Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

LED-wiz alternative ?

pixelmagic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is awesome man! Huge kudo's to Pixel and Shifter! I have been playing with Arduino's a bit, so I love seeing arduino coming to pinball :-)

I wonder if you have done anything with the TLC's yet? For another project I developed a PCB with 1 TLC and 16 led's to PWM those. Boards can be daisy chained to increase number of leds (pwm outputs).

I am by no means an expert in this area, but do have some experience. Looks like you know what you are doing, but if I could help you out with something, please let me know. (here's some of the documentation I put up at the time).

This is awesome man! Huge kudo's to Pixel and Shifter! I have been playing with Arduino's a bit, so I love seeing arduino coming to pinball :-)

I wonder if you have done anything with the TLC's yet? For another project I developed a PCB with 1 TLC and 16 led's to PWM those. Boards can be daisy chained to increase number of leds (pwm outputs).

I am by no means an expert in this area, but do have some experience. Looks like you know what you are doing, but if I could help you out with something, please let me know. (here's some of the documentation I put up at the time).

At the moment we decided not to use the TLC's, mainly because the most toys do not need pwm. We have virtualy unlimited digital (on/off) ports that seems to be good enough for most toys. Also speedwise it's best.

At the moment i am working on the design of my table setup, and only use a couple of pwm ports (shaker, rgb led strip).

Besides, when in need for more pwm, just add a extra Arduino board and you have 12 new pwm's ports available (yes, VP-Fx can handle more then one Arduino out-of-the-box)

And about the experts, most of us are no experts, just hobbyist with a big imagination :D

Keep following this thread, more thing will come, just don't ask when exactly, lots of work to be done, not only on the core programming (shifters) but also for configuration making. We also gonna need some thoughts from some of you at the time.

Oh, I *will* keep following this thread, what a great community. Subscriptions are firing on all cylinders :-)

I found the TLC's to be quite expensive, especially compared to the 595's, which can do software PWM (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288285333/15) but that is probably not a good idea for this pinball purpose.

Anyway, the offer stands: if you need help, lemme know. Even just soldering boards to prevent you from inhaling too many fumes :-)

Oh, I *will* keep following this thread, what a great community. Subscriptions are firing on all cylinders :-)

I found the TLC's to be quite expensive, especially compared to the 595's, which can do software PWM (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288285333/15) but that is probably not a good idea for this pinball purpose.

Anyway, the offer stands: if you need help, lemme know. Even just soldering boards to prevent you from inhaling too many fumes :-)

Thanks for that, i just now noticed that you are also a Kaaskop ;)

The pwm with 595 is possible, but very cpu loading, so best not done, specialy for our purpose. The 5940's work fine with that, but compared to the 595 they are indeed expensive.

On the other hand, to quote the Go of pinball: Go Big Or Go Home :angel:

Thanks for the offer, add me on msn or skype, so we can talk about it ;0

Completely shameless and unabashed BUMP!! :D

Any updates of your fine work Pixel and Shifter?

Yes, new hardware on the way to shifters for development....

Also, like mentioned in other topic, new 595 + uln driver board under development, with 16 'normal ledwiz-like outputs and 16 double outputs for more power.

We are looking into a alternative on driving the arduino using something other then the vbs script, with speed/less or no stutter in mind (hopefully).

Enough?

Ok, here is the next step video, some example of individual driving of lights:

rUvZrFbfmQM

I think there is something missing dough...

This is driven from colour lookup table with 705 events available. The next version will have full RGB events with millions of possible colors.

The next release (version 5) could be the first public beta. Keep in mind that this version is not done yet.

Ok, got finaly after some weeks my playfield LCD back in place, ans have done some lines of configuration on 1 table. Off course it's MM :D

Keep in mind there is nothing special done on the weakest part, the vbs.

Here is the video, look on the right side when the flashers go off and the pop bumpers also.

Czi_tUVBJE0

Edit: current events on the right side are only white, will be full RGB !

Edit 2: need parts for the same lights on the right and top sides :D

Edited by pixelmagic

Hi Pixel,

How will the software work for your boards? Will it be the same/similar to how the LED Whiz works with the config files? I'm probably a month out from needing an LED control board, do you think your setup will be in beta by then or is it still further out? I'm really just looking for the same functionality as the LED whiz right now and could then look at expansion later once the ideas start flowing for what is capable with your board :)

Keep up the good work!

Ok, got some extra LEDs and installed them, also using the latest version of the software (thank Shifters !) with color driving of each indivudual command and output.

Look espacialy at the middle and the end, when the castle goes down, the trolls come up and the catapult is hit.

UVKG1llccpo

What all is the new hardware and software controlling?

Is it controlling all the feedback and all the flashers or just the new flashers on the sides?

BTW new led’s look very cool.

I have no more ledwiz in my cab, everything is controlled by VP-Fx, the top flashers, the 60 RGB leds on the playfield, the 28 back box leds, 9 contractors, shaker and more.

And still have 75+ unused outputs left... :-)