Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/DMD - Standard Body

mikekim

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it can't wait to see the artwork applied

i know how you feel - i've been waiting ages and spent countless hours making small changes to the artwork that is going to be installed - hopefully it will all work out ok..

just now sending the links to Lucian, so hopefully it should be here within the next 10 days or so (postal service permitting)

I don't remember how you wanted to access the PC from the opening..

Just two hinges or a more complicated system?

the pc is on a removable tray accessed from the bottom - it can be installed and removed from the underside with a bit of manipulation, if i need access to the system.

during extensive testing the pc has been solid as a rock and not required any maintenance when running. i have a small bluetooth keyboard and mouse that will reside in the cab, if it is required at any point.

BTW, I'd recommand to add two small holes at the bottom near the front.

One to switch on the system, the other for the feedback night mode.

the power on switch is located on the front underside of the motherboard tray.

I will probably have a night mode switch (if required) inside the coin door or use the functionality of one of the fplaunch menus to disable the ledwiz

quick update

not much really happening on the build.. waiting for the artwork to arrive

ordered some 6mm polycarbonate sheet cut to size for the front screen.

slot cut the backbox sides for the chrome t-mold to be fitted.

picked up some atx extension cables from ebay 10pc's for £8- will work nicely for modifying, for the quick release for the virtual output kit tray and the back box flashers. cheaper than if i bought the molex connecters myself... the joys of mass production

$T2eC16RHJIkFHR3YvF3rBR-iv+(NR!~~60_12.JPG

work still left to do... scary when you list it all out...

back box:

flasher caps need affixing to the top of the back box and screws hiding with filler.

rear backbox door needs affixing to back box.

polycarbonate screen needs affixing to front.

chrome carbon wrap needs affixing to front and back.

side art application.

chrome t-molding installation.

led flashers need installing and wiring.

installation of led strobes.

backbox tv needs installing.

speakers need installing in unit.

quick release cabling needs to be installed to allow for separation of back box and cab body.

easy mounting solution for affixing back box to cab body.

cab body

install slotted trunking wiring trays.

install cooling fans - 2x in base 2x in rear of cab.

install single power switch

install subwoofer.

install main screen.

install dmd and mount pindmd2 out of sight.

install virtual output kit on removable tray - with quick release connections.

install toys.

install plunger and nudge unit.

install buttons and ipaq (keeping with the ipaq, rather than the plunger key encoder, as i want the shifted button functionality for volume control.

install coin door.

wire it all up - nice easy step this one....

install artwork - have also picked up some Black chrome wrap for the play field sides and dmd back wall

install chrome lockdown bar and glass

install chrome side rails - will need shortening to fit

install chrome legs

install underside RGB led strip

install pc

plug it all in and play some pinball

Well, when you break it down like that, it doesn't look to be to discouraging. Don't get overwhelmed, just keep at it one thing at a time.

No plan to hinge the backbox? Or just making it removable

I'll probably hinge the back box. Depends on how I finally secure the back box to the cab

• 3 weeks later...

update

sorry its been so long since an update but i've had a stinking cold and haven't fancied working on the pinball..

bits that have happened since the last post..

got the perspex delivered for the back box screen front. from theplasticpeople.co.uk

got the heat shrink tubing for the wires to be joined to the atx connectors from ebay.

:party:/drum roll/:party:

the artwork has arrived....

all i can say is WOW... it looks fantastic, Lucian has done a fantastic job printing this, shame it took ages to arrive due to the quality service that we like to call the royal mail (it sat in customs for 10 days, because some idiot there forgot to raise a customs payment invoice..)

should be able to make some major progress on the build next week as i have some time off from work..

will keep you guys posted..

update

sorry its been so long since an update but i've had a stinking cold and haven't fancied working on the pinball..

bits that have happened since the last post..

got the perspex delivered for the back box screen front. from theplasticpeople.co.uk

got the heat shrink tubing for the wires to be joined to the atx connectors from ebay.

:party:/drum roll/:party:

the artwork has arrived....

all i can say is WOW... it looks fantastic, Lucian has done a fantastic job printing this, shame it took ages to arrive due to the quality service that we like to call the royal mail (it sat in customs for 10 days, because some idiot there forgot to raise a customs payment invoice..)

should be able to make some major progress on the build next week as i have some time off from work..

will keep you guys posted..

Hope you feel better soon mate,get some pics of that art before you get it on

get some pics of that art before you get it on
Can't wait to see the first pics :)

all righty then...

sides

kq25.jpg

front

hwtq.jpg

backbox

u802.jpg

not great quality shots - done with my Galaxy Note II

todays update

installed the flasher caps into the back box, masked off the lenses and applied filler to cover the screwholes

7fv1.jpg

will need to sand down once the filler has dried

also installed the coin door.. countersunk the bolt holes for screws, so it can sit recessed properly

99zp.jpg

filled the surrounding area with filler and will try to get the join as smooth as possible, as this will be located under the artwork

r3f6.jpg

this will be sanded down on wednesday..

the artwork all going well should be installed on friday??

This thread is terrific. Being a complete newb, I am in complete awe of your attention to detail. I have learned a great deal from this thread.

Didn't read any mention of beer. how did you complete such a task so far without beer?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad this thread is of use to you.

I do consume copious amounts of alcohol (you only have to look back a couple of pages to see the £700 worth of whiskey that I picked up from a trip to the distilleries on Islay), but not when working on the projects.

It also doesn't help that I build these at my parents house which is 15 miles from mine, so I have to drive there and back.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

update

busy day today....time to install the graphics...

started off on the back box, measured out the flasher caps and used some old lining paper (wallpaper) to get the holes correct before cutting out the holes on the chrome carbon vinyl.

4krc.jpg

also used the same method to mark out the back box screen.

image of back box with vinyl applied.

z25y.jpg.

installed back box side art

oapz.jpg

used the same masking method for the front of the main cab for the cutout for the coin door.

positioned the mask over the artwork, to allow marking to get the cutout correct

j2gy.jpg

artwork installed and buttons installed for test fitting..

nnlv.jpg

next installed the side art.

76un.jpg

finally a shot with the back box placed on the cab for an overview shot.

rvpu.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Nice build mike, did you do all the artwork yourself, very original. Quality build right from the start...

Nope,

I just robbed them from the Internet. . The joys of Google image search.

Had to play with photoshop though, to resize the sections I needed and add text where required.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Are we Worried about Mike yet? It's been ages since his last post

hey life happens... one day you have all the time in the world... then work comes and robs all your free time.

the build will be starting up again in the next month or so...

Archived