Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Getting a monitor, dont call me crazy!

BadBoyBill

Here's the mount I went with...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GJYPEC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My SlikStik came with some ~1" particle board that measured approximately 25"x10" which was intended to cover the back of the cabinet base where the computer resides. Nobody ever sees this except me.

I went to Ace Hardware and bought four screw and drilled them through this piece into the roof of my cabinet.

And here's how it look with the mount attached to that piece...

post-4999-142870575391_thumb.jpg

post-4999-142870575396_thumb.jpg

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The monitor is looking really good. I was concerned about it being wider than the actual cabinet but it looks really good. It's quite the showcase. I'm very happy with my VESA mount too. It's very solid, low profile, yet gives me the freedom to adjust the angle if I want to.

I have it set at 1024x768. I've tried higher resolutions but this one works the best between my 27" WG D9200.

EDIT: I'm actually running the marquee at 1360x768 resolution now for most Mame stuff and just using the monitor outside of Mame. The game marquee wound up getting displayed at just the top 2/3rd's of the monitor leaving a visible 3" unused space. However, by using the monitors menu options, I can just move the image down until the marquee is centered. At that resolution, the game marquees fill up more of the screen real estate and they look nicely centered. The only issue with doing it this way (for now) is games like Punch Out or any of the Playchoice material has to have the resolution on the monitor backed down to 1024x768 or the scaling appears off and the screen image won't fit. Not a difficult thing to do, just inconvenient.

BTW, if your monitor ever stops displaying the color red and has a bluish tint to it, wiggle the cables and check the connection! That'll save you some stomach ulcers like I thought I was about to have this morning!

Last night I was playing around with having iTunes visualizer on the top monitor, control panel LEDs flashing to the music, and floating lyrics on the main screen. Pretty awesome stuff. Also very cool to play Punch Out or any of the Playchoice games with two monitors. It looks very authentic.

I spent today messing with Mame's built-in marquee features. Mr Do has authored a fantastic website to get people going if you don't wanna wait around for HS2.0.

I started by downloading some of the available layouts/marquees and putting them into my Mame/Marquee folder. The marquees are a little squished compared to Hyperspin07's YouTube video example of the HS2.0 features and not all of the available marquees are great quality, HOWEVER it gets the job done! I picked out parts of Mr. Do's script that worked best and now I have my own default script for whatever marquees I couldn't locate before. Using the marquees downloaded from Emumovies, I as able to complete around two or three hundred marquees (EDIT: Now just over 600 done!). All of them load with their respective game either outside or from within HS.

I'll probably post a video of what the marquee looks like in action this week. If there is interest, I could post my marquee scripts as well to FTP. All you'd have to do is drop them (zipped format) into your Mame/Marquee folder and then add a minor edit to your Mame.ini display settings. All of the directions are already on Mr Do's site.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=182698&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

and...

http://mrdo.mameworld.info/index.html

• 1 month later...
Well, here it is...enjoy!

EDIT:

I've uploaded instructions and the marquees I have done (so far ~600) to my FTP if anybody wants them.

Looks awesome, just out of interest what is the width of your cabinet? Really tempted to get one but I've only got a standard ex-Silverline cabinet and as much as I'd love to build a custom cabinet my wife would kill me! Don't you hate accidentally stumbling across something that's going to cost you more money! :)

Looks awesome, just out of interest what is the width of your cabinet? Really tempted to get one but I've only got a standard ex-Silverline cabinet and as much as I'd love to build a custom cabinet my wife would kill me! Don't you hate accidentally stumbling across something that's going to cost you more money! :)

My cabinet is about 26 3/4" wide. The LG monitor is just over 30" long.

This is the type of design for a cab I was thinking of as well.

I use hyperspin and like to play pinball as well as arcade but no room for 2 cabs.

Here is what I have so far but was undecided on how to go about a cab. Great to see someone else was thinking very similar.

post-23768-142870576524_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just got my monitor, and the screen is good. There are some nasty scratches on the case though. Not a big deal for the price, but figured I would mention it.

BBB, have any of the images for this monitor been added to the FTP? I would like to see how they look. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, i'm at work right now and stumbled upon this thread..What an amazing idea/build...i'm going to have to check this out when I get home, but can anyone confirm if this is available in 2.0 already?..don't think I noticed it..and if these high res marquees are in hyperbase/ftp? Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didnt go with one of these stretch LCDs..instead I decided to play around with a free 21" LCD that I got from work. I saved on the cost of one of these monitors, but sacraficed the ease of using a proportional marquee. So what i've been doing is sort of creating my own - at the current rate i'm doing 2 per night. Please disregard the disproportionately sized gaming monitor below it....This setup desperately needs a larger LCD for it to look right :) and I will address it as soon as I decide what sized monitor to use. Its a 32" LCD and i'm contemplating between a 42" and a 46" ...a 46" will pretty much cover the width of the control panel and pretty much fill in the little gap between the marquee monitor now, and the control panel. Disregard the wiring coming out from the left side for both the gaming and marquee monitors, I currently have them rigged up to a PC that is out of the cabinet. All of my inspirations came from this thread, and am really looking forward to Hyperspin 2.0 releasing!

Have a bunch more done, this is just to get an idea..Let me know what you guys think!

post-23941-142870580983_thumb.jpg

post-23941-142870580986_thumb.jpg

post-23941-142870580988_thumb.jpg

post-23941-14287058099_thumb.jpg

post-23941-142870580991_thumb.jpg

post-23941-142870580994_thumb.jpg

post-23941-142870580995_thumb.jpg

Archived