The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

RetroArch for Which Systems?

newoski

Morning Guys,

Hope you all had a great holiday.

I've looked through the "Which Emulator if for Which System Thread" and I didn't see all that much specific to RetroArch...

Could someone please chime in and let me know which systems to use RetroArch for these days?

Thanks!

(...) besides MAME (any of the arcade game types, Mame HLSL is too good)

Vanilla MAME is really good, but I got vertical tearing in certain games like Wonder Boy in Monster Land (this with Vsync on...) that disappeared when I switched to the RA version. CRT-Royale has so many options it's comparable to HLSL too. Though maybe HLSL doesn't have the uneven scanlines at non-integer scaling problem. I only really notice that on games that use certain shades of blue for much of the background (Outrun, Super Mario Bros... :/). You have to turn off interlacing detection to display vertical games well through it also.

Oh yes, forgot I did PlayStation as well. I haven't fiddled with any settings yet, just done the bare minimum to get things working.

One thing I'll have to investigate when I have time is using various console controllers via usb adaptors instead of Xbox 360 pad for everything.

You mean PSP? It does run PSP, quite well. Though to my chagrin no emulator or core, this is including dolphin for the wii, will run Silent Hill: Shattered Memories decently. I only bring this up because I'm not sure exactly how much you can expect in terms of emulator "improvement" via RA core. However, for N64 for instance, some games I could never get to run without minor glitches, Paper Mario for instance, run much better via Retroarch for me.

You mean PSP? It does run PSP, quite well. Though to my chagrin no emulator or core, this is including dolphin for the wii, will run Silent Hill: Shattered Memories decently. I only bring this up because I'm not sure exactly how much you can expect in terms of emulator "improvement" via RA core. However, for N64 for instance, some games I could never get to run without minor glitches, Paper Mario for instance, run much better via Retroarch for me.

PBP is a compressed PSX ISO to run on PSP, but PCSX and EPSXE now run them, the advantage is that you can compress it and run games in PBP without the need to decompress like 7z. I saved lots of Gigabites without losing any loading performance.

PBP is a compressed PSX ISO to run on PSP, but PCSX and EPSXE now run them, the advantage is that you can compress it and run games in PBP without the need to decompress like 7z. I saved lots of Gigabites without losing any loading performance.

Mednafen/Beetle doesn't support any compressed ISO formats yet. It'd save me a decent chunk of space to compress my PSX library (using .gz for PS2 ISOs saved me around 80 GB) so I hope it's added someday.

Mednafen/Beetle doesn't support any compressed ISO formats yet. It'd save me a decent chunk of space to compress my PSX library (using .gz for PS2 ISOs saved me around 80 GB) so I hope it's added someday.

I tried running games with RetroArch using my PBP files, it doesn't work, but PCFX makes a really good job running them without using Daemon tools and the graphics are really clean, I'll keep it for now.

What compression method did you use with PS2 Isos?

I pretty much use the same settings for every system in RA except the Handhelds, For PSX it's the Mednafen core and see the screen for the shaders.

I will have a look into pbp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48915[/ATTACH]

GigaPig,

Could you post a screenshot of your "standard" settings across all non-PS1 systems?

Thanks!!!

I used this guide to compress them with 7zip in gzip format. Make sure your using a recent enough enough dev build of PCSX2, since support for it was added after the last stable one.

Thanks for that, compressing this way they are launched without decompression or like 7z method?

Anyone here that uses Retroarch to emulate NES are having FPS slow down issues? Mine runs around 47 FPS and I used the same shader I use in the others.

I configured RetroArch for at least 10 systems and they run at 60 FPS, even SNES with BNES Accuracy core, maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for that, compressing this way they are launched without decompression or like 7z method?

Launched without decompression. PCSX2 can load them just like .iso files. Beware there is a small wait time for each compressed game to load the first time, since PCSX2 has to create an index file. So you get a black screen for around 10 seconds or so when that's happening. And if you use HyperLaunch you have to add .gz to the list of extensions in the module. Unless that's been updated.

Launched without decompression. PCSX2 can load them just like .iso files. Beware there is a small wait time for each compressed game to load the first time, since PCSX2 has to create an index file. So you get a black screen for around 10 seconds or so when that's happening. And if you use HyperLaunch you have to add .gz to the list of extensions in the module. Unless that's been updated.

Thanks for the tip, I'll surely compress the few games I have for PS2 this way, the more space saved, the better.

Archived