Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Upgrading NeoGeo MVS25-6 Cabinet

RidicRick

I pick up this NeoGeo cabinet I bought last week on Monday. I am not sure what board it has in it but it currently is running King of fighters 2000. I plan on getting the 160-in-1 multicart for it once I know for sure what board it has. Does anyone know what board (single slot, dual slot, etc..) I need for the multicart to work?

Neo.jpg

I did some photoshop work to figure out what I want the new graphics to look like. Here is what I am thinking, I may change it.. not sure yet. Plus after I make the template for this cabinet I will be able to offer others exact fit graphics for this cabinet too.

NEOGEOCab.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand keeping things original is usually the best way to go. But in this situation its not a rare cabinet and my graphics come off really easy and I could put new original graphics back on if I had to. As far as the cabinet I wont be hacking or changing anything. So really it will be original except graphics and 160-in-1 cart. :)

Yeah I am printing the graphics later this week so it should be done soon. Picked up my cab a few days ago and opened it up. Its a 6 slot and it sounds like the 160-in-1 cart will work great with it. Also just ordered Gonbes-8220 boards for my racing cabinets (Rush Alcatraz, and Daytona USA) so I can convert them to 28" LCD's for much better graphics. The arcade monitors they currently have are pretty worn out and colors all messed.

• 4 weeks later...

Ill post pics and video in the next day or two of the progress. I got an LCD working on the cab using the GONBES CGA TO VGA HD ARCADE CONVERTER [GBS-8220] from http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com. The quality is actually pretty good, exceptionally better than an arcade monitor. When the NeoGeo cab is done its going in my tattoo shop next to my hyperspin cabinet. :)

bigcab.jpg

Got the CP graphic installed.. it fit perfectly!!.. this is a crappy cell phone pic but will soon have better pics posted. Now I just have to install lights behind the buttons, get new joysticks, and find some lighted player 1 and 2 buttons. And I had a 34" arcade VGA monitor laying around so I modded the inside of the cabinet and got that big sucker to fit nearly perfect. Hooked it up to the cga to vga convertor and it works perfect, only problem is after 30 minutes the monitor starts to loose the vibrant colors and gets kind of blurry, not sure if it needs a cap kit or what.

cpneo.jpg

Finished the graphics install, got the 34" vga arcade monitor installed and working (needs cap kit though) and brought it to my shop to set it next to its buddy the Hyperspin cabinet. As soon as I hooked up the MVS cabinet the sound doesnt work. After researching at looking at my motherboard I realized the board needs all new caps, battery, and Z80 chip (upgrading to Z80A which is better). Only a total cost of $20 but I 'm sure replacing the caps to fix the sound will not be fun. Anyways, here are the pictures. I had the same game (King of fighters 2000) playing on both the MVS and Hyperspin cabinet just to see the difference. In the pictures you cannot tell since the MVS monitor needs work but nothing still beats the original arcade look with it.

AAcabs1.jpg

AAcabs2.jpg

AAcabs3.jpg

AAcabs4.jpg

AAcabs5.jpg

Getting the sound fixed today. Installing a new 30 capacitor sound cap kit and a new Z80A CPU chip to replace the origional Z80. A friend of mine owns a console repair shop (one of the biggest and best in the world actually) and he is doing this in exchange for some vinyl graphics. :) This is a one time deal and doesnt want to fix everyone else's boards, he only fixes console gaming systems. But let me know if you have something you want fixed.. like the Red Ring of Death Xbox 360.. lol

CapKit.jpg

His setup. Re-balling stations I think they call them.

CVX1.jpg

CVX2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great day today for my NeoGeo cab. LED controls came in from paradisearcadeshop and my mvs motherboard came in from having the sound fixed (new cap kit). Now I just need to go pick up a 27" LCD to throw in the cab to replace the 32" arcade monitor. I would keep the arcade monitor but that also needs a cap kit and I just dont want to deal with it right now.

ledcontrols.jpg

Does anyone know which would be the better route to light up these buttons for the NeoCab. Since there is no PC connected to it I am not sure to get a PacDrive or LEDWIZ?

They are not RGB LED's. Just one color and of course I want them to dance and everything. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to walmart and bought a 32" Vizio for $268 plus tax. Decased it in 10 minutes and installed it into my NeoGeo MVS cab. It fit perfect!! Huge improvement over the worn out 34" arcade monitor I had in there. Printing a black bezel around it tomorrow to hide the framing. Here are some pics.

Almost 32" wide without decasing, after decasing it was almost 30".

32inchMVS1.jpg

I didnt have to use a VESA mount option since there is 4 screw holes in the frame on each corner of the decased LCD. Those 4 wood screws combined with the glass pushing on it and closed locked down control panel that LCD isnt going anywhere.

32inchMVS2.jpg

Archived