Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Which NES emulator is best in terms of input lag?

albert_c

Stand alone Nestopia is laggy as hell in fullscreen with vsync on. The RetroArch core version fixes that with Hard Sync enabled.

Knew it! Gracias sir.

LOL! I haven't noticed any lag with Nestopia..

It's most likely you getting old. As a kid I finished Captain Skywak and now I can't even get through the first level.

Hah! May you be this sharp, when you my age :P.

I tried FCEUX initially but in full screen, the main color displayed in the game screen filled in where there should have just been black bars on my widescreen monitor. Perhaps it was my settings, but I switched over to NEStopia where it didn't have that problem only to experience input lag. Giving RetroArch a shot now.

FCEUX seems to drop frames on my system specs. With NEStopia, I turned off vsync and seems to have resolved the input lag but I haven't played too many games to notice if it destroys something else. I couldn't even get RetroArch to respond on my system, so I will lay that down for now.

For the moment, I am going with NEStopia until I find any other issues.

I was using BSNES for NES, but the version that I had that was compatible with hyperspin launch to fullscreen (0.87 and 0.88) had a bug where the 2nd controller would not work - even when you configured it in the settings. Apparently it was a known bug. I switched over to Nestopia the other night and haven't noticed any input lag. I play on my 65'' Panasonic Plasma in fullscreen w/ vsync on too. Played some Super Mario Bros. and it ran smooth w/ tight controls.

I've been using puNES but I've mostly been playing Crystalis and Zelda. I play MTPO every now and then but I'm satisfied getting up to Bald Bull, getting slapped down and maybe playing some RC Pro AM before I have to get back to being an adult.

Has anyone noticed input lag in puNES? It's the only one that gets the original glitches right (Crystalis graphics are glitchy as hell, if not, then your emu isn't accurate).

I was using BSNES for NES, but the version that I had that was compatible with hyperspin launch to fullscreen (0.87 and 0.88) had a bug where the 2nd controller would not work - even when you configured it in the settings. Apparently it was a known bug. I switched over to Nestopia the other night and haven't noticed any input lag. I play on my 65'' Panasonic Plasma in fullscreen w/ vsync on too. Played some Super Mario Bros. and it ran smooth w/ tight controls.

Hmm, interesting. That's what I'm using for a monitor as well. 65 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma.

I wonder if the other guys are using LCD ? Iirc I heard they are prone to lag in general with emulators.

Guys, lag I doubt has anything to do with getting your ass beat by Tyson. The real culprit is as people have said: our reflexes are not how they were when we were kids! I used to be able to get through punch out like it was nothing when I was 8, now I cannot get past the Sandman, even using an NES emulator on my PSP, I can't dodge the Sandmans uppercut super combo he does.

But on the other hand, now I'm able to beat Contra on 2 lives without the 30 lives code on Nestopia.

Whatever. Getting old sucks ding.

Which games specifically? I tried Super Mario Bros and there was tearing. Not big-time, IMO but it was there. I enabled the following settings under Full Screen:

Resolution: 640x480 (Keeping it 4x3 and close to native resolution)

Drawing Method: Default

Triple Buffer wtih Vertical Sync

Most of the tearing went away. Almost to the point of it not being an issue. What other games do you see this as a problem? If it makes any difference, here are my system specs:

Nvidia GTS 450

Core 2 Duo 6600 @2.40ghz

4GB DDR2

Archived