Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Starting on a new cab

nitussi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to work on the cp and it really sucked! Spent way too much time on it and I still had so many miscalculations in the end.. but I guess I made it work. Time will tell!

A while back I bought four of these cheap 2 1/4" trackballs and never used them. Tried it with centipede and it worked flawless ..so I installed it. Will not be using $100 3" trackball this time! Had to budget because Santa took the money.

post-20997-142870582601_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582599_thumb.jpg

Still have to make room on this control panel for pinball flipper buttons and launchpad button.

post-20997-142870582603_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

For the horizontal I decided to use an older 37" monitor and use the 42" for another project. So had a few hours to spare and wanted to get it mounted but it didn't happen--tomorrow it will tho!

This thing is built like tank.. framed, laminated and ready to mount. (Phone camera)

post-20997-142870582987_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582979_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582983_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582992_thumb.jpg

Best of both world..great cab

Thx! You know I may use something like that in my theme. Still contemplating on what to use, but I have plenty of time.. still working on the software part of this project.

Here is a short video, quality is kinda poor.

This is a fantastic build. I can imagine some fancy effects for the pinball screen during arcade play.

Perhaps I should ask this elsewhere, but this may pertain to your cab:

How do you get gun games to work with an lcd? It seems possible with a wii-sensor and some hackery.

thx! Pinball?? Haven't got started on that yet, but I should be getting my launch button and some other parts in the mail sometime soon--nothing really fancy tho. Basic pinball stuff. As far as light guns..IDK! I assume they work the same way as the wii, something else I will be adding to my to-do list for this cab.

Later on I will work on the external building and mounting speakers/amp.. ponder on whether to add a subwoofer or not.

That looks even better than I imagined, wow, nice work. I foresee many clones coming out in the future. You know what they say about imitation... :)

As for light guns, don't bother hacking stuff up. Just get Ultimarc Aimtrak's. They're the best and most accurate way to get light gun gameplay while using LCD screens. Run a search here or on Google, you'll find plenty of info on them.

That looks even better than I imagined, wow, nice work. I foresee many clones coming out in the future. You know what they say about imitation... :)

That would be very cool! My cousin seen this build, now he wants me to make him a dual-cab using a 20" vertical and a 22" horizontal. Not like this one, but a mid-size regular cabinet ..just wants me to stop doing what I'm doing and build his! lol:rofl:

It would be so nice if more peeps went dual, because I would luv to see more in-game artwork overlays for dual monitors ..I mean there is only a handful; all the neogeo and a few others. But if others jumped on the bandwagon, I foresee every game having in-game overlays and that includes games for every emulator!

And then, Hyperspin frontend can have dual screen support--that be really, really :cool:!

Came up with a few simple theme names, just messing around, nothing much.. I may work em into photoshop and see what they look like.

ARCADE-DUO

DUO-CADE

DYNAMIC-DUO

ULTRA-DUO

DOUBLE DRAGON

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (thx rj)

DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE

DOUBLE IMPACT

Nitussi - awesome progress and definately treat yourself to a sub, with a cab that size a stompin sub would sound great....

My thoughts on your names:

ARCADE-DUO - like

DUO-CADE - like

DYNAMIC-DUO - bit batman and robin

ULTRA-DUO - Favourite

DOUBLE DRAGON - Not unless it has matching art

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (thx rj) - like

DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE - Think i've seen this film? ;)

DOUBLE IMPACT - pretty good...

Hey, nitussi! Good job on the asthetics combined into functionality! I love the design.

I like Ultra-Duo the most of all suggestions, but I think the word Ultra is often overwhelming to use, at times.

My suggestion would be the Gemini, which is the northern constellation for the Twins/ Zodiac root word for the same thing (Castor and Pollux). Simply put into title context is basically understood as double or simply, just two, but it sounds and looks clean as a title for something.

I would suggest that if you are going to put a piece of tempered glass above the screen to keep it clean (mostly from dust settling and to keep the LCD protected) that you might want to check out some of the anti-reflective laminates that http://www.marcospecialties.com carries for pinball machines, to keep LCD glare off of the playfield glass of pinball machines, toward the top/ back.

Can't wait to see what happens with your build!

Hey, nitussi! Good job on the asthetics combined into functionality! I love the design.

I like Ultra-Duo the most of all suggestions, but I think the word Ultra is often overwhelming to use, at times.

My suggestion would be the Gemini, which is the northern constellation for the Twins/ Zodiac root word for the same thing (Castor and Pollux). Simply put into title context is basically understood as double or simply, just two, but it sounds and looks clean as a title for something.

I would suggest that if you are going to put a piece of tempered glass above the screen to keep it clean (mostly from dust settling and to keep the LCD protected) that you might want to check out some of the anti-reflective laminates that http://www.marcospecialties.com carries for pinball machines, to keep LCD glare off of the playfield glass of pinball machines, toward the top/ back.

Can't wait to see what happens with your build!

Thanks, I'll consider that. gemini sounds good.

Unfortunately the cab has been on hold because of work (gotta pay the bills).. and kinda stuck on whether to really deck this cab out or use what I got and finish it, then go-all-out on the next one ..hmm!

post-20997-142870583761_thumb.jpg

Collecting dust. Wow i really need to clean up. Be back soon.

Can't believe it, but my cousin has gotten me to start on his Dual, and unlike me he knows exactly what theme/artwork he wants. So the last couple of hours I came up with a midsize cab and went to work.

Will be using a 19" 4:3 vertical and 22" widescreen for the horizontal.

post-20997-142870583763_thumb.jpg

..and this is what I came up with, just the lower half for now.

post-20997-142870583768_thumb.jpg

Nooooooooo frown.png that makes me sad. Can you finish it in steps (get it usable/complete and then add to it)? It would be great to see this thing in all its glory at some point in the future.

Oh no I am not going to let it sit ..don't let the cover scare you. It just there to keep the dust off. I'll be working on both since I have a few days off and hopefully this midsize will go quick :)

post-20997-142870583764_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870583765_thumb.jpg

Damn your cab is nice, i always love the big alien style cabs.....but hey we are in holland no big houses!!........please just go all out on this thing make it playable and add stuff later, this project looks to great to just finish it up fast and start another!

this project looks to great to just finish it up fast and start another!

Oh, I'm waiting on parts to come in the mail. So while I'm waiting I am going to get this midsize out the way, hopefully soon!

Did a little more work today ..days like this I wish I had a CNC router. Will have one, one day!

This midsize cab is being made out of spare wood I have laying around thats why it is in pieces. Bottom half, now the top half.

post-20997-142870583792_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870583795_thumb.jpg

Next I will work on installing the dual monitors.

post-20997-14287058379_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870583799_thumb.jpg

Archived