Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Starting on a new cab

nitussi

I like building vertical cabinets. I like building horizontal cabs.. I also want to attempt a pinball too. This one is big, about 50" from from the wall. It's kinda of a vertical and a horizontal ..well, you will have to just see it because it's kinda weird...

Here is the CP I may use. It's a two player and my plan is to have USB ports on it for game pads if more players want to play ..not finished yet.

post-20997-142870582459_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582449_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582456_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582457_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An update

Rear stabilizer. Waiting on coin door and 42" to come in the mail.

post-20997-142870582529_thumb.jpg

Cool! Do you have a art theme in mind?

Unfortunately not yet. I'm very open to ideas though!

I think I'm more concerned with the software, how I am going to get vertical/pinball games to display on the vertical 32" and horizontal games to display on the 42"? I would also like the other monitor to display something that pertains to whats being played on the other. For example, if I am playing Street Fighter on the horizontal it would be nice if the the vertical is displaying the game name or maybe info on the game; cabinets pictures, marquees, side artwork... Again open to any ideas!

post-20997-142870582525_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582528_thumb.jpg

this is a really cool idea, im looking forward to see where it goes.

could you maybe set it up with 2 logins at windows, on for monitor a and the other for monitor b (pinball etc)

then login a runs hyperspin set to the 42inch screen, and login b runs hyperpin for the pinball games?

Well this is new! I think I see where you're going with this and I'm very interested in seeing the final product.

Your theme should be the Spruce Goose or something aircraft related. For one, it kind of looks like its going to take off at any moment, and two, it might be the biggest arcade machine ever built. :D

Well this is new! I think I see where you're going with this and I'm very interested in seeing the final product.

Your theme should be the Spruce Goose or something aircraft related. For one, it kind of looks like its going to take off at any moment, and two, it might be the biggest arcade machine ever built. :D

Hahaha, it does look like like something Howard Hughes would build if he had this as a hobby.Having said that, I love when someone tries something different like this, looks great so far. You should call it Goliath, because judging by the look of it, it's gonna be a monster.

Lol, you guys are hilarious ..looks like that because the horizontal monitor is not on it. But I was thinking the exact same thing about the bomber look and I actually have a new CP in the works. Not only was this cp going to be two players, but I was going to set it up with trackball, single 4-way joystick, pinball stuff and two more 8-way joysticks for one of my favorite game;robotron.

As far as the size of the cabinet.. it looks big, but its not as big as this terminator game or even a pinball machine.

post-20997-142870582543_thumb.jpg

I usually start my builds with the cp, but something told me I should have waited to the end. Lol

How are you finding the laminating nitussi? Never tried that - must give it a go at some point.

Formica, Wilsonart,.. name brand laminates that are typically in 4' x 8' sheets that I get from my local Home Depot. But you can also order it from ebay. Very strong and durable, almost indestructible when attached to a flat surface and mostly used on kitchen counter tops. Comes in all colors and wood grains, but that's a special order. I been laminating stuff since the 90's. It's winter here so I do not feel like painting and I always use laminate on all my builds especially around the kick-area. Gluing can be messy but comes off fairly easy when finished.

Built this bartop a while back using red laminate. Will be building a bigger two player version with a marvel vs capcom theme for a friend sometime soon.

I had a spare hour or two, so I did a few more touches. Had to make a few changes to my original design and cut the front off..

Laying on it's back it's 42" tall. So far it's 42" deep, 19 1/2" wide, and 34" wide at the rear stabilizer. So it's really not big at all.

post-20997-142870582577_thumb.jpg

Gave one of these x-arcade coin coin door a try. It includes a fully functional coin mech. Not bad for $30, plus they shipped it ground 8:30 PM yesterday and I got it 8:30 AM this morning.:)

post-20997-14287058258_thumb.jpg

Still do not have the new 42" TV(shipping), so later on I will throw a 37" TV I have that's not being used on top of it to get a feel of how big the wooden frame gonna be around the top. Probably gonna test run Hyperspin and mame on it too. Oh yeah, and build that new CP.

IMAG0134_BURST004_zps8e7cac7b.jpg

post-20997-142870582575_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870582578_thumb.jpg

How does the formica meet up with the t-molding?

Laminate really just take the place of painting a side but it does take up about 1/16th of an inch or about 1.5mm--so if I do one side of a piece of wood I usually don't worry about the 1/16". But if I do both sides of a piece, then I buy the t-molding 1/8 of an inch larger or about 3 mm larger.

Laminate is cut slightly larger than piece of wood it is going to cover. Once attached and the glue dried you take a router flush bit or laminate trim bit that rides on a bearing and flush the formica to the same size and shape of the wood.

Formica, Wilsonart,.. name brand laminates that are typically in 4' x 8' sheets that I get from my local Home Depot. But you can also order it from ebay. Very strong and durable, almost indestructible when attached to a flat surface and mostly used on kitchen counter tops. Comes in all colors and wood grains, but that's a special order. I been laminating stuff since the 90's. It's winter here so I do not feel like painting and I always use laminate on all my builds especially around the kick-area. Gluing can be messy but comes off fairly easy when finished.

Built this bartop a while back using red laminate. Will be building a bigger two player version with a marvel vs capcom theme for a friend sometime soon.

Here is a place to get some unique laminates, I have used their Carbon Fiber for a few builds and it looks great! They also have a ton of other laminates.

http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Master_2012/page/675

Archived