Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin and Your Significant Other

LSDguy

Do you have a build thread going for this?

When the build starts it will happen. All I have at the moment is some rare short leaf mugga ironbark wood mixed with some silky oak that comes from my Dad's place using his sawmill and all finished. Weighs a ton and if I had to buy it (if I could actually buy it) was told I'd be looking at close to a grand just in timber. Beautiful deep red colour and very dense timber. Looking forward to working with it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scooter. Find out what her favourite games are. If she has a laptop or a say an android device set the games she loves up on that. Let her remember how much fun it is. Then get one of those little single box one player controllers and hook it up to a PC and hook ya PC up to the television and let her play some more. Then start showing her the bigger versions and lean her towards what she considers fun but what you want. It is a long hard road paved with the blood of many arcade machines but it is worth it.

Oh if you can find an old arcade machine with the things she likes that you can take her over to and play on you have a much better chance. I took my wife to the largest arcade place in this country and now I get what I want. :)

If she ever reads this I'm a dead man.

Thanks for the tips, and I'll make sure she never sees this thread lol.

When the build starts it will happen. All I have at the moment is some rare short leaf mugga ironbark wood mixed with some silky oak that comes from my Dad's place using his sawmill and all finished. Weighs a ton and if I had to buy it (if I could actually buy it) was told I'd be looking at close to a grand just in timber. Beautiful deep red colour and very dense timber. Looking forward to working with it.

It's good you've got free materials!

But.., such a lot of money for a cab with a really wide and odd viewing angle, I decided the pros figured it out long ago with cocktail cabs, and chose not to do coffee tables. But if the design is right, It could be really good.

Looking forward to what you do

I have a cheats trick though. The table will have HDMI connections and it will be in the lounge room so I can just run the cable straight to my Samsung 55" TV therefore viewing angle fixed. :) I'm also looking at maybe a couple of sticks like this

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/blog/201/entry-4882-the-beginners-guide-to-making-a-top-tier-arcade-stick-solderfree-edition/

Dunno yet.

LOL I love this thread, brilliant idea so a thanks to the original poster :)

1) Please tell me that THING is NOT going in the living room!! (Translation, my hand built pride and joy is not going in the living room!)

2) Why are the games so loud? (Lol really!! Guess she never spent the early 80's in an Arcade then this is ONE game at a time not 50 lol)

3) Why do you have to have illuminated buttons and a lite poster thing at the top its all so bright! (Yes... yes it is :dancing2:)

4) The graphics aren't very good are they... not like a Playstation is it... (*SIGH*)

5) When you have finished with it, can you put it in the loft, its not staying down here is it?? (Yes, it is staying down here, this is the first thing I have completely built from SCRATCH and it is NOT, I repeat NOT GOING IN THE ****ing LOFT!)

My Wife loves a bit of Super Puzzle Fighter II on MAME, but doesn't play anything else. She get irritated by the wheel sound effects on Hyperspin (I like them so they are staying!) But most of the time she's just not interested in gaming, or hearing about how i've just managed to do something new & amazing with my Hyperspin PC....

Very simple fix for this, remove all the sounds on the wheel except one. Have a uniform sound for when the wheel is going... its much more professional and a lot less 'noisy'. If you like variety, assign a different sound for 'exit' and different sounds for different wheels. I use the 'gong' noise from when you drop a quarter in Gauntlet for my wheel and it sounds so much better.

Try it, you'll be glad you did it. I'm actually surprised that HS doesn't come like that as a default to be honest with you.

Edit: Whoops, like this is being discussed on the following page after your post... oh well. :)

you can turn them off in hq just untick game sounds and have the clicks on only speaking of wheel sounds

can we add our own sounds for download its time we added new sound effects for each machine that would be nice

You should be able to do this on your own. Just use the same format and slide it into the appropriate file. Then remove all the other sounds in the file and - voila! You've got your wheel sound.

+1 for making new wheel sound effect!

You should be able to do this now.

And as I said in my post above, I highly recommend using a uniform wheel sound. You can use different sounds for different wheels but the default setting with all those sounds in it is way too much. The Guantlet gong makes it sound so much better. Another choice I was thinking about was the Zaxxon laser sound. That one would work too.

My wife just walked by my home office and said "are you still playing around with your cabinet? When will it be done so we can finish game of thrones"

She didn't know I was working till 11pm and just decided to scroll through my "achievements" on hyperspin and be happy with what's already running. The sounds gave it away.

New house has a dedicated home office/game room/man cave that's not a side room near the kitchen. Looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm single atm, but I've had a lot of girls freak out when I show them HS. One girl literally screamed when she saw Sega Genesis on my list. Usually they think I'm some kind of insane genius until I explain "it's the hard work of a lot of badass people on the internet."

I have 24 arcade games in my house and actually most girls think it's really cool, same with HS. I think its because it shows dedication and that I'm passionate about something, even if its really dorky. Also, I'm trying to open an arcade bar here in Indy so it all has a purpose beyond me being totally obsessed with games.

Honestly, when I first started all this, I figured girls would be mortified by it, but that hasn't been the case. Lots of very pretty ladies have showed their support with what I'm doing with both HS and the arcade and some of them have even stuck around for a bit :)

One of my good girl friends keeps telling me I should get a loan to buy that Wizard of Oz pin! I should probably marry that one haha

Archived