Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Keyboard and Joystick randomly become unresponsive

jevansoh

The only thing I can think of is that something similar can happen if somebody is spazzing out on the controls as a game is loading or exiting. For example my dad manages to do it every single time he plays my cab at least once. It has never, ever happened to anybody else. For some reason he is constantly pushing buttons for no reason, when it isn't needed, or wanted.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I have this exact same issue, and I am not using Joy2key, xpadder, or any 3rd party keyboard/joystick mapping tools.  I believe it literally is a bug in HyperSpin.  I've had the problem occur both when coming out of a MAME game and just when scroll through games using the joystick.  when it happens, the ONLY thing that will fix it is to ALT-F4 to kill HyperSpin and relaunch HyperSpin.  Unfortunately it happens a LOT.  I'm getting ready to transition off of HyperSpin because this is just too big of a bug that has been left ignored for too long.

• 1 month later...

I’m still having this problem!   It’s a pain in the arse.  I don’t use x padder, just the keyboard for input.  

I noticed it after exiting out of a game...   all of a sudden I could move the hyperspin wheel ok down, but UP stopped working...   then everything stopped working.  No response by any of the controls while in the menu. 

I had to restart the system. Only does it after a few hours and after restarting doesn’t seem to donit again. 

Going to look into this again now and see if I can find a fix...  unless anyone has managed to fix this?

Ok so I changed some settings in hyper HQ - 
changed cpu priority to high     and disabled keyboard delay in controls menu.  I’ll see if that makes a difference. 
Anyone have any experience with these settings? 

This is a known issue with HS. Seems to only happen after a couple hours. My best guess is a small memory leak... in which case no amount of settings will help.

Do share your experience though! If you think anything in particular helps.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this, and one of the third party apps here that allow you to alter the wheels does so by exiting and restarting HS everytime you exit a game.

While crude, that may just be good enough to keep HS fresh. Cant remember the name of the app though... a simple script could do it as well.

Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Id like to stick with hyperspin as the community is great and it took forever to set up as I want it.  It’s just this issue is a nightmare.  Looked at a couple of front ends and they’re just not the same...  or don’t appear to be.   Mala, looks a complete minefield to set up, Mamewah won’t work at all and the others just seem to be a menu list rather than a scrolling wheel of really great game artwork which is what I like.   Wish there was a simple fix for this...

I feel your pain BUT i have found no FIX and got tired of fooling with it. Launchbox is free but the paid premium BigBox is legit. No controller issues whatsoever, I give it 5/5!!! I run hyperspin on my arcade cabinet but for anything else its LaunchBox/BigBox. Give it a TRY and I bet you will love it

Been messing with Mala all day....  what a pain in the arse!  Just an utter minefield of options and settings that don’t make any sense. It’s ridiculous.  I’m using hyperspin in my arcade cab. Been fine... apart from this issue. 

Currently bulding a driving cab and want something rock solid reliable,  something that just works and doesn’t crash! 

I spent all day yesterday setting up Main Menu Changer.  It works.  It is really nice having nested categories and really cleans things up, too.

Hopefully it will fix the problem, but of course when the arcade is in attract mode for hours, the problem could still arise.

I had an issue that took forever to figure out, but your Main Menu Changer setup should go much more smoothly than mine.  I had a freak weird problem arise. (More details in the Main Menu Changer thread if you're interested.)

Thanks to Spawk for the suggestion.  I really like it a lot.

If I wouldn't have made the mistake I did which caused it to take several hours to set up, it would've taken less than an hour to get going, BTW.

We'll see how it goes... I left it running for several hours with no problems yesterday and all night last night and for several hours today with no issues.

Thanks,

--J

PS  I've looked into other FE's as well.  I don't like the way ANY of them look compared to HS, except for maybe RetroFE.  Simply Austin has a YouTube video on RetroFE and it looks very similar to HS the way he set it up.  Might wanna check that out and report back. :)

I’ve left my system running for more than 20 hours or so in attract mode and it doesn’t do it.   

Its mainly when someone’s actually playing, entering and exiting in and out of games a lot when it does it. And that’s normally only after a few hours. At first i thought it was an exit problem as it normally does it right after you’ve exited a game.  I’ve also noticed that I’ve not got exit emulator key in rocket launcher set to anything,  as before when it was set to ESC same as hyper hq and mame it would freeze on exit. 

I also thought it could be something to do with led blinky as nearly every time you exit a game and go back to hyperspin led blinky stays in “game mode” until you move the joystick then it changes to “menu mode” as though it’s causing it to loose focus.   I’ve changed the settings in led blinky now so it immediately goes to “menu mode” when you exit a game so I’ll see if that makes any difference. 

Can you post the link to the thread where you talk about main menu changer and maybe the link to the download?   Only thing I don’t wanna do is is mess the system up so it’s worse than it is now. 

Thanks. ?

On 24/10/2017 at 12:04 PM, Metalzoic said:

The only thing I can think of is that something similar can happen if somebody is spazzing out on the controls as a game is loading or exiting. For example my dad manages to do it every single time he plays my cab at least once. It has never, ever happened to anybody else. For some reason he is constantly pushing buttons for no reason, when it isn't needed, or wanted.

I have just found today while scrolling through on my keyboard that accidentally hit the left or right key between hitting up and down and it has locked up both times so there could be something to this.

Usually it doesn't happen but because I am scrolling through to work on the genres and look at the videos i'm coming back from xmls etc to scrolling thus causing me to miss-hit the keys.

8 minutes ago, Rowr14 said:

I have just found today while scrolling through on my keyboard that accidentally hit the left or right key between hitting up and down and it has locked up both times so there could be something to this.

Usually it doesn't happen but because I am scrolling through to work on the genres and look at the videos i'm coming back from xmls etc to scrolling thus causing me to miss-hit the keys.

This is an excellent point, definitely going to explore this tonight and do some testing.

I never get this issue using the keyboard only my controllers and I've noticed they are really sensitive when it comes directions.

SORTED  (I think lol)

Clear out the following controls in HyperHQ....   see pic

I started hyperspin and just as Rowr14 has said,   I started pressing up/down/left/right on the keyboard just randomly and immediately it locked up!  

I cleared out the following controls,  from controls menu in HyperHQ and I’ve been sat for a good 5mins going nuts on the arrow keys in every direction and it hasn’t locked up once!  The wheel was going bonkers but never locked up once.  

Try it......

(just to add I had to click “set” and then exit HyperHQ to clear the box out,  then start it back up and do it again.... unless there’s an easier way?  ESC or delete doesn’t seem to do anything)

3D9FA622-E04D-4A26-9747-A8FE1DAB6675.jpeg

Also...  if anyone is using LED blinky and you have the problem I mentioned about where the LEDs stay in “game mode” after exiting back to the hyperspin menu until you move the joystick,  do the following....

turn on the “speak game controls” option where led blinky flashes each button when the game starts and speaks the control for each button....

also make sure that “game start delay” is set to say 8-10 seconds.    Doing this stops led blinky going nuts and flashing the game start lights sequence over and over again when some muppet has decided to press the start button 20 times as they’re too impatient to wait for the game to load.  

Works a treat ?

Nice one jevansoh ?

ill give that a try. 

Just out of curiosity...I’ve got just mame but was thinking about putting model 2 on my system too,  with this could I make 1 wheel that has both mame and model 2 games on it?  Didn’t really want two separate menus as there’s only about 3 or 4 model 2 games I want on there 

If you just have one or two systems, then you don't need to use MainMenuChanger at all. 

MMC is for folks like me who have 75+ systems (or at least several...more than 2) who want multi-level menu support.

For instance, instead of HyperSpin showing all the wheels at once, I now have categories that show up as my main menu...I have All systems, (So I can still see all of them at once if I want), Arcades, Consoles, Handhelds, Computer Systems, and Pinball.  Then when I go to one of those categories, I see just the relevant entries. 

It makes for a much tidier and neater appearance instead of scrolling through 75 wheels to find what you want.

I don't think it'd be useful for you at all with just two wheels, though.

Thanks,

--J

Archived