Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/DMD - Standard Body

mikekim

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What LCD'S did u use?

Very nice!!!

Quote from the very first post in this thread..

"I have opted for the Samsung ES6300 40" screen for the main play field and a Samsung T27A300 27 inch Widescreen LED for the back glass."

Not sure if you can get them any more as I did pick them up nearly 2 years ago now..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I love the look of this build. Did you need to do anything special to get a 40" LCD into the standard cabinet?

My 40 fits inside with no issues, most of todays 40" samsung range will fit inside a standard cab, with little or no routing, as the bezels are 5mm.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

not really an update as such, but a new addition (just love gadgets that can add to the build)

pdtk.jpg

2h24.jpg

this is a touch wheel RGB LED controller that allows you to select any colour for your LED strips simply and quickly.

it fits in a standard 25mm 1 gang back box.

(if the led strip wasn't somewhere else i would post some pics of it running)

• 2 weeks later...
What a build this is :)

I'd hate to think what this has cost you so far, it seems it has the best components you can buy. Looking forward to completion and seeing it in action.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

if i include the £2000+ cost of the pc used then the price (including all the spare bits i have left over) is pretty close to the £10k mark :dontknow:

if i include the £2000+ cost of the pc used then the price (including all the spare bits i have left over) is pretty close to the £10k mark :dontknow:

That's fn awesome :) and I thought I was mad with my G4D spend but this is something else. You must have a very understanding partner, my wife would go ape shit crazy if I spent 10k on a vpin, I would like to though lol.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

update

time to start the wiring...

j1ue.jpg

started wiring the virtual output tray. quite laborious really prepping all the wires and screwing onto the terminals on Zeb's wonderful boards.

using orange for 24v, Yellow for 12v, Red for 5v, and black for common (ground)

p8sj.jpg

shot of the flasher wiring and all the other wiring in the cable tray.

x7l4.jpg

shot of tray with cable trays closed - looks pretty clean - still need to wire up the common (black cables) to a terminal block.

f0j6.jpg

shot of wires ready to be toned out and soldered onto the 24 way connectors, which will make the tray easily removable if needed.

forgot to take up my multimeter, so this will have to wait until next week.

update

just some soldering today

hu62.jpg

used steadying arms to hold the cables to make the soldering easier

1fns.jpg

all cables soldered and heat shrink tubing applied..

hours of fun for all the family :face palm: hey at least that part is done.

next up the flasher rgbs..

update

only managed to get a couple of hours work in today, due to other commitments

pt7h.jpg

soldered the connections for the flashers to 1.7m of 20AWG cable

xd7s7.jpg

all 5 done ready for installation into the cab.

update

time to start on the cab internals

swew.jpg

installed the rear fans.

qe8b.jpg

flush fitted the front buttons, and installed the new chrome legs and coloured protectors

mwfu.jpg

installed the launch button and plunger

6mfh.jpg

started to install all of the cable tray to hide all of the wiring. (note the quality duvet cover used to protect the table :hahaha:)

evxn.jpg

installed inlet fans, contactors and sub. had to lower the position of the front contactors as the plunger tube was snagging the contactor

4j76.jpg

test installation of the I/O board tray.. seems to fit ok - there is enough clearance for the PC tray underneath. might have to look at moving the bumper contactors, as they keep fouling installation and removal of the tray.

still have to work out where to put the shaker / gear motors yet.

update

picked up some more bits for the build..

dcudf.jpg

dual leaf flipper buttons, so i only need one set of buttons on the side of the cab (for dual flippers and magnasave).

oh81f.jpg

Bravo Audio V2 tube amp (with Phillips 12UA7 upgraded tube, to replace the cheap chinese one originally installed) for the secondary audio system.

Cambidge audio minx speakers have been sat around for a while, will finally get used..

Griffen powemate USB control is new - this will be installed on the underside of the cab to control the master volume levels

3rfn.jpg

new reservoir and Laing D5 pump to replace the existing PC water-cooling unit, thats starting to make some funny noises when running.

Great buys

Erm please educate me what are dual leaf switches ?

you can have two sets of flippers attached to one button.

if you push the button half way it activates only the big leaf switches, a full press activates both switches.

update.

one thing i noticed last week was that i has misjudged where the power comes into the cab and when i attached the rear legs the plate was fouling the hole.

xa2p.jpg

so i picked up a new smaller leg plate that would clear the hole, just for that rear corner. i could have modified the plate, but this was the easiest solution.

0kw0n.jpg

installed the secondary speakers inside the cab - they are pointing upwards towards the underside of the screen, should work well for the mechanical sounds. (pic is upside down, but you get the idea)

i7d2.jpg

tested the amp (after making up a custom cable for the speakers (basically soldered a stereo jack plug to to the speaker left and right cables)

ofg8.jpg

the valve makes a nice blue glow - the sound quality is fantastic (tested with my phone), however its not very loud,as this is essentially a headphone amp, but should suffice for mechanical sounds.

Installed the dual leaf switches. had to cut them down a bit to fit the cab.

22tk.jpg

tested the push and a full press activates the second leaf contact.

started on the button wiring.

u7ef.jpg

i'm using blue for the connections to the ipac, black for ground and red for the 5v on the button lights, will look at tidying the wiring up later when the rest is done.

• 2 weeks later...

update:

d6g5.jpg

wired up the contactors selected final positions for the bumper ones that don't foul the tray when removed. (excuse the carnage of tools and wire)

gcsth.jpg

finished installation of the plunger - making sure that it was clear of all cables.

hiva.jpg

tried out the fitment of the glass... only had it a about a year :flute: - luckily it fits with no problems

cxk6.jpg

Chrome polished Lockdown bar installed - will need to adjust so it clamps the class down properly. this will be done when the side rails are installed

sv7a.jpg

final shot showing chromed legs, blue leg protectors and oak pinball feet.. if i say so myself its gonna look epic when completed..

Archived