "overclocking abilities" - It did have overclocking options in the UEFI but it wouldn't let me increase the multiplier, only turn it down (underclocking it)

Get a Z97 and be done with it :) The Z97I Gaming AC i bought was only £100, but it's ITX.

Will be uploading a video of Shadow of the Colossus running on PCSX2 later - i have adjusted my config as this CPU doesn't require the speedhacks i was previously using, resulting in a near perfect framerate, also added FXAA and 16x AF for better visuals :)

I'm another one curious about MAME.

Try throwing GTI club at it or Thrill Drive or Solar Assault as well if you could.

@Luskau - Mortal Kombat 4 (MAME) = Full Speed, although the graphics are buggy (white shadows etc..), Metal Slug 6 (Demul) = stays between 29-31 fps for the whole time that the walking thing is on screen.

@Trnzaddict - GTI Club = Full Speed, Thrill Drive = Not quite full speed and laggy music, Solar Assault = Apart from the EPROM bug it's running perfectly at full speed, quite a fun game

@dougan78 - Gauntlet Legends = Full Speed Videos, Full Speed gameplay

Camera is out of action atm, but will upload some more videos soon.

Just installed PCSX2 on my other PC - 4.4GHz i7 4770K, GTX770, 16GB DDR3 and tested Shadow of the Colossus - performs EXACTLY the same as the G3258 at 4.5GHz. I've set just the EE hack to the first notch and left all the recommended hacks on (VU stealing makes the frame rate worse, so it's staying off) - runs buttery smooth 99% of the time, just some random slow down in the intro (same on both machines) just when the guy on the horse is about to reach the bridge - drops to about 50% for 3-4 seconds, no biggie

A comparison with a 4770k is really helpful :)

It's a shame emulators usually does not have built in benchmark.

What about dolphin with hle running on a separate thread (it should use 3 cores) comparison?

A comparison with mame is also good as mame does multithread (not that good but DOES multithread). Thrillkill and gauntlet legends are probably good benchmarks.

And a bit of higan (ex bnes) with demanding games (yoshi's island ending maybe) and accuracy.exe :D

Also just pulled the trigger on a G3258 build, looking forward to how it performs.

• MSI Z97 PC Mate Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258 Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
  • Antec VP450P 450W '80 Plus' Continuous Power Supply
  • Raijintek Aidos Direct Contact CPU Cooler - Black

Archived