Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Getting a monitor, dont call me crazy!

BadBoyBill

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am still messing with the resolution on this thing. I am using Powerstrip to force 1366x480 and it does not display properly. Very blurry. But if I do 1360x480 I am good. Only problem is the Marquee size gets cut off.

I am not sure if HS2.0 will force a resolution or what. I guess I will wait to see once it comes out.

You can set the resolution of the monitor to whatever you want. I have mine set to 1024 x 768 which seem to work fine, I can go 1360 x 768 if I want to. What really matters is that you set the monitor 2 application to that size so it will fill the screen.

So my res is 1024 x 768, my app size is set to 1024 x 768, but my marquees are set to 1366 x 480, the monitors resolution.

Now when I drag my app over to the 2nd monitor it will fill the monitor perfect because they are the same size. My images are set to fill the app internally, so it basically squishes the image into 1024 x 768. Now when this shows up on the second monitor it looks perfect because the even though the image is squished in the app, the app is stretched back out the exact same amount on the monitor. It took me a little bit to figure out how it all worked right, because the monitors native resolution doesnt even show up in the available resolutions but ones like 1024 x 768 do show up. So I see that you have to set it to one of those, but the actual pixels on the monitor is 1366 x 480 which is why the marquees look perfect on it.

I made a quick video kinda showing what I mean:

eYwxLrfAEH8

Instead of waiting for 2.0 I decided to write a small app that will change Marquees when a game is loaded. Djvj helped me with the script I needed to add to Hyper Launch and it works like a charm with some limitations.

The Marquee only changes when a game is launched. So I start the app with Hyperspin and it will display a Hyperspin Marquee. Then when a game is launched it will switch to the games Marquee. Then when a game is exited it will switch back to the Hyperspin Marquee.

The transitions are not great (some flashing) but it works. Now I just need to help BBB with those Marquees :)

I was thinking of creating a NEO-GEO now featuring like Marquee for each console based system and have it display boxart. Like this one:

mamecabinet1.jpg

May need to dynamically do that to get around creating individual Marquees for each game. But I could do that fairly easy with the app I have already written.

• 2 months later...
Instead of waiting for 2.0 I decided to write a small app that will change Marquees when a game is loaded. Djvj helped me with the script I needed to add to Hyper Launch and it works like a charm with some limitations.

The Marquee only changes when a game is launched. So I start the app with Hyperspin and it will display a Hyperspin Marquee. Then when a game is launched it will switch to the games Marquee. Then when a game is exited it will switch back to the Hyperspin Marquee.

was this app ever uploaded, or does anyone have a copy of this project.

• 3 weeks later...

BadBoyBill,

Since we're all getting these LG2900 monitors so we can be set for 2.0 and because you sort of initiated this trend...could you maybe enlighten us with some pictures of how you mounted that "bad boy" to your cabinet?

To be honest, I think this monitor is gonna be slightly wider than my cabinet. I'm not really interested in cutting out my existing marquee. What ingenious ideas have people got?

Monitor should be here Saturday. Would be great if HS 2.0 was too...hey, I can dream! ;)

Got my monitor on Saturday. It's in great condition!

Got It hooked up and running at 1024x768 resolution.

It did not come with any mounting hardware. It did come with a CD with an owners manual installed. I haven't looked at that yet.

There are 4 holes for screws on the back of the monitor. I'm gonna need something pretty sturdy to mount this to. It's wider than my marquee now, but I'm not convinced that routing out a space in my cabinet is the best solution.

Circo, when you get your hands on yours (or anyone else) blog back here with your ideas for mounting it please!

Archived