Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

MAME: Merged Sets?

albert_c

I remember inadvertently downloading a merged set for MAME 0.163. Somehow it didn't work. Then picked up a split 0.166 set (the first one with Raiden working) and the split set worked fine. Now the latest MAME 0.170 has swelled in size! And I do need since I am using a CRT based cab, Calamity's Emu drivers, and GroovyMAME which now has new dependencies. Looks like to squeeze it into my 500gb drives, I will have to pick up the merged sets.

How do you guys get full merged sets to work in HyperSpin? I have always used Don's HyperSpin Tools to created my database. This has always been my process:

1. In a command prompt 'mame -cc' to generate 'mamelist.xml'
  2. Go to hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com to download the latest database
  3. Loat both into Don's
  4. Create profiles
  5. Edit away

Do merged MAME sets even work in HyperSpin? Anything special I need to use now?

I think you can use the merge set but you have to change allot of settings in Rocketlauncher. 

I never learned how and I don't know how well it works since I don't see the point ; I'm fine with using  the default settings with the split set and sacrificing the 20 Gigs.

what exactly swelled in size?

the .170 merge set is 31 Gigs  and the split set is only 52.6 Gigs witch is perfectly normal.  their is no dramatic size increase, the .167 split set was 52.09 Gigs.

Unless you are talking about the full set of CHDs; witch are at over 320 GIgs.  (You should only download the CHDs you use(Most don't work),  this will decrease the size my CHD folder is less then 30 Gigs)

I hope you are not talking about the Mame SOFTWARE torrent  that is 1.3 T

the easy way is to use a MAME version with a UI.  I would suggest you use  MAMUIFX from the platinum download section.  this has the nag screen removed.

click on the non working list

you can narrow down the list by selecting the 

- CHD list

- right clicking on the Game  list and selecting show working only.

mame32-12.jpg

As 32assassin says, the Software List Roms and Software List CHDs (1.3TB) are not arcade roms, so they are probably not the set you are looking for. Just get the regular MAME Roms and MAME CHDs.

If you get the merged set of roms, you must set Skip Checks to "Roms Only". This tells RocketLauncher not to panic if the selected rom name doesn't match the HyperSpin MAME database. This allows MAME to look inside the parent rom for non-matching roms. Obviously, you will have to use RocketLauncher to do this.

FYI, out of the six largest CHDs, only "cubeqst" is supposed to work. The other five are non-working repeats that have working versions in the Daphne Singe system. I say this because not downloading those 5 files saves around 1/5th the size of a very large download. To exclude the rest of the non-working you have to wade through about 650 files and deselect those you don't want. That's a lot of wading around.

For roms, I would suggest the "split" set. They are easier to work with unless disk space is that critical. I does sound like you may be in for an upgrade. Why were you thinking SSD instead of traditional HDD?

The problem is that Pl**s*re D*m* doesn't have 0.170 CHD set that is split. Trying to source another place for the 0.170 split CHD's. PM me if you have suggestions. Is there a way just to download the working CHD's? Like with clrmamepro?

I does sound like you may be in for an upgrade.

Quite the opposite actually. I am building 5 CRT based arcade cabs to replicate the up to mid-90's arcade feel. I am going with SSD's since my hardware is 10 years old (Athlon X2, or Core 2 Duo based). I can use any speed boost I can get in terms of load times. Found a good deal on some 120gig SDD's ($5 each). Hopefully, there is enough capacity for just the games I need. The PC's are all donations from friends that no longer need them. They will be hard wired to the cabs, never taken out, and never used for any other purpose except for MAME inside the cabs. The PC's will be setup as follows:

Radeon HD4350 graphics

Calamity CRT Emu drivers - 15khz windows output

Atom-15 - 15khz BIOS output

GroovyMAME

Win XP 64-bit (since Win7 can't handle super low resolutions)

Chd's don't come in a split set. They are always merged. And for the couple of working chd games, it's just not worth the DL. Seriously, they are more just for preservation. Just use the regular split rom set.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Chd's don't come in a split set. They are always merged. And for the couple of working chd games, it's just not worth the DL. Seriously, they are more just for preservation. Just use the regular split rom set.

There are a few games that will be in my cab that require CHD's, Killer Instinct and SFIII 3rd Strike just to name a few. Are you saying the split sets have the CHD dumps embedded in the compressed files?

I also have the CHD's for set 0.166. Can I use clrmamepro to update just the CHD's that I need to 0.170? I read somewhere that clrmamepro only updates roms, not CHD's.

No I am saying the vast majority do not work so just to grab those 1 or 2 you know do work.

Clrmamepro includes "chdman" that work with those if you want to try and get them to v5.

Alright, cool then. The server at home is retrieving the rom split set for MAME 0.170. I will take out the non-working roms, then use clrmamepro to build the CHD's that I need. Sounds like going this route, they will fit into the 120gig SSD's that I have. I was perfectly happy running 0.166, but Calamity made changes to GroovyMAME starting in 0.167.

What do you mean by "get them to v5"?

If your last DL was .166 then chances are they are already V5. Personally, I can't stand clrmamepro so I would probably just re'DL the ones I wanted from the .170 set.

You can also load up the .170 chd torrent (but don't start it!) then "force recheck" to see if any of what you have matches already.

• 1 month later...

Guess I read this too late.  I obtained the CHD 172 merged set at 330GB, guess I will have to get the 58gb Split set.  Is there a list of the CHDs that do work?  Is there a list of CHD games that do work?  Can I just copy those games to my 58GB split list and use them that way or is that not the way things work??

but you are better of keeping them in their own folder

keep your split set roms in one folder and your CHDs in another folder

this will make it easier on you when its time to update

after that add another rom path to your rom settings IN THE EMULATOR

Options --> Directories

post-2831-0-96333600-1460320168_thumb.png

if you are using a command line version of mame you can add the paths directly to your MAME.ini file

You do not need to add a rom path to RL or HyperHQ  for the CHDs,  

Question, I tried to run some of them and they worked in MAME but not MAMEUIFX.  These are the errors I got?  It happens with all games...running MAMEUIFX binaries 0.172.1 (64-bit).

And when I scan/audit my CHDs on either system, only like 4 turn green, not like my normal roms...I have tried several that I know work and they work, but they don't show up green, they are all grey.

post-28595-0-77330600-1460365996_thumb.jpg

but you are better of keeping them in their own folder

keep your split set roms in one folder and your CHDs in another folder

this will make it easier on you when its time to update

after that add another rom path to your rom settings IN THE EMULATOR

Options --> Directories

attachicon.gifmame.PNG

if you are using a command line version of mame you can add the paths directly to your MAME.ini file

You do not need to add a rom path to RL or HyperHQ  for the CHDs,  

What's the benefit of keeping them separate? I just point it to the correct folder (with roms & CHDs) and they both check and update fine.

Maybe it's easier if you're doing a full clrmamepro re-do update? Never done that myself.

Archived