Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Should I bother to compile MAME 0.149?

gigapig

I'm currently running a compiled no nag/working version of MAME 0.148, which I compiled myself (never done it before).

So I've been looking around for a compiled no nag version of 0.149 (granted it's only just been released) but I've been reading of people

having problems as there have been some major changes.

This is taken from Techspot.

__What's New:__

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of this release of MAME, several important things about the system have changed. Please read the following items before attempting to compile this new version.

A new tool chain for Windows, based off of gcc 4.4.3 prerelease, is now REQUIRED. Go to http://mamedev.org/tools to get the new tools. The code included with 0.137 WILL NOT BUILD with the old tools. The new tool chain has support for building 64-bit MAME builds with gcc, as well as built-in DirectX headers, and C++ support, which was missing from the old tools.

Non-Unicode builds of Windows MAME are no longer supported. The options to turn this off in the makefile have been removed, and future changes are likely to solidify this requirement. If you are still (God forbid) running on Win9x, you will need the unicows.dll library to run MAME. Download unicows from Microsoft.

All code in MAME is now compiled as C++, plus there have been a few small changes that take advantage of the C++ language. For the most part, there is no effect on how drivers are written, except for some nicer accessors to devices and address spaces. Future improvements to take advantage of the C++ syntax will evolve slowly, and will be done internally. We are not interested in outside attempts to do this work

for now.

The SDL OSD for MAME is now shipped as part of the main source package. SDL builds for Windows are now regularly built as part of the validation sequence for a new release. Thanks to R. Belmont, couriersud, and Olivier Galibert for their work on the SDL port over the years.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3164-mame.html

So I will probably stick with 0.148 until more info comes available.

If anyone has any more information on this latest build, I'd love to know, I may even be mis-reading something and everything is fine.

Thanks

The big interesting thing that people have been playing with in 149 (although just the basic binary isn't working for me at all) is new HLSL effects for vector graphics that are supposed to give much nicer bloom for a more authentic look.

I'm sticking with 0.148.

It works fine with no-nag, highscores, etc. and I will only upgrade if some fantastic game becomes available for play.

Raiden 2 comes to mind. That's the only really popular "old" game I can think of that's still eluding MAME.

ttheres a 149 mameuifx64 nonag cavesh directinput/not already built and on the hs ftp. Why compile it when you can just download it completed thanks to Jumpstile?

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?25848-MAMEUIFX-149-Builds-Uploaded-to-FTP&highlight=nonag

Thank you tastyratz for pointing that out, I didn't think those UI versions of Mame worked as easily as the source code with HS, unless it's the way it's compiled. Thanks Jumpstile.

Now I just need to find me some "Donkey Kong Pauline Edition" and "Metal Slug Enhanced Violence Edition".

Nice one.

Thanks skurdt for the http://www.systempixel.fr/ info, I shall look into that also.

MCAS (http://www.systempixel.fr/) compiled UME 0.149 without any issue for me with hiscore, nonag, nobuffer, directinput, sh3 and neogeo_unlicensed patches.

I've decided to give the MCAS compiler a try. The instructions are in French but there are lots of pictures in the instructions for the noob compiler like myself.

After getting the 0.149 set from Pleasure Dome, I now have lots of blanks in the HS Mame wheel, so hopefully compiling my own version will sort it out?

Got to learn how to do it myself, that's the fun of it all.

Compiling MAME has nothing to do with the Hyperspin wheel. The wheel consists of the mame.xml and the artwork. If by "blanks" you mean text instead of artwork that makes sense.

When game names are changed in any fashion then it won't match the database or artwork. If the new game name doesn't match the old game name, the game name on the wheel in text will still appear but the artwork for it won't.

If you literally have blanks "empty spaces" then you have something else going on.

Just spent a couple of hours gathering the right files to use with MCAS. Used the no nag hi score and neo geo unlicensed diff's.

It took a while to figure out, I was putting Mingw in the wrong folder, but it's now compiling.

Compiling MAME has nothing to do with the Hyperspin wheel. The wheel consists of the mame.xml and the artwork. If by "blanks" you mean text instead of artwork that makes sense.

When game names are changed in any fashion then it won't match the database or artwork. If the new game name doesn't match the old game name, the game name on the wheel in text will still appear but the artwork for it won't.

If you literally have blanks "empty spaces" then you have something else going on.

Sorry Deadly couldn't think of the right words at the time, I meant, as you say, text instead of artwork.

I now need to figure out how to get rid of the duplicates of the same game (clones?) which now clutter the wheel (version a, version b, Jap, USA etc)

Thanks

Thank you tastyratz for pointing that out, I didn't think those UI versions of Mame worked as easily as the source code with HS, unless it's the way it's compiled. Thanks Jumpstile.

Now I just need to find me some "Donkey Kong Pauline Edition" and "Metal Slug Enhanced Violence Edition".

Nice one.

Thanks skurdt for the http://www.systempixel.fr/ info, I shall look into that also.

I really don't know shit about upgrading mame so to play it safe I downloaded the .149 binaries and installed over my dir, then copied the compiled exe into it and pointed hl to it. not sure if it's proper process but just dropping in one of the other compiled exe's didnt work for me before. I tested about a half dozen games on Jumpstiles exe the other night and it worked fine with hs.

Now I just need to get my hands on some .149 filtered xml's and top off the roms. I could have fun with the new additions in a group drinking setting haha

IIRC there's an option in HyperHQ, after selecting the MAME wheel one of the tabs has the option eliminate/filter clones - sorry not at my system to check right now - but take a quick look in there.

Perfect Deadly, what time saver/life saver.

It's under Wheel settings> Navigation/Themes

Checked "Parents only" under Wheel filters.

Why that had changed over night I have no idea.

I really don't know shit about upgrading mame so to play it safe I downloaded the .149 binaries and installed over my dir, then copied the compiled exe into it and pointed hl to it. not sure if it's proper process but just dropping in one of the other compiled exe's didnt work for me before. I tested about a half dozen games on Jumpstiles exe the other night and it worked fine with hs.

Now I just need to get my hands on some .149 filtered xml's and top off the roms. I could have fun with the new additions in a group drinking setting haha

I just renamed the MAMEUIFX.exe to MAME.exe and put that in my mame folder, which seems to work so far.

For the additional games in Jumpstiles list, I had to setup MAMEUIFX as normal, put the roms in the roms folder and audit.

At first only a few showed up as available, then I remembered to put the Neo Geo bios in the roms folder, and then audit again.

It's all good.

They added the virtual console translation of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (wbmlvc), which I was pretty happy to see since it's quite a bit better than the bootleg. I also found out the official Fantasy Zone II DX ROM was added at some point (fantzn2x) so the shinfz bootleg isn't needed. It sounds like they are looking into making QSound more accurate (qsound.zip/7z is required now for CPS2 games), but it's not done as of 0.149.

• 1 month later...
I've decided to give the MCAS compiler a try. The instructions are in French but there are lots of pictures in the instructions for the noob compiler like myself.

After getting the 0.149 set from Pleasure Dome, I now have lots of blanks in the HS Mame wheel, so hopefully compiling my own version will sort it out?

Got to learn how to do it myself, that's the fun of it all.

If need, I have create video tutorial for people can't read french.

for compiling, create profile and Tools

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1iepaE-_dcK4WrArWWgkEcnqQdMaWo_E

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question -- I am looking at Jumpstile's builds for MAME and am not sure what DirectInput does. I have a Tankstick with a trackball. Should I use the DirectInput version or no?

TIA

Wont matter.. Have the direct input version with tankstick and works perfect.. Direct input is for gamepads that have xinput and directinput. marked with a switch X and D. Just remember if you use .149 hyperpause for mame will not work unless it was magically fixed..

Archived