Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Its Dead Jim.

uplinkpro

So a few years of work and a lot of lost files have just gone dead. My HS drive took a kurplunk and along with it the entirety of the HS 1.0 project my Saturn,DC,3DO,NGCD,TypeX, and ps1 collections. Ws working on and almost completed the PSP master list luckily i have mat of it backed up but lost at least 2 months worth of that too, So back to square one. Man I really miss UG right now. I had roughly 80 setup system too. x.x

That sucks dude, but if you are talking about the HS 1.0 Project torrented by Piratko, it might be a blessing in disguise. The project was a mess, for example the PS1 roms were almost all wrong due to incorrect cues. Try to become a member of PD and get the latest HS Ready sets.

What happened to to the drive. There are recovery services you can hire if the mechanics are dead. If it's spindle problem they could still recover. What's teh value of your time is really the question :)

Well first it started throwing CHKDSK errors so i ran chkdsk then after what seemed to be like 4 days of chkdsk the drive just causes my whole system to lockup and its invisible when i do get windows to respond.

What kind of drive was it? I'd recommend something like a Caviar Black for your next HS setup, at least if you don't mind the higher price. It's worth it for reliability, drive speed and lifespan. They've actually gotten a little bit cheaper now too:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00FJRS5OW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424079349&sr=8-4&keywords=caviar+black

I know some will disagree and say they are using them without issue, but I'd seriously recommend avoiding drives like Seagate or Toshiba, they're cheap for a reason and many are prone to failure. It's usually a toss-up if you'll get a good one that will last years.

Never had problems with my Seagates, (well, 2 200gb drives recently got scrapped, but they were 10yo) but I guess I've been lucky. I've already decided to steer clear of them as their quality/reliability seems to be on the decline for a while now.

The only drive that actually failed on me within a year or two was a WD drive funny enough. But look st the big picture, hardware fails, just because you've been unlucky with a brand 1 or 2 times, doesn't mean they suck per se. Hardware just has a failure rate, you ain't buying a fork. But overall figures of a brand (and their different products) will give a clear picture and seagate amongst all their drives has a way higher failure rate.

Never had problems with my Seagates, (well, 2 200gb drives recently got scrapped, but they were 10yo) but I guess I've been lucky. I've already decided to steer clear of them as their quality/reliability seems to be on the decline for a while now.

The only drive that actually failed on me within a year or two was a WD drive funny enough. But look st the big picture, hardware fails, just because you've been unlucky with a brand 1 or 2 times, doesn't mean they suck per se. Hardware just has a failure rate, you ain't buying a fork. But overall figures of a brand (and their different products) will give a clear picture and seagate amongst all their drives has a way higher failure rate.

Yea it was a 3tb Seagate Cudda I bought in 2013, very sad as i have drives over 10 years old that still run fine from them.

• 1 month later...

So i just got some replacements a 4tb USB drive and another 3tb internal for the rebuild but i noticed in most of my backups im missing the big three PSX, GC, and Dreamcast. I know PD has the GC but im not sure about the PSX and DC. even so now i have a 300gb monthly cap so im double screwed X_X. It would literally be cheaper to send an hdd to someone with the data than to download it at this point. ::sigh::

I eventually got paranoid after all the time and work I was putting into my emulation and other stuff so I set up a 16tb RAID 5 NAS box. I end up with a bit under 12tb of actual usable space, but at least with RAID 5 I get failover tolerance if a drive dies... and I still back up essential stuff to an external 3tb lol. I sleep better at night :-P

I eventually got paranoid after all the time and work I was putting into my emulation and other stuff so I set up a 16tb RAID 5 NAS box. I end up with a bit under 12tb of actual usable space, but at least with RAID 5 I get failover tolerance if a drive dies... and I still back up essential stuff to an external 3tb lol. I sleep better at night :-P

Nice, i have been building a NAS for awhile just saving to get the drives now it just sucks it couldn't hold out just long enough for me to finish it:

post-72987-14287067849_thumb.jpg

Looks like a nice box waiting to be filled! I went the semi-prefab route and added drives. The old NAS is a 12tb, and the newer(ish) one is the 16. I may need to do another split and add another soon if I continue on an emulation rampage...post-25116-142870678493_thumb.jpg

Archived