Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin FE loses keyboard focus on startup cold boot windows XP

aaronwpi

Greetings, 

I have been running Hyperspin 1.0 for a few years now and I noticed that on my barebones WIndows XP laptop that Hyperspin does not accept keyboard input on automatic startup of my system. I have an app shortcut in the startup folder on my start menu. This is a problem with I control the system with only the joystick and the laptop is inside the cabinet. 

My workaround is using my phone or another laptop to use TightVNC to grab mouse input to activate input on the app. There are no other apps grabbing keyboard focus to my knowledge. Only microsoft security essentials and Intel WIreless App is running besides Hyperspin.

My System:

DELL Latitude 520

Windows XP Pro SP3

2GB Ram

4 player XMEN cab

2 x X-Arcade USB and PS2 keyboard input modules wired into 4 player joysticks and buttons.

Would love for this to be a seamless experience. Anyone have a solution for powering on a system locked in a cabinet? I have to reach into mine with a ski pole to power it on.

- AaronWPI

As for powering on the system, as long as your computer is connected to a WIFI router, even if it's via ethernet, you could set it up such that you could activate it with your cellphone or with any internet connection.

Nobody wants to hear it, but Hyperspin just flat out blows for this kind of application.

The applications you launch FROM Hyperspin will lose focus if you really hammer inputs while a game is launching. It's simply not a very good frontend when it actually comes to bulletproof FRONTEND functionality.

Mala, Attract Mode, and Big Blue are all lightyears ahead of Hyperspin in terms of actually launching games.

Now that Attract Mode supports Hyperspin themes, I really don't see a rational justification for using Hyperspin.

Now that Attract Mode supports Hyperspin themes, I really don't see a rational justification for using Hyperspin.

Just a thought, but you could always just stop posting in the Hyperspin forums, if you are so against it.

OK back to the OP's issue... nothing specifically grabs the keyboard. Whatever program has focus in windows, has the keyboard. Either HS has focus or it doesn't.

Ideally in a self boot type scenario you would want HS loading last. Unfortunately many of us need/want things like keymappers and ledblinky to load after HS. It is important to make sure anything that loads after HS does so in a minimized/hidden state so it doesn't steal focus.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Archived