Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Retroarch 1.1 coming soon!

noshgar

1. PSP emulation is still buggy and far from complete. There are new PPSSPP builds daily with important fixes coming all the time you can get from here. There's no way RA cores can keep up, same goes for Desmume too. Also it's better to use PPSSPP standalone because of all the hack options in the menu that I'm sure RA doesn't provide, some are needed to workaround graphic glitches in games and sometimes it's even necessary to change rendering modes (buffered, non-buffered, etc).

From looking on libretro git, I think they sync with the main PPSSPP source once a week or so. But there seems to be an issue compiling that core for Windows right now, so the latest build is from August 21st. Still, from the 57 games I've tried on the current build I don't have any major issues. Playing through Ys 7 now at original resolution and I think it looks great (higher res has artifacts around text). And RA actually does have most (maybe all?) of the options stand-alone PPSSPP does. Here's a text dump of all the core options:

ppsspp_cpu_core = "jit"
ppsspp_locked_cpu_speed = "off"
ppsspp_language = "automatic"
ppsspp_rendering_mode = "buffered"
ppsspp_auto_frameskip = "disabled"
ppsspp_frameskip = "0"
ppsspp_internal_resolution = "480x272"
ppsspp_output_resolution = "480x272"
ppsspp_button_preference = "cross"
ppsspp_fast_memory = "disabled"
ppsspp_texture_scaling_level = "0"
ppsspp_texture_scaling_type = "xbrz"
ppsspp_texture_anisotropic_filtering = "off"
ppsspp_texture_deposterize = "disabled"
ppsspp_internal_shader = "off"
ppsspp_gpu_hardware_transform = "enabled"
ppsspp_vertex_cache = "disabled"
ppsspp_prescale_uv = "disabled"
ppsspp_separate_cpu_thread = "disabled"
ppsspp_separate_io_thread = "disabled"
ppsspp_unsafe_func_replacements = "enabled"
ppsspp_sound_speedhack = "disabled"
ppsspp_framerate_limit = "0"
ppsspp_force_max_fps = "disabled"
ppsspp_threaded_input = "enabled"
ppsspp_audio_latency = "0"
ppsspp_block_transfer_gpu = "enabled"

2. Is the Mednafen libretro updated with save state support yet for Playstation or still lagging behind? Not sure about that one, can't check at the moment but I'm happy using Mednafen standalone.

It's there in the latest test build. But it'd disabled by default since it can corrupt memory card files. You can enable it in core options.

3. I would NEVER trust Mupen to just automatically provide settings. Believe me, I redid about half of the buggy N64 vids at Emumovies this year and still need to do the other half. A lot of games are really picky about settings. There is no simple, trustworthy, automated approach. If you want to play N64 games minus graphic, shadow and audio glitches, you're going to need multiple emulators and plugins plus different settings. I have all of them uploaded in my ftp folder. You should also bookmark this guideline

I just use Glide64 for everything and it works best for the 20 games I have. I only ever mess with the texture filter core option for certain games like Mischief Makers, which is blurry with the default setting. But yes, a software emulator like Mednafen PSX for N64 would be much better.

I would just be using the new menu system to set up everything once. From then on out I'd let hyperlaunch run RA. I agree that for hundreds of games that would be slow to navigate to find everything, if you were only using RA for your setup.

Yeah, I think it's fine for a settings menu. For me I actually like it more than a lot of the stand alone emulators that use a Windows GUI for settings since I don't have to come out of fullscreen to tweak stuff. And if I'm away from my mouse and keyboard I can use the controller to change settings. Game navigation really isn't that bad, since if you hold down up or down it will accelerate a bit and you can press left or right to skip up and down at intervals of nine. Not as nice as HyperSpin's letter jump though. But I use HyperSpin for game navigation anyways so it doesn't really matter.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And RA actually does have most (maybe all?) of the options stand-alone PPSSPP does. Here's a text dump of all the core options:

ppsspp_cpu_core = "jit"
ppsspp_locked_cpu_speed = "off"
ppsspp_language = "automatic"
ppsspp_rendering_mode = "buffered"
ppsspp_auto_frameskip = "disabled"
ppsspp_frameskip = "0"
ppsspp_internal_resolution = "480x272"
ppsspp_output_resolution = "480x272"
ppsspp_button_preference = "cross"
ppsspp_fast_memory = "disabled"
ppsspp_texture_scaling_level = "0"
ppsspp_texture_scaling_type = "xbrz"
ppsspp_texture_anisotropic_filtering = "off"
ppsspp_texture_deposterize = "disabled"
ppsspp_internal_shader = "off"
ppsspp_gpu_hardware_transform = "enabled"
ppsspp_vertex_cache = "disabled"
ppsspp_prescale_uv = "disabled"
ppsspp_separate_cpu_thread = "disabled"
ppsspp_separate_io_thread = "disabled"
ppsspp_unsafe_func_replacements = "enabled"
ppsspp_sound_speedhack = "disabled"
ppsspp_framerate_limit = "0"
ppsspp_force_max_fps = "disabled"
ppsspp_threaded_input = "enabled"
ppsspp_audio_latency = "0"
ppsspp_block_transfer_gpu = "enabled"

That's missing options from the hack menu such as "stencil test" and "depth write". Those are needed for a few super buggy games from what I recall. There are others missing too. Really I wouldn't suggest using RA for any system emulation that isn't perfected because standalone emulators are always going to give you more reach and elbow room with special features and options you'll need for any buggy games you come across. I also wouldn't recommend people use Yabause either for Saturn, SSF is a much better option and even then there are some unplayable games.

It's there in the latest test build. But it'd disabled by default since it can corrupt memory card files. You can enable it in core options.

Save states work perfectly fine in Mednafen standalone, been using them since he introduced the feature and have had no problems. No idea how they'd corrupt memory card files in RA, weird.

I just use Glide64 for everything and it works best for the 20 games I have. I only ever mess with the texture filter core option for certain games like Mischief Makers, which is blurry with the default setting. But yes, a software emulator like Mednafen PSX for N64 would be much better.

Glide64 doesn't work well for many games, check the config guide I linked as it's quite accurate and helpful. Automated settings can't be trusted for glitchy N64 emulation. Took me ages to do just half the Emumovies vids because so many games require plugin tinkering to get just right and special RSP's.

Save states work perfectly fine in Mednafen standalone, been using them since he introduced the feature and have had no problems. No idea how they'd corrupt memory card files in RA, weird.

Straight from the sourcecode of Mednafen PSX mainline

https://github.com/libretro/mednafen-git/blob/master/src/psx/psx.cpp

"{ "psx.clobbers_lament", MDFNSF_NOFLAGS, gettext_noop("Enable experimental save state functionality."), gettext_noop("Save states will destroy your saved game/memory card data if you're careless, and that will make clobber sad. Poor clobber."), MDFNST_BOOL, "0" },

So no, this issue is in standalone as well.

There are others missing too. Really I wouldn't suggest using RA for any system emulation that isn't perfected because standalone emulators are always going to give you more reach and elbow room with special features and options you'll need for any buggy games you come across.

There are new PPSSPP builds daily with important fixes coming all the time you can get from here. There's no way RA cores can keep up, same goes for Desmume too

Ever heard of a shallow fork? ProTip: it requires knowing first what a 'fork' is.

Is this like the next mess? First hearing of this. The webpage is a little vague.

Technically no. Retroarch is officially positioned as a frontend for Libretro dev interface. Libretro is designed for cross-platform development so once an emulator is ported to Libretro it is fairly simple to make it available on all the platforms Libretro supports. A ported emulator is called a Libretro Core, the core itself is what is loaded by Retroarch in order to play a rom. I personally have retroarch running on two different machines and an android phone, all of which are configured in almost the same way.

BizHawk is another upcoming multi-platform emulator that has somewhat the same development methodology.

MESS is...well a mess and its an all or nothing sort of thing.

I was looking into Bizhawk for a few things but got into serious issues making it fullscreen through HS. I seen allot of devs on it now so not sure if they have got passed that issue as of yet?

There's a simple way to edit the script to have the newer versions launch fullscreen. I outlined how in the bizhawk module thread. However, if you use hyperpause it relaunches in windowed. DJVJ as far as I know has fixed this issue as well and said something about the new module being available in an upcoming release over at hyperlaunch.net.

I'm launching PSP through retroarch now and it's AMAZING. Thanks Austin. I do have one question though- the master build only allows you to use one shader per system. How can I fix this?

Edit: Oh, by the way, the build launches PS1 and as far as I can tell its just as good as Xebra with the bonus of adding a shader. Played the hell out of Chrono Cross on it over the weekend.

You know RetroArch includes MESS and Mednafen, right?

A very old version of MAME. Not sure about MESS but probably something similar. Mednafen gets frequent updates so I'd rather stick with the original. It's not clear to me if every update gets incorporated into the core. They make changes to the emulators when they convert them to cores and then develop them from there, so it seems like they're committed to the initial port.

I started finding screen size and controller issues in some of my systems so I switched those emulators to retroarch. I just don't have the time to delve in and relearn every individual emulator and setup their individual quirks.

A very old version of MAME. Not sure about MESS but probably something similar. Mednafen gets frequent updates so I'd rather stick with the original. It's not clear to me if every update gets incorporated into the core. They make changes to the emulators when they convert them to cores and then develop them from there, so it seems like they're committed to the initial port.

I started finding screen size and controller issues in some of my systems so I switched those emulators to retroarch. I just don't have the time to delve in and relearn every individual emulator and setup their individual quirks.

Actually, it's the current version of MAME.. Use the latest builds...

http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=993

• 1 month later...
Its like every site you go on they are bragging about what they are going to bring out and never deliver.

They decided to release a slew of versions leading up to 1.1. Currently 1.0.0.3 is in beta and is available for testing on the buildbot. Once 1.0.0.3 is stable it should pave the way to 1.1. A biggy for me is the redesigned keyboard input binding and the addition of mouse support. Trust me it will be worth the wait and they will deliver.

They decided to release a slew of versions leading up to 1.1. Currently 1.0.0.3 is in beta and is available for testing on the buildbot. Once 1.0.0.3 is stable it should pave the way to 1.1. A biggy for me is the redesigned keyboard input binding and the addition of mouse support. Trust me it will be worth the wait and they will deliver.

I am ready for all those advance shaders. CRT Royale looks beauitful. I used it on my nightly build.

• 4 months later...

Archived