Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/DMD - Standard Body

mikekim

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

update

i know its been a while, but i thought it was about time for a status update..

Due to the lovely freezing cold British weather, the cabinet phase of the build was put on hold, as working in freezing cold garages is not really my idea of a good time... however now the weather has picked up I will be hopefully starting up again next week.. :party:

i had not abandoned it totally in this time, i have spent time to update all my VP tables, so they are running the latest versions and all of them have DB2S backglasses installed.. also the PC is setup in my study, so has had a lot of testing in that period....

one minor setback was that the subwoofer died (probably due to high volume pinball playing) so i have purchased a replacement speaker system that i think will look very nice inside the cab.. (it sounds good as well)

harmankardonsoundsticks.jpg

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III

these should look pretty good in the cab when highlighted with coloured LED lighting..

update

shock horror...

I've finally had the time to put in some work on my pinball :party:

installed the top of the backbox that has been sat in my study for what seems an eternity.

finally managed to route out the hole for the DMD and installed it.

installed the chrome coin door and lockdown bar, to see how they would look on the cab.

also test fitted the new speakers and subwoofer on the system..

20130426123859.jpg

the coin door is rebated into the wood, the surround will be hidden by the artwork, with only the main part of the door visible, when completed.

20130426145336.jpg

installed the 8x8 segment display (LEE-128G032B-1), as i like the colours far better than the LEE-128G032-1 version, after a couple of hours playing with it, I don't even notice the gridlines, or the segments that are slightly out of alignment

20130426124106.jpg

20130426124113.jpg

20130426140249.jpg

20130426124314.jpg

even installed the .dll to get Future pinball working as well..

funnily enough, not a lot else was done today... the system was just begging to be played.. :P

Nice work! Love the bling! :)

The segments on the DMD are really evident in the pics...glad to hear that they are not noticeable during play.

Maybe it's just camera distortion, but it almost looks like the wood right above the DMD panel is warped/bowed?

I've purposely avoided making mine playable to this point. I knew my productivity on the project would plummet dramatically if I did. ;) When setting up windows and doing the TV/DMD tests (by playing some tables) early in the project, this became very apparent to me.

Seriously though, your machine is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Nice work! Love the bling! :)

The segments on the DMD are really evident in the pics...glad to hear that they are not noticeable during play.

Maybe it's just camera distortion, but it almost looks like the wood right above the DMD panel is warped/bowed?

I've purposely avoided making mine playable to this point. I knew my productivity on the project would plummet dramatically if I did. ;) When setting up windows and doing the TV/DMD tests (by playing some tables) early in the project, this became very apparent to me.

Seriously though, your machine is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

thanks

for the compliment Scott,

yes the wood is bowed on the bottom of the back box, I was going to replace this today, but spent far too much time playing instead.. hey theres always next week

• 2 weeks later...

update

not much done this weekend.. been spending more time trying to get the MVS cab done..

mounted the Subwoofer, had to bridge the hole slightly as the original sub was bigger than the new one. this was done with some 25cm pine washers (with 16cm cut out)

20130506151202.jpg

holes where then drilled for the feet of the sub to sit in.

20130506151242.jpg

simple really..

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Not much done this weekend, just stripped back the cab and put it back together (with glue and fixing blocks), so everything fits properly. I've also replaced the rear access door for a single panel as its no longer needed.

The base is now ready for some filler, prior to priming for some paint to be applied...

• 4 weeks later...

Awsome, You are a leader and not a follower. Good idea on the DMD and back box . Its the first time for me seeing those. I wanted the same coin door but it was $400 on ebay. The artwork is Super Clean. I cant wait to see it all done.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE..

wow this almost feels like a thread necro, because i haven't posted in this build for so long... sorry about that guys, work went a bit turbo over the summer months.

anyway... enough reminiscing... back to the task in hand..

picked up some new additions to the build..

kkmy.jpg

the new virtuapin plunger and nudge kit.. which i must say works very well, far better than the old unit, so i'm led to believe. no issues with calibration what so ever..

ci0o.jpg

Zeb's excellent virtual output boards and shaker and gear motor.. figured i would get a set of these, as it just saves so much time and effort wiring up all of the internal toys.

have also ordered a sheet of laminated, non reflective glass for the playfield.. that should be here sometime this week, so i should be able to post shots at the weekend with any luck.

the other major step in the build is that i have started with the painting :party:

0cy8.jpg

zok9.jpg

81ga.jpg

i always like to show the problems in that it will hopefully help others... the outer skin of the ply has basically blistered across the middle of the side (due to being left over the winter in a cold garage), so i'm going to have to plane the affected area and apply copious amounts of wood filer to bring the level back up to what it should be.

final shot..

bfhk.jpg

the test fit of the plunger and the launch ball button.. i had to mount them in this order, otherwise the plunger would have fouled the TV screen

Archived