Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LotarisPin - Standard Size - Two Monitors (40/26)

freezy

What I did is I used those standard modding leds for a PC and basically drilled a 4mm hole with a 45 degree angle next to the hole for the flipper buttons so that it connected with the hole of the flipper button almost at the very outside. Into that very small tunnel I basically inserted the led and moved it right up to the top. This way it now illuminates the button completely since it hits the front rim of the button, which is circular and thus break the light nicely. I used one led per button, which is perfectly fine for me. You might want to try it "outside" the cab first to check whether it is to your liking. I did so with a prototype first but was happy with the results and just went with it. The leds take their power from the computer. So not really difficult to set up.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry, maybe half of it got lost in my bad translation. I included a pic of the led I use as well as the buttons. Was the drilling part understandable though? I removed the plasic casing from the LED so I could fit just the LED through the 4mm whole I drilled. If I am not mistaken, you can still buy those pre-wired LED sets online. I was wondering though where you got those leaf switches? THey are impossible to find in Germany :(

post-60069-142870582534_thumb.jpg

I actually still have no idea how people illuminate their flipper buttons, because the leaf thingie and screw nut cover nearly everything of the button and just on top is the contact, so the light has to come from the sides somehow.

Like this

post-64174-142870582538_thumb.jpg

Added some more LED strip below the apron. Looks awesome!

IMG_3254_zps332b48f5.jpg

Then I seem to have a heat problem. In the coin door, every bulb I put it seems to die after a few hours. The normal #555 bulbs just went belly up, then I ordered some LED bulbs which got really hot (even outside the coin door, hanging the the open). This one I disconnected before it died:

IMG_3251_zpsc7203b65.jpg

They're supposed to run on 12V and I measured the voltage with a multimeter, it's 11.9something Volts. Do I also need a resistor for those? Seems weird because all the 12V bulbs of the other buttons seem to run without major problems and they are also directly connected to the PSU (they are also warm but don't break after a few hours).

Maxxsinner? Professional advice? :)

Cheers!

EDIT: I guess the image says it all: 6.3 V AC.

Okay that was kind of stupid. I could swear that I've read 12V on led4pin.com. I'll pull the 5V from the PC's PSU then I guess. Still doesn't explain why the conventional bulbs broke, those were the same as the others behind the other buttons.

Freezy,

I replaced all my bulbs with 5v leds. All run from the 5v supply from the psu, no heat issues at all.

Good to know, I might do just that. Would like to keep the "classic" bulbs though, since I like the "analog" blinking. But I indeed didn't realize that even the bulbs are probably supposed to run on 5V instead of 12V.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So a few weeks passed and I think that the artwork has become something I can live with (and my Photoshop skills tripled). :)

I think I haven't mentioned yet that I'm building this baby at work with the financial support of a few co-workers, so obviously the theme is related to our company (which is called "Lotaris", we're in the mobile licensing business, so the pirates give a nice ironical touch). Seeing the artwork you'll probably think I'm crazy, but there is a ton of insider jokes in there that I won't go into. ;)

Here you see the artwork progressing from its first sketch to the final version.

artwork-history.png

And here all the pieces:

artwork-overview.png

Resolution is at 150dpi, I hope that's enough:

artwork-sample.png

Let me know what you think!

Archived