Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Announcement

Sorry for the recent downtime. Still much to do but we have the site updated, secure and back online.  Expect more changes.

Modified Hyperspin APK for RetroArch - Works with all modern versions

To anyone following my posts lately, I have been working in modifying HyperSpin so that it can run all modern versions of RetroArch. I know that some of you have been waiting for it since 2019.
Well, the wait is finally over.

Download:

HyperSpin_v0.1.8_HyperSeeder.apk: https://mega.nz/file/uNx0gQQA#f5ktYDOV6nMAWxatrlg6XAYz14ZMdYlkWg994s-1WDg
MD5: 4692846e4fe9a90bd0da3a6cd9f10ed3
SHA512: 2f5db6b625983c189b9f82c574bf48781921780825a38ceaf9c1094bd113545f9abdd06c5b4ac8707093e3e2ac0fc1185b9bc939f30f5ee830a41689c68e5b21

How to configure your Settings_Android ini files:

Main APK from RetroArch's website and Google Play Store Version:

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

RetroArch's website 32bit version:

exe=com.retroarch.ra32/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

RetroArch's website 64bit version and RetroArch Plus:

exe=com.retroarch.aarch64/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture

Have fun!

FAQ:

1. Can I mix and match multiple RetroArch distributions?
    Yes, you just need to set different exe values for different systems.
    For instance, you can use the 64bit version of RA + Dolphin core for GameCube games (Nintendo GameCube.ini):
    exe=com.retroarch.aarch64/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
    parameters=cores/dolphin_libretro_android.so

And the 32bit version of RA + MAME Core (MAME.ini):
    exe=com.retroarch.ra32/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
    parameters=cores/mame2010_libretro_android.so

2. Will it load separate configuration files for 32bit and 64bit versions?
    Yes, it will always load the default configuration file for each version.
    Default configuration files are in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/[package name]/files/retroarch.cfg
    For example:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.retroarch.ra32/files/retroarch.cfg

3. Can I make Hyperspin launch my own custom compiled version of RetroArch?
    Yes. As long as the package name starts with com.retroarch everything should work.

4. Can I configure HyperSpin to load retroarch.cfg from a custom location?
    Not for now. I find that I can accomplish what I want with the default config file + settings overrides.
    If you have a specific use case that would benefit from this feature comment bellow and I'll see what I can do.

5. How was this implemented?
    I reversed engineered the original Google Store APK using Apktool and JEB.
    You can find the two lines of code that I've modified bellow. You can use APK Studio to verify my changes.

6. Has it been tested?
    Barely. I tested it with my NVIDIA Shield 2017 and 2019. It worked with all mentioned distributions, RA versions 1.9.0 and 1.9.1
  7. How can I help?
    Test it and let me know if it works :).
    If you know someone able to get my two lines change integrated in the official build and published to the Google Play Store, please point the person to this topic.

Acknowledgment: Many thanks to@zerojay, @yarrick and @Honosuseri for "hacking" their own versions of HyperSpin. While this version is my own work, I couldn't do it without the information that you all made available to the community.

• Like 1
  • Super Like 3

6 hours ago, HyperSeeder said:

Acknowledgment: Many thanks to@zerojay, @yarrick and @Honosuseri for "hacking" their own versions of HyperSpin. While this version is my own work, I couldn't do it without the information that you all made available to the community.

@reznnate is the guy who did the original build to have HS on his Nvidia Shield Portable. Not sure if he published it to Google Play BUT he's the guy we are all really thankful to.

Congrats on your project, sadly I don't really have the time to test it out. Those who use adopted storage might need to install RetroArch and then immediately move it to internal storage before running, worth testing that out to prevent people saying your build doesn't work. 

7 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

@reznnate is the guy who did the original build to have HS on his Nvidia Shield Portable. Not sure if he published it to Google Play BUT he's the guy we are all really thankful to.

I've emailed him as well as the email address registered for HyperSpin in Google's Play Store. Hopefully someone still has the source and access to publish new official versions of HyperSpin. It would be great if someone could update the official version.

7 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

@reznnateThose who use adopted storage might need to install RetroArch and then immediately move it to internal storage before running, worth testing that out to prevent people saying your build doesn't work. 

Interesting stuff. RA in adoptable storage may actually be a use case that would justify implementing support to load a custom retroarch.cfg with HyperSpin.

On my Shield, RetroArch APK installs directly to internal shared storage. It doesn't even give me an option to install it to my adopted SSD.

More than that, once installed it also doesn't give me an option to move RetroArch outside of internal shared storage.

Is installing RA in adopted storage even possible nowadays? https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/8353

If there's a guide somewhere to get RA to install outside of internal shared storage I can try to make HyperSpin work with it.

22 minutes ago, HyperSeeder said:

Is installing RA in adopted storage even possible nowadays? https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/8353

If there's a guide somewhere to get RA to install outside of internal shared storage I can try to make HyperSpin work with it.

By the way. Looks like RA will soon have to comply with even more restrictive storage permissions from Google (https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/12181). I'm not sure if installing RA in adopted storage is a good idea at this stage.

1 hour ago, HyperSeeder said:

I have very little interest in emulation on Android now, so it's been a very long time since I touched the STV, RA & HS. I can tell you that it used to install by default to shared storage and the RA paths were different to when on internal storage. So I had to go into apps select RA and move it before running it, once run RA set the paths automatically.

If you use adopted storage and everything works with your HS build then that's awesome, nothing to worry about. I only mentioned it as people use different setups, some just have HS and "roms" on an external drive with others using adopted storage...maybe both.