Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Commodore Amiga Nvidia Shield TV

Luvarim

18 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Not just yet im afraid! Im a bit snowed under now. Will habe another go next year. Honosuseri is the man with the best setup so far

look forward to 2018 then :)

the thought of adding another 2000+ classics to my wheel is amazing. the amiga library is too good not to have!

thanks for all your hard work!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
look forward to 2018 then [emoji4]

the thought of adding another 2000+ classics to my wheel is amazing. the amiga library is too good not to have!

thanks for all your hard work!
It's easy enough if you're willing to take the time and set it all up.

I don't mind compressing my setup up however it's not fully setup or complete yet (artwork and stuff)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi guys.

Although i currently work on Amiberry with my pie 3. I am always keep to do things with my Shield I purchased about a month ago. I know Shield can emulate Amiga porperly just a matter of a proper emulator that can handle it all easy. Currently on android I mess around with RetroX to play Amiga games.

9 hours ago, ransom1122 said:

Hi guys.

Although i currently work on Amiberry with my pie 3. I am always keep to do things with my Shield I purchased about a month ago. I know Shield can emulate Amiga porperly just a matter of a proper emulator that can handle it all easy. Currently on android I mess around with RetroX to play Amiga games.

Welcome to the club Ransom. I'm glad one of my videos has brought you here.

Personally I just use HyperSpin and Arc Browser. AB works with recommendations row (also changes the homescreen wallpaper) as well as the voice search which makes it very versatile once setup. I launch HS from SPMC (Kodi) on the odd occasions I want to show off to friends. Paired together they make for a nice setup :)

HyperSpin on Android is a slightly different animal than the PC version you might be familiar with. Thatman84 has done some nice guides to follow if you want to get better acquainted with how it's configured.

All the best with your new toy. 

19 hours ago, ransom1122 said:

Hi guys.

Are there any opinions here on Retrox vs Arc Browser? I know Retrox is more expensive (not really a barrier). The biggest negative for Retrox from what I have read is there is no offline mode at the moment (something I need because I don't have internet access for periods of time). TIA.

I appreciate the effort of the Retrox developer.   His goal of a simplified all-in-one is great, but it's soooo much work to get it right and keep up with changing emulators, OS's, etc.     And that's assuming you are only focused on a single device like Shield.     It's currently quite buggy.   

Arc Browser is a really nice, casual front-end.    But I do love Hyperspin best.

6 hours ago, reznnate said:

I appreciate the effort of the Retrox developer.   His goal of a simplified all-in-one is great, but it's soooo much work to get it right and keep up with changing emulators, OS's, etc.     And that's assuming you are only focused on a single device like Shield.     It's currently quite buggy.   

I think the price tag helps with motivation but the dev has done a good job with RetroX and seems worth it imo. The modified emulators help to make it real simple to get going.

I still cant find anything I like more than Hyperspin to browse. Although setup has become tiresome for me. Taking a break from that to play games :)

8 hours ago, thatman84 said:

I still cant find anything I like more than Hyperspin to browse. Although setup has become tiresome for me. Taking a break from that to play games :)

You've earned a break fella...enjoy it. Was pleased to hear the Wife is on board with the shield TV.

Back on topic....

I've completed the CD32 wheel. For the Amiga PC the U.A assets are short compared to TOSEC. I've extracted the .lha files to folders with Workbench. I seem to be short a few videos but the wheel art and box art are sound. 

1 hour ago, Honosuseri said:

I've completed the CD32 wheel. For the Amiga PC the U.A assets are short compared to TOSEC. I've extracted the .lha files to folders with Workbench. I seem to be short a few videos but the wheel art and box art are sound. 

This is great news.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, reznnate said:

This looks great.   I'm jealous, my setup doesn't work very well yet.

Do all of these launch and play properly?    

First off, thank you very much for the compliment Rezz! Sorry for the video quality...I had it set to record at medium settings. I'm not recording it again in HD.

Do they all play? Yes and No! These are WHDload games, some are not loading correctly they throw up an error. HOWEVER I have added Workbench as an entry into the Database to load the Amiga Desktop as a "game". Games that fail to load from the wheel are playing just fine when loaded in the Workbench environment. I'm not sure why this is. There must be some difference in the WHDLoader I am using for Workbench and the one that is used to boot the games from the wheel.

UAE4ARM is a deadend as the dev has ceased working on it, once Amiberry is released I'll put time in to find out what's going on. I know Thatman was interested in doing a guide to help everyone out. I'll happily assist him with my assets to further the cause. Thanks again my friend for the praise and all the work you do for us :)

9 minutes ago, reznnate said:

Thanks for posting this.  It cleared up a number of questions.     I loved my Amiga sooooo much.   This brings back a lot of memories.

No worries! My pleasure Rezz, I still have my A500 with the HDD. 

I know it's bordering on blasphemy to say this BUT I do prefer to load the Workbench environment than load the games from the wheel. It just feels like I am using an Amiga and adds to the nostalgia. My friends agree with me and I've helped them get this on their Shield TVs. I didn't remove the games that are currently "out of order", as I think it's still nice to be able browse and see the boxart and video previews. Not all of the games I have are actually represented on the wheel, hence why I do just load WB 3.1.

Thanks again for the compliment and everything you do :)

In a perfect world, both will work someday (launch from WB or directly).    For most retrogames, I want to check them out 'quickly' so I find the wheel interface and video previews satisfying.    But I can definitely see how quality time with the workbench view would be fun too.

I have lots of wheels waiting for improved emulation.   Indeed a lot has improved the past year with Retroarch, 3DO, Jaguar... and have you played with DamonPS2? (it shows great promise).

Just now, reznnate said:

In a perfect world, both will work someday (launch from WB or directly).    For most retrogames, I want to check them out 'quickly' so I find the wheel interface and video previews satisfying.    But I can definitely see how quality time with the workbench view would be fun too.

I have lots of wheels waiting for improved emulation.   Indeed a lot has improved the past year with Retroarch, 3DO, Jaguar... and have you played with DamonPS2? (it shows great promise).

I've recently heard of "DamonPS2", how is it different from "Play!"? I've got PS2 games to boot with Play! but the FPS is waaay low (still cool to see them load though). I was concerned that DamonPS2 might just be a reskin of Play!

The open source community found code snippets they believe originated form other projects (ppsspp, play!, pcsx2  --likely!) but it's clear a LOT of extra work went into this app.    The open source community will scream and flail until they open their source code though.

DamonPS2 is already showing very good compatibility and runs the PS2 games I tested on Shield TV at 30-40fps.    Based on their 'todo' notes in their store listing, they still have a number of worthwhile optimizations left to pursue.          

8 minutes ago, reznnate said:

The open source community found code snippets they believe originated form other projects (ppsspp, play!, pcsx2  --likely!) but it's clear a LOT of extra work went into this app.    The open source community will scream and flail until they open their source code though.

DamonPS2 is already showing very good compatibility and runs the PS2 games I tested on Shield TV at 30-40fps.    Based on their 'todo' notes in their store listing, they still have a number of worthwhile optimizations left to pursue.          

Thank you the explanation! I'm very tempted indeed, could I ask what games you tested out please?

Everything ran about the same... 30-40fps.    Emulation framerate is entirely bogged down by the CPU so increasing rendering resolution by 3x didn't hurt.   However it did show a ghost/blur coordinate bug they'll want to fix, but it didn't hurt gameplay.

NFL Blitz Football was playable but had a geometry bug causing corruption with player animations.

God of War 2 

Viewtiful Joe 2 

... I can't remember the others lol...

1 minute ago, reznnate said:

Everything ran about the same... 30-40fps.    Emulation framerate is entirely bogged down by the CPU so increasing rendering resolution by 3x didn't hurt.   However it did show a ghost/blur coordinate bug they'll want to fix, but it didn't hurt gameplay.

NFL Blitz Football was playable but had a geometry bug causing corruption with player animations.

God of War 2 

Viewtiful Joe 2 

... I can't remember the others lol...

I may well look into it over the weekend then! Thank you! PPSSPP recently implemented Vulkan which helped with those God of War games, to now be able to play the PS2 version is frankly insane!

2 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

UAE4ARM is a deadend as the dev has ceased working on it, once Amiberry is released I'll put time in to find out what's going on. I know Thatman was interested in doing a guide to help everyone out. I'll happily assist him with my assets to further the cause. Thanks again my friend for the praise and all the work you do for us :)

I like you heard Amiberry was going to do an android port so just waiting on that. Not sire where to keep in the loop though

1 hour ago, Honosuseri said:

I know it's bordering on blasphemy to say this BUT I do prefer to load the Workbench environment than load the games from the wheel. It just feels like I am using an Amiga and adds to the nostalgia. My friends agree with me and I've helped them get this on their Shield TVs. I didn't remove the games that are currently "out of order", as I think it's still nice to be able browse and see the boxart and video previews. Not all of the games I have are actually represented on the wheel, hence why I do just load WB 3.1.

Watching your vids on WB i think it gives a much better feel for the system. I never had an amiga but it looks like the best place to start

Theres been a good few more advance in android emulators than i thought this year. Hopefully it keeps moving next year. Gonna wait a bit before paying out on DeamonPS2 though

24 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I like you heard Amiberry was going to do an android port so just waiting on that. Not sire where to keep in the loop though

Watching your vids on WB i think it gives a much better feel for the system. I never had an amiga but it looks like the best place to start

Theres been a good few more advance in android emulators than i thought this year. Hopefully it keeps moving next year. Gonna wait a bit before paying out on DeamonPS2 though

I know what Rezz is getting at and I do agree with him. Yes setting up WB is the "easy way" and a good place to start, as I've found it to be the more reliable method to actually play the games. I've tried to show off as much as I can though, to help stir up some memories for former Amiga owners. I do need to make some video snaps up, as a few are missing but that will have to wait until after the hols.

For Android Amiberry, I'll add a link for their Facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/Amiberry-1404251112921477/). It can be checked even without a FB account. As to buying apps, I do use the google reward scheme on my phone. This gives me credit for answering surveys. I'm more than happy to pay devs with "google money" or at the very least use that credit to "discount" what I am paying out. That way everyone is a winner!

Thanks for all the support and compliments guys! I wish you all happy holidays :D

1 hour ago, reznnate said:

Things need money even Open Source needs money. But cant see them opening up the source anytime soon 80million free downloads after the 50k paid ;)

I will wait until they have proved its moving forward every 2weeks like they say before paying in. 

15 minutes ago, agent47 said:

The issue is that it's not open source and apparently using GPL licensed code from multiple open source emulators which violates the license of those projects. They're basically taking code from other devs and exploiting it for their own profits. So if they are indeed violating the licenses they seem to be, nobody should give them a dime or support this kind of behavior because it harms the emu community as a whole and only benefits them.

As I said to Rezz, I didn't know much about it BUT feared it was a "scam". Taking other peoples work, re-skinning it and putting a hefty price on it for easy profit. Thank you for the extra information, I won't buy it until I know it's kosher to do so.

Archived