Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retroarch 1.1 coming soon!

noshgar

Huge changes are coming to Retroarch in the next month or so. Take a look at the announcement here: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-v1-1-what-to-expect/

For any of you that have not tried Retroarch yet this may be the release to start switching over. 1.1 will include new cores for PSP, blueMSX and Vectrex it was also noted that there are many improvements to the mupen64plus core.

Also there is a new gui that will be available in addition to RGUI they are calling Lakka, it has a FE feel to it.

With the addition of blueMSX, keyboard keys will be configurable within the gui however I am not sure if that will be available for all cores.

This is definitely worthy of a point release. Can't wait.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm excited too!

On a side note, it wasn't mentioned in the blog, but Yabause is up and running as well; maybe it's not ready yet for prime time... Seemed to work OK for me though

Yes that is true. It is very possible that some new cores that were not mentioned will be included in 1.1 like pcsx-rearmed and Yabause. I track progress using their github repositories https://github.com/libretro which can also be used to build the cores yourself if you don't feel like waiting for a release.

There are also cores that are already in 1.0.0.2 that are currently not supported in the HL module like scummvm, dosbox, handy, and a few others. I will help get those implemented at some point.

I don't see a PCSX or Yabause cores to be of any use at all. There are much better emulators for both systems.

I probably wouldn't expect anything new from the Yabause core but there has been a good amount of work done to PCSX so it may be worth checking out. One thing people should know is that the cores are not just ports in most cases, they also make improvements so in many cases the core runs better than the emulator it was ported from.

I probably wouldn't expect anything new from the Yabause core but there has been a good amount of work done to PCSX so it may be worth checking out. One thing people should know is that the cores are not just ports in most cases, they also make improvements so in many cases the core runs better than the emulator it was ported from.

PCSX is a HLE emulator which means lots of tweaks needed to get many games to work properly (or to work at all). Pointless to use this emulator when there are 2 excellent LLE emulators such as Mednafen and Xebra where pretty much everything just works without any special settings. I guess if you want to use shaders and filters might be worth it, but personally I prefer accuracy.

PCSX is a HLE emulator which means lots of tweaks needed to get many games to work properly (or to work at all). Pointless to use this emulator when there are 2 excellent LLE emulators such as Mednafen and Xebra where pretty much everything just works without any special settings. I guess if you want to use shaders and filters might be worth it, but personally I prefer accuracy.

Well we have the Mednafen core for PSX as well, that's what I use.

I am a long time retroarch user so I am so excited about this new release, it just keeps getting better and better. For all of you who have not tried out on retroarch, you are really missing out. It is pretty much the only emulator I have to use with hyperspin/hyperlaunch since it supports so many cores. If retroarch supports a core, thats the one I use with the exception of Yabause (SSF is what I use). The crt shaders that retroarch has, look very much like hlsl in mame only way easier to configure. HLSL in mame look awesome if you configure it correctly but for the new or experienced user who do not want to spend a lot of time configuring can just choose one of the crt shaders and you are done and you can use the shaders for every core retroarch supports. For me personally I will not even play an emulator that does not have scanlines support since I do all my gaming on a lcd, thats why retroarch is perfect for me.

Whereas I obsessively install every emulator there is a module for in case I run into any snags. I'm very much "the more the merrier" when it comes to emulators, so I'm excited too, though personally I use mednafen over retroarch for everything that it supports.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we will also have cores for virtual jaguar and O2EM an Odyssey 2 emulator.

Also if you didn't already know there are existing cores for DOSBox, scummvm, prboom (doom), Handy (Atari Lynx), TyrQuake (Quake 1), none of which currently have modules in HL.

I could never figure it out, but I didn't put much time into it either. Everytime i selected a core and a game for any system it would just sit there and do nothing. So i moved on with my life lol. I'll try again with a new release though, just for the hell of it.

I could never figure it out, but I didn't put much time into it either. Everytime i selected a core and a game for any system it would just sit there and do nothing. So i moved on with my life lol. I'll try again with a new release though, just for the hell of it.

It takes some getting used to. I am hoping things will be easier in 1.1

I had a hard time getting it working, but all it turned out to be was an outdated video driver. I assumed that I had the most recent driver because I just installed the brand new video card. I hate Windows.

Anyhow, I'm really glad I got it working because now I have Gens and BSnes through RetroArch, neither of which I ever got working on their own. I like the idea of separating out and standardizing the user interface, controls, system ports, shaders etc and allowing the emulator authors just to focus on what they're best at and most committed to doing - emulating the system.

If I could go back to when I just discovered HyperSpin but knowing what I know now, I would have went straight to Mednafen, RetroArch, MESS and MAME.

I had a hard time getting it working, but all it turned out to be was an outdated video driver. I assumed that I had the most recent driver because I just installed the brand new video card. I hate Windows.

Anyhow, I'm really glad I got it working because now I have Gens and BSnes through RetroArch, neither of which I ever got working on their own. I like the idea of separating out and standardizing the user interface, controls, system ports, shaders etc and allowing the emulator authors just to focus on what they're best at and most committed to doing - emulating the system.

If I could go back to when I just discovered HyperSpin but knowing what I know now, I would have went straight to Mednafen, RetroArch, MESS and MAME.

You know RetroArch includes MESS and Mednafen, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived