Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Metalzoic's MAME .169 HLSL settings of DOOM!

Metalzoic

Just updated to MAMEUIFX 0.171, and am using these settings. They look pretty great. One thing... Does anyone else lose their rounded corners & screen curvature whenever they turn on MAME .lay bezels?

I've never used MAME.lay bezels so I can't say. They work with RocketLauncher bezels though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using Rocket Launcher now with Metalzoic bezels. Got my HLSL curvature back. Nice.

I am finding that I need to set the X & Y stretch settings at about 98% to see the whole screen with these bezels, and luckily this doesn't seem to cause any artifacting. Is there a way to define these stretch values as default for every game? They save in a per-game cfg file when I adjust them with the in-game sliders, but it'd be nice to not have to do that at all.

Using Rocket Launcher now with Metalzoic bezels. Got my HLSL curvature back. Nice.

I am finding that I need to set the X & Y stretch settings at about 98% to see the whole screen with these bezels, and luckily this doesn't seem to cause any artifacting. Is there a way to define these stretch values as default for every game? They save in a per-game cfg file when I adjust them with the in-game sliders, but it'd be nice to not have to do that at all.

Are you talking about my bezel pack? Did you mean to post this there?

The bezel pack should work 100% perfectly with these HLSL (or any other HLSL or GLSL) settings. The bezel pack displays the games at 100% of their native size and aspect as the original game was (MAME's default). The TV border that I use on them does cover the outer edge of that screen, but only by a single pixel on a 1080p widescreen monitor when using these settings. So you shouldn't need to squish the screen at all unless you just like the look of seeing the back border around the outside (which is why I added in that edge shadowing to the bezel itself).

Hmmm... unless you mean you increased your screen curvature higher than how I have it in these HLSL settings? Either way I'm afraid I don't know if there is a Stretch % value in the MAME ini. Have you looked through it line by line to see if there is anything?

Your bezels work great with these settings. It's just that single pixel that's partially covered on the edge (where the score is), like you mentioned. No biggie.

The vertical and horizontal stretch settings are contained in the [romname].cfg files in the MAMEUIFX cfg folder. There is a default.cfg file, but if you add the stretch settings to it, they just get overwritten and removed the next time you run MAME.

I can just adjust the stretch as I run each game the first time. It's worth it to have it looking this good. Once it's adjusted, the changes stick anytime you open the ROM again.

Are you talking about my bezel pack? Did you mean to post this there?

The bezel pack should work 100% perfectly with these HLSL (or any other HLSL or GLSL) settings. The bezel pack displays the games at 100% of their native size and aspect as the original game was (MAME's default). The TV border that I use on them does cover the outer edge of that screen, but only by a single pixel on a 1080p widescreen monitor when using these settings. So you shouldn't need to squish the screen at all unless you just like the look of seeing the back border around the outside (which is why I added in that edge shadowing to the bezel itself).

Hmmm... unless you mean you increased your screen curvature higher than how I have it in these HLSL settings? Either way I'm afraid I don't know if there is a Stretch % value in the MAME ini. Have you looked through it line by line to see if there is anything?

so now i have downloaded everything and be ready to try out the new settings but i dont see a glsl folder in mame can you share yours gigapig or can i take the old one from mame 165

can you share your ini too

so now i have downloaded everything and be ready to try out the new settings but i dont see a glsl folder in mame can you share yours gigapig or can i take the old one from mame 165

can you share your ini too

You can get the glsl files from the mameuifx website.

If you want what I use I will get them to you.

thanks gigapig for sharing this with me after some testing between glsl and the new hlsl settings from metal i will stay on the hlsl settings i found them clearer

and better if you have a decent pc to run it. looks really great metal. one strange thing that i have with the new mameuifx 171 builds thats my highsores not

working anymore tried the original and the one from sevenseal here anyone other here have this issue?

thanks gigapig for sharing this with me after some testing between glsl and the new hlsl settings from metal i will stay on the hlsl settings i found them clearer

and better if you have a decent pc to run it. looks really great metal. one strange thing that i have with the new mameuifx 171 builds thats my highsores not

working anymore tried the original and the one from sevenseal here anyone other here have this issue?

Thanks, glad you like them.

No idea about your hi-score issue, I didn't update to 171 since there were no changes to HLSL or GLSL with that one. I'm still running 169.

Just updated to MAMEUIFX 0.171, and am using these settings. They look pretty great. One thing... Does anyone else lose their rounded corners & screen curvature whenever they turn on MAME .lay bezels?

On MAME 0.169, I had to copy the .fx files from hlsl\artwork_support\ to hlsl\ for the screen curvature options to work when displaying the bezels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MAME 0.172 (just released) appears to have some fairly extensive shader changes.  

It sounds like any scanline_alpha values used prior to 0.172 should now be cut in half to achieve the same effect.  There are various scaling changes, too; so other adjustments might be needed.

-Improved Scanline Simulation [ImJezze]

* Changed the amount of scanline darkness, a setting of 1.0 now
    becomes fully black (to get the same result as before, halve your
    current setting)
 * Scanline height now depends on the brightness of the underlying
    color
 * The amount of the scanline brightness and overdrive now depends on
    the scanline darkness
 * Renamed 'Scanline Screen Height' to 'Scanline Screen Scale' and
    'Scanline Indiv. Height' to 'Scanline Height'
 - Fixed Bloom Level Alignment
   * Fixed target dimensions of bloom levels, which results in much
      better alignment, especially for games with very low resolutions.
      Therefore, current bloom settings might appear less intense than
      before.
 - Quality and Performance improvements
   * HLSL now uses non-power-of-two-sized target surfaces (breaks
      compatibility with graphics cards based on R300/R400/NV30 and older)
   * HLSL target surfaces now have the size of the screen canvas
   * Removed HLSL pre-scale factor
   * HLSL now uses a sharp bilinear interpolation to pre-scale textures
      to screen canvas size, based on [Themaister]'s implementation
   * Improved overall performance. Based on the previously required
      pre-scale factors, speedups range 5-50% depending on graphics
      hardware, more if a higher prescale factor was used.
   * Improved shadow mask quality (pixel-perfect) in screen-mode
   * Fixed half source texel offset of bloom level alignment
   * Removed ./hlsl/artwork_support folder
   * All shaders after pre-scale are now based on screen coordinates
      (workaground until both raster and vector passes can work on texture
      coordinates)
   * Disabled distortion shader for more than one screen and for
      artworks in full mode, does not affect artworks in cropped mode
      (workaground until both raster and vector passes can work on texture
      coordinates)

-HLSL presets [ImJezze]
 * Added general presets for raster and vector screens
 * Added special presets for Game Boy (monochrome LCD) and Game Boy
    Advance (color LCD)

...and that's just the HLSL stuff.  There are also a few GLSL changes, and the addition of BGFX.

Yeah. Posted in another thread about this earlier. Looks like this update changed so much it probably kills previous setups.

I've spent so much time fiddling with HLSL that I might just say screw it and stick with GLSL since it has almost 0 settings to mess with.

Yeah. Posted in another thread about this earlier. Looks like this update changed so much it probably kills previous setups.

I've spent so much time fiddling with HLSL that I might just say screw it and stick with GLSL since it has almost 0 settings to mess with.

But it just doesn't look as good. :) 

Off topic but I figure you guys know your stuff. I see wheels with mortal kombat collection or street fighter collection. How can a wheel system/collection have mutiple games pointing to multiple emulators? Also...where can I get an xml for those collections.

Off topic but I figure you guys know your stuff. I see wheels with mortal kombat collection or street fighter collection. How can a wheel system/collection have mutiple games pointing to multiple emulators? Also...where can I get an xml for those collections.

You could just build the XML yourself with the games you want on the wheel. In RocketLauncher you can add games with an alternate emulator so it knows what to launch have the game with.

It's pretty easy. If I remember right from the main Games tab you go to the Alternate emulators tab, then just pick the game from the XML database you made, a window pops up where you choose the emulator to launch it with.

I set up my dedicated Ghosts'n Goblins wheel this way. It runs different versions of the game from MAME, Snes, Genesis, PsP, PS2, Wonderswan, Nes, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance etc...

Archived