The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Using Anti-Virus

dmanc30

Hello;

I'm still new at this but I like using Hyperspin, but up till now I relied on Windows Defender prior to installing Hyperspin. My question is I worry about all the stuff I've downloaded from this site and from Filezilla want to install the latest version of Norton Anti-Virus. If I install Norton how would it affect Hyperspin? I keep reading that some antivirus view Hyperspin as a virus. Can somebody enlighten me on the topic. Thanks!

I agree...

I use my laptop for Web browsing , desktop 1 for downloads and , desktop 2 for hyperspin.....my HS cab will never see the Internet.

If I need anything else added it goes through another computer before it hits my cab. Hyperspin is too much work to risk a virus wiping me out.

Windows Defender will do fine. Norton and all the big name bloat ware just sucks the life out of you. If you are worried about things beyond normal virus protection just do an online scan of your system with whatever provider takes your fancy. Panda AV had an online scan and so did Trend Micro.

Thanks everybody! I'm not worried about losing all my hard work. I will start using my second computer for downloading. Unfortunately I surf, work, and play HS on my main computer. Every time I update something on HS I back up the whole folder on my external hard drive.

Most antiviruses does have active protection, basically they check every files you'll gonna read/write so yes, it will slow down a bit your system. Windows defender is a joke, just like window xp's firewall :P

And yes... Avira, for example (a good free antivirus) does recognize hyperHQ as a virus, so in case you have to add it to your antivirus exceptions.

If your cabinet is offline and you check everything you load into your cab you can avoid antivirus but if the cab is online (even in your home network) an antivirus and a firewall (W7 firewall is ok) is higly suggested :)

Your best bet against antivirus is just to have a final image of hyperspin with everything working. if you get a virus, just restore the image. i assume you arent using your hyperspin computer for much other then playing retro games and browsing the internet/watching videos/listening to music. as long as you keep a good image anytime you add games/emulators you can always just restore to that.

I use BitDefender and it's a pain. It thinks Hyprspin and every single Taito Type X file is a virus. I have added exclusions to almost every folder in hyperspin because just adding the main hyperspin folder doesn't do it. Hyperspin is installed on my main PC whish also serves as an entertainment centre so not much I can do about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Symantec endpoint protection (bigger and less sucky "enterprise" brother of Norton) and as of the latest virus defs it does indeed pop hysperspin.exe as a virus/suspicious and then outright deletes it. Had to go into things and make an except for the entire hyperspin folder.

I like M$ Security Essentials for my cab. Like others state, keeping your cab off the Internet is one option, or you could still leave it on the network for updates and only transfer files to it if they've been scanned first like I do and never surf the web on your HyperSpin PC. Always have a backup, too many hundred hours are invested in my cab to not have a safety net

Archived