Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Cabinet cooling

ninja2bceen

Howdy

I have a cabinet and such but it tends to overheat sometimes. This post is to try and come up with ideas for the best cooling options, ventilation, fans etc. I have one small hole with fan blowing air out about 5 feet from the base and that's it. I'm sure I need holes for "in" air

What has worked best for you? Maybe share pics, products, prices etc too. Any and all recommendations are welcome!

It could be that my xp computer just any cut its no more :-)

Thanks

I have a fan blowing air out also directly across from that fan cut out i have and intake hole. Depending on how hot yours is getting you might want to do two fans. Mine stays pretty cool considering i am running a computer and a projector all in the cabinet.

Howdy

I have a cabinet and such but it tends to overheat sometimes. This post is to try and come up with ideas for the best cooling options, ventilation, fans etc. I have one small hole with fan blowing air out about 5 feet from the base and that's it. I'm sure I need holes for "in" air

What has worked best for you? Maybe share pics, products, prices etc too. Any and all recommendations are welcome!

It could be that my xp computer just any cut its no more :-)

Thanks

Best course of action is to just cut a place for a fan near your cpu. Orient the fan towards the cpu and then monitor your temps. If that doesn't help then try flipping the fan over to pull air out. If that helps then its clear you have an issue with lingering heat inside of the cab.

It gets mighty hot inside. I'll try the fan out next to the computer at the base. I have a fan 5 feet up going out which isn't enough. Any recommendations on fans ( best for buck and noise)

So the plan is to have two intake vents one on each side about 5 feet up on the back. Between the two intakes is a fan out 5 feet up. Then I'll have an out just a foot or two from the bottom center

Is that over kill or about standard you think?

overkill. get one large fan and monitor your temps. If you have to, use the second fan as a vent-out fan. above the cpu. Remember, heat rises.

Is that why I was always high? Guess I was hot as fck xD

Did you say XP computer? I'd say first thing is buy some new thermal paste and re-seat your heat sink/fan. That will instantly breath new life in that PC. I bet that 10+ year old thermal paste on your CPU is dry peanut butter by now.

It's best to have an intake and an exhaust setup. You are getting rid of the heat building up in the cabinet but are not supplying cool air to circulate in the cabinet. I'm almost finished building my first Bartop finishing the rear panel. As you can see, your intake doesn't need to be as large as your exhaust. You want to get rid of more air than what you have going in. More towards negative air flow than positive. Hope this helps.

post-104398-0-87060800-1458849583_thumb.jpeg

I have no fans or special cooling in my cab. I just left the back, lower portion of the cab open. PC sits in a squat un-tippable case on the very bottom along with a subwoofer.

It must get enough ventilation that way as I typically leave it running for days at a time and have never had any heating issues, even in summertime.

I can't seem to figure out how to attach a link here but basically head over to the www.coolerguys.com website.  You can get thermal sensors that you can plug in regular pc type fans.  They have mounting kits for the fans as well.  That way when the temp get's to hot the fans kick off on their own. You can also find their stuff on amazon and it's not that expensive.

Also remember for best results you want to move air through not blow air into the cab.  You could do one fan on each side and make one suck air in and the other exhaust air out.  or just do one on the side and have it exhaust the air out.  That would probably be enough.  Just don't do one fan on each side of the cab both blowing air out. 

Certainly look at reseating the CPU cooler with new paste. In addition to though you could take a new look at your airflow - if using a standard ATX or mATX PSU for example you could look at isolating it from the cab to an extent.

In my gaming PC, my PSU draws air in from the outside (bottom) and vents it on the outside (rear) - the air going into and out of my PSU has never seen the inside of my PC case. By mounting your PSU in the right place in your cab and with vents in the relevant places you could perhaps replicate that and make PSU heat irrelevant for your cab. Might be overkill but worth considering depending on how bad your heat problem is.

Not sure what mobo you have but if you have spare PWM fan headers (4 pin) you could use those to control some nice 120mm+ case fans attached to vents in your cab - they would then only spin up to any serious speed when your mobo hit specified temps.

When it comes to getting air into the cab - yes you do need vents IN. Otherwise the fans blowing out just encourage dust to be pulled into all the cracks and gaps in your cab/case - they eventually fill with dust and air stops flowing in to your cab - also you end up with dust where you don't want it.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.  If you've ever looked inside your home PC especially one that sits on the floor you may be surprised at how much dust collects.  If your on a budget you can use a simple dryer sheet for the filter.  You just would need to find a way or rig up something as a holder.  I've seen people use an old cd jewl case for that.    But you may want to get a proper mounting braket if you want it to look more professional.

Hahahah I work in IT for a company that makes boxes!  If you ever want to see a dusty computer come with me to a box plant and take a look into a PC that sit and runs out on the factory floor where they make the actual corrugated boxes!  You want to talk about the nasty.  I swear I don't know how a computer can stay up and run like that sometime!  :) but they do...

Archived