Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Getting a monitor, dont call me crazy!

BadBoyBill

Well shoot...after having my LG M2900S-BN monitor since April and everything pretty much working fine...the screen blacked out and I can't get any image to display. I just took it to the (only) authorized LG repair shop in town to have it repaired. Had to put a $70 deposit down.

The green light is on, so it's getting good power, but no image on the screen anymore. According to several sites, it could be a number of things including the backlight, power supply, etc...

This model monitor is a discontinued 2008 and according to the salesman, these monitors were notoriously stocked with under-sized Chinese-made capacitors. If its just that, it could run $150 to fix (which is mostly labor), but I won't know the estimate for another week (likely). Will post a follow-up, but please keep that in mind for all you guys purchasing these online. Not sure if its worth the extra cash for the warranty and the seller doesn't tell you what the problem was when you get it by mail. All I know is that if the problem is the screen...it's toast. It probably isn't the screen considering the condition of what I have, but that's worst case scenario.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been testing high resolution marquee images on this monitor, not running up in hyperspin yet. Marquees look so good.

Do you know any good sites with high res marquees?...having trouble locating a few as I go through everything

Got my LG M2900S back from repair...good thing was there was NOTHING wrong with it. Must have been a bad outlet on my older Bits Limited "smart strip" power supply...because I tried a different outlet and the monitor immediately powered up fine. Just weird that I got the green light on the monitor but must not have been pulling enough power. Only cost me $35 glad it wasn't the more expensive route to fix ($180 = mostly labor).

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the process of scanning my own marquees of my favorite games to get the marquee project rolling

Excellent, I am too looking to purchase one of these. Is there a video anywhere of anyone with it working?

Is there a post on how to get them working?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone played around with maybe using 2-3 cheaper LCD monitors side by side to pull of the same effect? Maybe the screens could be stripped to eliminate the black vertical lines caused by the case... Something like this but flat?

radius320163b9cbhn8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Great thread! I finally managed, after much research to find one of these screens. Specifically the LG M2901SCBN. I found a local retailer (Toronto area) who has a bunch of them at a great price. All brand new but 'open box'. He is willing to ship internationally so if anyone wants links to the ad, send me a PM. Cheers!!

BG.

I can assure you that they are $450. I spoke directly to the seller and this is what he told me he is asking for them individually, I am going to pick it up on Monday or Tuesday. If you need it shipped obviously its going to cost more but the price before taxes and shipping is $450. Will check in after I pick it up and update you early next week.

BG.

Archived