Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/DMD - Standard Body

mikekim

Right here goes....

After months of reading and head scratching I feel its time to start my own cabinet build.

Many thanks to all of the fantastic people on this site who have figured out so much on how these things go together. you guys all deserve a medal or something :congrats:

Let the Build commence...

After seeing Mamemans fantasitic Tron P2K build, I thought about doing something similar, but decided against it, and plumped for a standard body cab (Freezy's detailed plans helped to a certain degree), and the detailed threads from Chriz99 and Deegor.

I have decided to theme the cabinet on artwork from the Watchmen Series, as I thought that it would look good on the Cabinet.

I might also look at lightning parts of the artwork from the inside (probably the back box clocks)

Cabinet

this will be a standard body cabinet, with sunken playfield, I have ordered the following items (links included - where items purchased new)

Ultimate Cab-Builder's Kit - standard body

Mirror-polished Lockdown Bar

Mirror-polished Side Rails

Williams/Bally Chrome coin door

Blue pincab leg protectors

cab builders button kit

Red, White, Green and Blue Starpoint 44mm Illuminated Arcade Button

White, Red, Yellow and Blue 5v leds

Yellow Launch Ball Button

power switch

Black slotted trunking

Spiral cable wrap - Yellow

Spiral cable wrap - Black

Cable tie mounting pads

drawer runners

Door locks

hinges

Cablesson HDMI Wall Plate Single

molex connectors (pk of 5)

Flange fixing chassis plug, IEC Male

Flange fixing chassis plug, IEC Female

audio connectors

cam lock Dowel (pack of 50)

cam lock 18mm (pack of 50)

4x 1200x650x18MM Plywood Sheet

1x 1200x650x3mm Hardboard Sheet

A4 Transparent Sticky Back Self Adhesive PVC Film 5 sht

This cab will have 10x flashers (probably the lower lumen led's - not crees) and 2x strobes

10x Clear Flasher Cap

5pcs 1W Watt LED Aluminium Heatsink

1pcs 3W High Power RGB Led

5m RGB LED strip

Airflow will be augmented by the following:

2x Silverstone SST-AP181 Air Penetrator 180mm FAN 700/1200rpm(for air inlet at the front underside of the cab)

4x NZXT FS-200 Enthusiast Silent Case Fan - 200mm(for both rear of main box and back box)

3x Akasa AK-191-SM Smoke Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan(for triple radiator)

Cabinet Audio

the pc will soundcard I'm using is the excellent Asus Xonar DX2 7.1

Harmin Kardon Speakers

Asus Xonar Dx2 7.1 Soundcard

Electrics

I'm still finalising the list of parts required for this build. I'm currently working thorough this with one of my friends who is an electrician, so hopefully this shouldn't be too much of a problem, However I'm also undecided on what system to use for nudging, some different ideas and feedback from the community would be helpful here...:hmmmm2:

iPac32 keyboard controller

LEdWiz Controller

Zebulons High Power Booster Boards

PSU 5V 40A

PSU 12V 16.7A

PSU 24V 8.4A

8x Siemens Contactors 3RT10161BB41

Diodes 1N4007 (pk 20)

27ohm 5watt resistors (pk 10)

10x 3.9 ohm 1 watt resistors

5x 6.8 ohm 1 watt resistors

24AWG wire various colours x10 30m rolls

20AWG wire various choice of 11 colours 10m rolls

MS Sidewinder Pro

Screens

I have opted for the Samsung ES6300 40" screen for the main play field and a Samsung T27A300 27 inch Widescreen LED for the back glass.

I have ordered a Vishay Orange from Virtuapin for the DMD

Samsung UE40ES6300 LED 200hz (Play field 1920x1080)

Samsung T27A300 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Backglass 1280x1024)

Vishay Orange 5v LED DMD

PinDMD controller

PC

the PC i'm using is probably a bit overkill for a cabinet, (I7 980X) but it was a spare machine I've had sitting around that is no longer used for gaming. I've had to purchase a couple of items to make it viable as a machine for this purpose (this machine originally had an OCZ IBIS drive, but that is far to temperamental for a machine that needs to run without issues, so it was replaced with an OCZ Agility 4 120GB SSD). this machine is fully Watercooled, so I will be changing the coolant to sunburst yellow which will match the theme of the cabinet artwork, when installed in the cab. I have some ideas about positioning the radiator externally on the underside of the cab, with some form of removable base for the PC and radiator to be installed on.

This machine has a GTX 580 for the mainscreen and a GTX 480 for the back glass.

I have installed Hyperspin, VP IVP has the 4GB patch applied) and FP on a clean windows 7 build using 301.42 WHQL drivers, after many days of figuring things out i have a system up and running with 50 tables :cheers:

using the 301.42 drivers I have no slowdown (or stutter) on any of the tables installed (even Monoploly runs at turbo speed). i still haven't installed UVP yet but can't see that being a problem.

As I have a 6 core system, I have set the luxury of spreading out the processor affinity so that each main program gets its own pair of cores.

currently it is set for the following:

VP and FP to run on cores 4-5,

Hyperspin to run on 2-3

and the rest to run on 0-1. I might have to adjust this later on (i have also disabled Hyperthreading)

I will probably assign a single core to each application when tuning later on (when i get LEDWIZ and UVP playing together)

Motherboard Tray

PC Specs

Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz, Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366)
 (O/C'd to 4.2Ghz)

Asus Rampage III Extreme,X58, S1366, DDR3 Motherboard 

Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

Enermax Galaxy EGX850EWL 850W Modular PSU

Asus GTX 580, 40nm, 4008MHz, GPU 782MHz, 1536MB Graphics Card

EVGA GTX 480, 40nm, 3696MHz, GPU 700MHz, 1536MB Graphics Card

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

Akasa SATA-III 50cm Rounded Data Cable

Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump

HK CPU Backplate LGA 1366

HK CPU LGA1366 Waterblock

EK CoolStream Triple Radiator XT 360 (360mm)

EK-FC580GTX VGA cooler

AquagraFX GTX 480 VGA cooler

6m XSPC HighFlex Hose 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, Clear/UV

2L Mayhems Pastel - Sunset Yellow Coolant cooling fluid

3x Bitspower right angle connectors

4x Bitspower 45 degree connectors

10x Bitspower compression fittings

4x EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 90° G1/4 Black

4x EK-PSC Adapter Rotary 45° G1/4 Black

Artwork

here is the current design that I'm thinking about for the cabinet:

Side

screenshot20120805at191.png

Front

screenshot20120805at191.png

Backbox

screenshot2pi.jpg

A quick Photoshop mockup using Freezy's cab build picture:

artworkc.jpg

Any questions / comments would be most welcome.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed, the black backbox black artwork was not fitting with the colorful side art.

The new backbox art i'm not as keen on, don't personally like the watchmen down the side, breaks it up too much. I would much perfer the who thing as the blue artwork streached out on the side of the head. between these 2 i would stick with the first.

if you really wanted to get the watchmen name on the cab, perhaps ghost it into the cabinet sideart?

just my 2 cents.

I like the new art a lot. That look pays homage to the original comic books.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19633[/ATTACH]

It would be awesome if you could get a picture of Alan Moore playing it when you're all done.

You never know....

I actually met him at an independent local cinema screening of watchmen ( got a signed copy of the graphic novel).

I could ask the cinema if they would pass on a message..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You never know....

I actually met him at an independent local cinema screening of watchmen ( got a signed copy of the graphic novel).

I could ask the cinema if they would pass on a message..

You have a new mission in life.

Anything short of this = failure.

Wow! I love Watchmen! Perfect choice for a pinball theme and you got to meet Alan Moore! I'm not sure how he'd feel about the movie artwork though. From what I've read he's pretty sore about his book been adapted to a movie. I personally think the movie was great. A perfect fit for Zack Snyder's style (let's see if he does a good job on Man of Steel and not screw it up like SuckerPunch).

Man I'd love to have a spare i7 machine like that lying around! It makes me wonder what your current gaming machine specs are.

now what you need is to build a Watchmen table to go with the cabinet. then get Alan to sign the cab. Ca-ching!!!!!

incidently my wife has a signed watchmen book by dave gibbons (the illustrator), apprently he frequented a book store in St Albans UK where we used to work, she was told if she left it there he often comes in and they would get him to sign it. One day they called and she went up there, low and behold one signed book. nice!!

now what you need is to build a Watchmen table to go with the cabinet. then get Alan to sign the cab. Ca-ching!!!!!

incidently my wife has a signed watchmen book by dave gibbons (the illustrator), apprently he frequented a book store in St Albans UK where we used to work, she was told if she left it there he often comes in and they would get him to sign it. One day they called and she went up there, low and behold one signed book. nice!!

Very nice, I live in Hemel Hempstead (5 miles form St. Albans).

Small world sometimes..

Very nice, I live in Hemel Hempstead (5 miles form St. Albans).

Small world sometimes..

haha, cool yeah we lived in kings langley (ovaltine complex) for sometime, watford also till i took a transfer with the company to the head office over here in southfield (outside Detroit).

was in hemel for week just before the olympics on a trip back since we had not been back in 2 years.

What theater did you meet him at? The Rex in berko? Or when he did the London conference?

keep up the good work.

bit of an update...

after extensive testing of the pc (in other words playing lots of pinball on it!!) wasn't happy with the level of heat produced by the Dell monitor for the back glass, so i have just placed an order for a Samsung T27A300 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor, the Dell will go back up in the loft waiting to be used at a later date.

Also my Virtuapin standard body kit and coin door turned up this weekend (after the joy of paying £90 in import Taxes :( )

I will be starting work on the cabinet shortly, just about to order the wood for the job. I'm also looking for a UK supplier of invisiglass or similar for the screens, as i want to minimise reflections on the cab.

also if anyone wants heat sinks for leds let me know, as I slightly over ordered. should have read the seller description on ebay better (they where being sold in packs of five)... so instead of 10 heat sinks , I have 50!!

Archived