Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Mario vs Donkey Kong MAME Cabinet (Nintendo Reproduction Cabinet)

RetroBorg

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a reproduction Nintendo cabinet made up and are going to go for Mario vs Donkey Kong theme.

I'm just after some artwork advice as I'm having trouble deciding on a marquee and looking for suggestions and or opinions, especially any from the skilled artists on this forum.

Here's a rough render at what I'm doing:

dk3p.jpg

Here are some marquee options:

White background.

mariovsdonkeykongmarque.jpg

Red background.

mariovsdonkeykongmarque.jpg

Red and orange stripe background.

mariovsdonkeymarqueestr.jpg

Red, white and orange stripe background.

mariovsdonkeymarqueestr.jpg

Orange fading into red background.

mariovsdonkeymarqueegra.jpg

Red into orange and back to red again.

mariovsdonkeymarqueegra.jpg

What marquee do you like?

I also added a fireball in the last two marquees, should I keep the fireball or lose the fireball?

Any alternative suggestions?

Cheers.

I like the idea but man that color is blinding me. Have you played around with the color scheme that you've got going on in the marquee's and try to incorporate those in the cab somehow? Like maybe a white cab with an orangesh marquee or something, orange buttons or trackball maybe.

I like the idea but man that color is blinding me. Have you played around with the color scheme that you've got going on in the marquee's and try to incorporate those in the cab somehow? Like maybe a white cab with an orangesh marquee or something, orange buttons or trackball maybe.

I'm probably going a red cabinet but I haven't ruled out black, definitely not white though.

None of my artwork is locked in yet, may change it all before I'm done.

I'm going to go for these Classsic RGB buttons buttons from Ultimarc.

classicrgb_connector.jpg

I will be able to light these up any colour.

• 5 months later...

Well I ordered my reproduction Nintendo cabinet from ArcadeWorx, I would certainly recommend ArcadeWorx to any Aussies looking to purchase a cabinet.

It came Ikea style.

scaled.php?server=593&filename=91049713.jpg&res=landing

The sides first.

scaled.php?server=31&filename=69055738.jpg&res=landing

Half way there.

scaled.php?server=836&filename=95010218.jpg&res=landing

There it is altogether, it took me approx two hours to put together, I reckon now I've done it once it would take me half that time to do again.

scaled.php?server=267&filename=78815740.jpg&res=landing

This is where it's going to sit when finished.

scaled.php?server=513&filename=dscf0396n.jpg&res=landing

I wanted to do a good job with the painting so I decided it would be easier to paint if it was pulled apart, wish I had decided this before I put it together the first time, lol.

So here's the first coat of primer going on some pieces.

scaled.php?server=201&filename=primerj.jpg&res=landing

That cabinet looks fantastic! Makes me wonder why I'm sinking months into building my own.

For the marquee I like the sixth/ last one or maybe the fourth one with the fireball included.

Thanks mate, I've decided to go with the sixth one too!

I took a look at the ArcadeWorx site but did not see the Nintendo repo cab listed anywhere, did I miss it or did they stop making it? Do you have a link to the page?

Does anyone know any companies in the US that are making these? It looks really amazing.

I took a look at the ArcadeWorx site but did not see the Nintendo repo cab listed anywhere, did I miss it or did they stop making it? Do you have a link to the page?

Troy from ArcadeWorx probably hasn't updated his website yet, he did this cabinet for guys on the Aussie Arcade forum and mine is one of the first batch.

Does anyone know any companies in the US that are making these? It looks really amazing.

MikesArcade

do u know if the plans for this cab based off the ones on the jakobud.com website? I would like to make something very similar.

what type/size of type of screen are u going to use?

does the front coin door panel swing open for access?

I'm excited to see how your cab goes! please post heaps of photos.

do u know if the plans for this cab based off the ones on the jakobud.com website? I would like to make something very similar.

The Jakobud plans apparently aren't 100% accurate, this one was designed from more accurate plans and then everything was double checked against actual cabinets. It took Troy from ArcadeWorx a long time to come up with plans this accurate.

what type/size of type of screen are u going to use?

I intend to go LCD, I haven't decided on size, my preference would be the largest 4:3 aspect ration screen I can find but may end up with a wide screen LCD.

does the front coin door panel swing open for access?

The front panel doesn't swing open but a Nintendo coin door does but I haven't got one as yet, they are quite rare, in fact they are just about non-existent in Australia, I am hoping a member on the Aussie Arcade forum reproduces them, if not I guess I'm hoping to get a second hand one from the USA.

DK%20Coin%20Door%20006.jpg

I'm excited to see how your cab goes! please post heaps of photos.

I will continue to post pictures here as I progress, I'm hoping if I get the time to have the painting finished and back together this weekend.

Looking good, RetroBorg!

Dell still make a 20" LCD with 1600 x 1200 resolution (UltraSharp 2007FP), which I plan on using if I ever get around to building a cabinet.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=59230

Thanks for the tip Agrajag, just bought one of them of eBay. Cheers.

Time to paint the red, I decided to paint it with spray cans as my roller work sucks!

I guess rolling is okay for the primer and the black inside the cabinet but I wanted a much better finish for the red.

I ended up going with Dulux Wildfire Red Quick Dry Spraypak, it has a real glossy finish.

My only problem has been these little flys that keep landing on my panels as I'm spraying, if it wasn't for that I would be 100% happy.

redgsw.jpg

Archived