Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

Here are the HLSL changes in 167 from the changelog.

Looks like they added a raster.ini, anyone tried that? I didn't see these new options in the mame.ini. I think I'll build a default ini to see if the options are different.

-HLSL changes [imJezze]

* Unified HLSL render pipline for raster and vector graphics

* simplified draw call of render pass functions

* reduced number of used render targets from 7 to 4 (2 native and 2

pre-scaled)

* made render pass functions (nearly) independent from each other

* unified render pipeline for raster and vector graphics, which means

that all effects are now also available for vector graphics

(except scan-lines)

* removed/replaced simple.fx by primary.fx

* removed CU_PHOSPHOR_IGNORE uniform, which was only used in phosphor

pass function and is now directly set

* added CU_TARGET_DIMS uniform based on the current render target

* added CU_QUAD_DIMS uniform based on the current full screen polygon

quad

* removed pre-scale knowledge from shaders

* fixed DX9 related half pixel offset in most shaders

* reduced shadow mask color bleeding

* fixed defocus strength with different pre-scales

* added slight noise to bloom effect to reduce the color banding of

lower bloom levels

* fixed position of reflection effect when screen is rotated or

flipped

* fixed roundness and size of rounded corners in any aspect ratio

* added distortion pass, which is applied after the bloom pass and

moved curvature, vignetting, rounded corners and reflection effect

to this pass

* fixed bloom stair-step artifacts when screen is curved

* added smooth border effect and option, its amount is limited by the

amount of rounded corners

* added bloom overdrive effect and options, this effect allows to

overdrive pure colors like red, green and blue to become more

brighter

* merged vector and raster bloom options, use vector.ini or

raster.ini to distinguish

* added raster.ini and lcd.ini to parse_standard_inis()

* added bounds() and screen_bounds() getter to layout_view

* added current_view() getter to render_target

* many other small changes and refactoring

* fixed vector intensity

* fixed vector flicker

* replace beam width by beam width min. and beam width max. width, this

makes it possible to create a linear dynamic beam width by the amount

of intensity of the beam

* added beam intensity weight, this adds an exponential factor to the

dynamic beam width (values greater than 0 will push larger intensities

more than smaller intensities)

* fixed ratio of "vector points" (zero-length lines)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Looks like the HLSL options in a fresh 167 ini are exactly the same as they were before. These new options must all happen automatically?

Even though the changelog says:

-added smooth border effect and option

-added bloom overdrive effect and options

But I don't actually see those as options.

Finally switched from a minislg to using HLSL...its addictive! Have been playing around with settings all weekend. Using a current 167 mame version and can not figure something out...hopefully its a simple fix.

With HLSL enabled and a Bezel Artwork is turned on in Video Options I lose any Curvature/Pincushion settings. Game display edges go back to straight. I am sure I have seen pics and videos of this in my hours of "Google" educating myself :) I mean with bezels on and curvature turned up a bit. Have a 1900 x 1200 LCD...if that matters.

any ideas? Thanks!

Matt

I like cranking up the 'fishbowl' settings really high, and playing pac-man.  Not for authenticity, but just for fun. 

Pincushion isn't listed in the most recent hlsl settings.  They have curvature and edge rounding now.

I would use glsl, if I knew how to.  Can anyone write up a really quick and dirty tutorial.  I don't even know where to start.

I like cranking up the 'fishbowl' settings really high, and playing pac-man.  Not for authenticity, but just for fun. 

Pincushion isn't listed in the most recent hlsl settings.  They have curvature and edge rounding now.

I would use glsl, if I knew how to.  Can anyone write up a really quick and dirty tutorial.  I don't even know where to start.

Check out my previous post, all the ini's are included in my two system builds in the downloads section, but the setup is real simple.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/9950-sharing-my-mame-162-hlsl-settings/page-6#entry174452

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

I'm still a total newbie to all this but was wanting to try some of these settings as my current UIFX is .153 but all of these settings don't really work, well I mean they work but the results or awful on my setup.

So, is it because I'm using UIFX or .153 or both?  I did notice some settings present here that weren't in my mame.ini file.  I would upgrade to a higher version by the one I am using has the built in hiscore and nonag in the exe and really like that and have no clue how to get a new version and build this.

Hope all that makes sense, I mean the HLSL I have now works but the only things I would like to fix is some games the black background looks blue as well as sometimes it seems like the game has a vertical line that moves up through the screen while moving the character.  It's hard to explain but kind of like a tear in the screen that vertically moves up as you move.

Thanks for any help

Ed, all versions of uifx should come with hiscore and nonag (at least the ones in the downloads section) so you don't need to worry about that. Those versions don't come with the rest of the files required but you can get them from the uifx website. Hiscore  and certain other files can be copy and pasted across from your old set up. 

You will have to update your Roms though.

Ed, all versions of uifx should come with hiscore and nonag (at least the ones in the downloads section) so you don't need to worry about that. Those versions don't come with the rest of the files required but you can get them from the uifx website. Hiscore  and certain other files can be copy and pasted across from your old set up. 

You will have to update your Roms though.

Thanks Giga and that's what I was afraid of.  I don't have a full set, actually I am using a 149 version and had to do a lot of updates so I guess I'll live with how it looks as again it's not bad but it's not as good as the images I've seen here but I guess as they say the enemy of good is better LOL.

Thanks again

Thanks Giga and that's what I was afraid of.  I don't have a full set, actually I am using a 149 version and had to do a lot of updates so I guess I'll live with how it looks as again it's not bad but it's not as good as the images I've seen here but I guess as they say the enemy of good is better LOL.

Thanks again

Other settings are available it's just a matter finding them. What look are you going for?

Thanks again

That's because there were drastic improvements to HLSL with the 160+ builds. Then the recent 167 build had another large changelog for HLSL improvements.

You're running a version not designed for the settings.

That's because there were drastic improvements to HLSL with the 160+ builds. Then the recent 167 build had another large changelog for HLSL improvements.You're running a version not designed for the settings.

Gotcha, as much as I would like to update it, I really don't want to get into setting up torrent or seed boxes , etc. If it was just a matter of just downloading the new version, I would try it but it's really difficult to find roms without using torrent.

I'm just setting up an arcade cabinet and have all the games I want (except for Daphne but no clue how to set that up) and will probably just leave it as is.

Thanks so much for the quick reply and help.

Other settings are available it's just a matter finding them. What look are you going for?

I was mainly just trying to get the black (mainly in the background in games like DK and Ghouls and Ghost) to be more black as currently they seem more blue. I know I should update since I'm using .153 but I got all my roms working good as well as for the reasons listed above.

I'm also using MESS for my other stuff (NES, SNES, etc.) but the HLSL on there is really really bright so I guess I'll have to play around with the sliders.

If anyone has any older HLSL settings for UIFX and MESS, just let me know, otherwise I'll just tell my OCD it's not worth it LOL

I was mainly just trying to get the black (mainly in the background in games like DK and Ghouls and Ghost) to be more black as currently they seem more blue. I know I should update since I'm using .153 but I got all my roms working good as well as for the reasons listed above.

I'm also using MESS for my other stuff (NES, SNES, etc.) but the HLSL on there is really really bright so I guess I'll have to play around with the sliders.

If anyone has any older HLSL settings for UIFX and MESS, just let me know, otherwise I'll just tell my OCD it's not worth it LOL

Right this took a while so I hope it helps. Downloaded a version of Mame 0.157, I used Phoenix as a test. Please back up your original files before testing these

Good, black.

post-2819-0-82122800-1447940304_thumb.jp

Bad Blue

post-2819-0-15742300-1447940309_thumb.jp

Extract this to your ini folder in mame.

mame.zip

Extract this to the artwork folder in mame

artwork.zip

Giga, thank you soooooo much for going out of your way to help and thanks to everyone else as well, I really appreciate it.

I figured I would try and update to UIFX .167 just to see if I could still use any of my older roms and it turns out that I only needed to update about 10 as I only have about 200 or so Mame games and I'm so GLAD I did as now I'm using the GLSL and OMG it's like night and day as to what I was using. It's like I have my old CRT from my NES days. I figured I had already learned a lot about Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher and I could do it.

The only issue I couldn't resolve was with NFL Blitz 99 and 2K. They were working before but now it loads and gets all the way to right before the game starts (after the code screen) and just sits there. I can still access the config menu (tab) but nothing else happens. What's weird is that '99 was working after I did the update and then all of a sudden started doing the same thing. I tried getting the most updated rom and chd files but no luck but so far regular Blitz still works so I guess if I really want to play the others I could just use my old MAME.

I'm also using the new Widestretch (I think that's what it's called) as I tried so many bezels and either the game was too small or it would be cropped too much but I still use the Neo Geo ones although MSlug sometimes slows down when a lot is going on. I compared with and without stretch and it really wasn't that bad (like I've seen in the past when stretching an image) or am I just missing something perhaps due to being so happy with the GLSL:)?

Now I just got to figure out what final settings to use for my Nvidia card in the config menu. I already figured out that if I turn on Vsync that it gets rid of that other horizontal scrolling line issue I mentioned before but other than that, not sure if I should choose Performance or Quality, limit frames, etc.

I really wish MESS would allow the same GLSL settings as when I try to use HLSL it does show the scanlines but it is also really bright. I haven't tried RetroArch as I have no clue about navigating that emulator and so far only using MESS as I like that it works similar to MAME, although I thought MAME could now run these older systems (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.) but couldn't figure that out....yet.

Oh well, TLDR I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help and Giga, thanks for all the work you did and hope it wasn't too much trouble and by the way love your videos and tutorials!

Take care

• 1 month later...

No question is dumb, there are only dumb answers. We were all newbies once, don't let us forget it.

These shader settings are really geared towards LCD users, to try and replication the look of games on their original CRT arcade monitors. The scan lines and vertical pixelation all play a part in this. Screen resolution, orientation, and aspect ratio do not matter. What we've shared applies to all shapes and sizes of displays.

Try out the settings... you'll see that the shader will make those pixelated games look a LOT better. Ignoring graphics hardware limitations, games were designed to look good on the old types of displays, and these settings attempt to accurately mimic that.

Hi Griffin518,

I'm new at this stuff,

I'm having a very similar issue,  I have Hyperspin installed with Hyperlaunch, the problem I'm having is that all games look very pixelated, no matter on which TV or monitor I use, I used from a very modern LED tv to a very basic Old Monitor, and I still see the games very pixelated.

can you tell me what this could be?  I saw you posted some settings on this post, but am not sure if this will help me, I'm running MAME 1.60  or 1.62

any help will be appreciated it, 

here are screenshots of some of the games that look very pixelated

http://postimg.org/image/4gud8k3h5/

http://postimg.org/image/gjzow4ejd/

http://postimg.org/image/sw2l9m2e1/

Hi Griffin518,

I'm new at this stuff,

I'm having a very similar issue,  I have Hyperspin installed with Hyperlaunch, the problem I'm having is that all games look very pixelated, no matter on which TV or monitor I use, I used from a very modern LED tv to a very basic Old Monitor, and I still see the games very pixelated.

can you tell me what this could be?  I saw you posted some settings on this post, but am not sure if this will help me, I'm running MAME 1.60  or 1.62

any help will be appreciated it, 

here are screenshots of some of the games that look very pixelated

http://postimg.org/image/4gud8k3h5/

http://postimg.org/image/gjzow4ejd/

http://postimg.org/image/sw2l9m2e1/

That's how the games should look just running normally through MAME.

Turning on HLSL or GLSL is what will add the scanline/individual phosphor look that these games had originally (and were designed for). That will help them display much better looking and truer to what you want.

That's what this thread is about. If you have MAME 162 then I believe you have the ability to turn on the shaders and use the ini.codes/settings we've already posted in this thread.

EDIT: Also if you're just getting started setting all this up you'd be better off upgrading to RocketLauncher (instead of HyperLaunch)

That's how the games should look just running normally through MAME.

Turning on HLSL or GLSL is what will add the scanline/individual phosphor look that these games had originally (and were designed for). That will help them display much better looking and truer to what you want.

That's what this thread is about. If you have MAME 162 then I believe you have the ability to turn on the shaders and use the ini.codes/settings we've already posted in this thread.

EDIT: Also if you're just getting started setting all this up you'd be better off upgrading to RocketLauncher (instead of HyperLaunch)

Thanks Metalzoic,

it actually took me a long time to get all this set up, with a lot of help from a lot of people. I'm really happy with what I have and at least for now, I would rather fix this rather than downloading rocketlaunch and spend more time in it. ) 

I saw two sets of settings mentioned on this post, cold you point me to the correct ones? or the ones that will help my version of MAME?

or paste it here if possible?  thank you so much man,

There's an option in the settings menu of MAMEUIFX.

FYI: Using shaders will automatically use bilinear filtering, so you don't need to check it if you have HLSL or GLSL enabled

Thanks Griffin, I appreciate your help on this, will give this a try tonight,

thanks again.

I saw two sets of settings mentioned on this post, cold you point me to the correct ones? or the ones that will help my version of MAME?

Might be best for you to simply capy/paste and try them all then stick with one you like.

The settings I posted (and show the video of) are damn near exact to a real, been played, machine as I had one side-by-side when I did it. From what I remember Giga's setup is cleaner looking than mine, a bit less real and more of a perfect world ideal setup.

Griffins are a bit in-between. At least that's my take on it. I haven't tried Griffins newest settings yet.

Might be best for you to simply capy/paste and try them all then stick with one you like.

The settings I posted (and show the video of) are damn near exact to a real, been played, machine as I had one side-by-side when I did it. From what I remember Giga's setup is cleaner looking than mine, a bit less real and more of a perfect world ideal setup.

Griffins are a bit in-between. At least that's my take on it. I haven't tried Griffins newest settings yet.

Thanks!! I copied the last settings you posted with the latest fixes, I'll give that one a try and will try the others on different machines.

thanks again, I'll post after I tried these.

you guys F***ing \../_(◣_◢)_\../    :)

Thanks!! I copied the last settings you posted with the latest fixes, I'll give that one a try and will try the others on different machines.

thanks again, I'll post after I tried these.

you guys F***ing \../_(◣_◢)_\../     :)

Hi Metalzoic,

thanks again for your help yesterday, I applied your latest settings to my mame.ini file but apparently I need to adjust something, everything looks white, very weird. I don't have a screenshot but will get one as soon as I can.

What I did notice, ( after applying your settings ) is that the mame version I have is 1.64, so I guess your changes won't fix my issue because of my MAME version?

Archived