Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Setting up gun games?

AxelTerizaki

Hello there.

Not exactly a cabinet itself but I have a lot of (noob) questions on lightguns for gun games. 

1) I suppose I should setup the WoW ActionMax wheel, since these games are for lightguns, correct?

2) Which lightguns should I use/where to buy? I would like to avoid wiimotes and have a gun instead in my hand even if it's toylike. 

3) How do these work with a LCD screen? Where should I put the lightbar, considering I'm running my Hyperspin Box on a 60" inch screen? Below it?

4) Which emulators support these lightguns? I'd like to have two of them, I suppose MAME does, but what about PCSX2 for PS2 (Time Crisis...) or should I be better playing the arcade versions of Time Crisis via MAME? What about other systems with gun support (Duck Hunt for NES, etc.)

Thanks to anyone who've tried to setup this kind of thing in the past m-_-m

I'm also interested in those questions, especially, do we have to leave some space on the monitor bezel for the lightbar. I am planning an arcade cabinet with a 27 inch monitor, and I want to make sure that I will be able to add light gun support later on.

The preferred guns people use on their builds are aimtraks, the sensor bar fits on top of the screen in the centre. Only 1 sensor is needed for multiple aimtraks. They are compatible with PS1, PS2 (not brilliant), Demul, Mame, Daphne, Wii and PC games, there maybe other systems too but they escape me at the moment.

The aimtraks are basically emulated mice. So any emulator that allows you to use a mouse, will work with an aimtrak.

The only problem is if you want 2 player. You need to use the Troubleshooter app for 2 player with most emulators and native PC games. I don't think that PCSX2 has good support for guns games. I would google it, but it might not be possible, or might be more work than it is worth.

The aimtraks are basically emulated mice. So any emulator that allows you to use a mouse, will work with an aimtrak.

The only problem is if you want 2 player. You need to use the Troubleshooter app for 2 player with most emulators and native PC games. I don't think that PCSX2 has good support for guns games. I would google it, but it might not be possible, or might be more work than it is worth.

I'd say look for TS2, and not the original TS (which is outdated, buggy, has not been supported for years, and whose author seems to have vanished for about the same amount of time).

Just google "Troubleshooter 2" and you'll find it (author is dragonking). Latest TS2 version is 1.2 (I know, it's confusing).

I made a setup tutorial for PC games, available on these boards : http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/1472-house-of-the-dead-3-pc-and-dual-aimtraks-via-troubleshooter2-launcher/page-2#entry119359

• 3 weeks later...

http://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-dual-aimtrak-light-guns-pc-house-dead-1-2-3mame/

This is the guide I was following last night before running out of time (also I couldn't find the mame.ini file)

I had my guns set up last year, changed my version of mame and had problems ever since.  I plan to sort it this weekend, with this guide, if I have the time.

I just can't get mame to play ball at all  :dash1: 

It is so frustrating as I had it working before ages ago.  The gun works fine as I can play Model 2 no problem but fucked if mame wants to see that gun, even after doing what it says in the previous guide I linked.

I wish Andy would open source the Aimtrak software too as it is unbelievably buggy.  If he can't fix it I'm sure someone else could. 

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the aimtraks.

Has a similar sensor bar like the Nintendo wii but smaller/shorter.  With a BT USB dongle, sensor works great with Wii games.

Works on all types of monitors & tvs (If I recall correctly).

Setup and function of lightgun for me have been easy & excellent.

Works in 'mouse mode' or lightgun mode (been using mouse mode for MAME, NES and a bunch others).

Quality is good.

A bit pricey, but well worth it :)

My recessed sensor bar above my monitor:

post-17665-0-24958300-1433412802_thumb.jpg

+1 on Aimtrak.  The recoil kit is great as well.  A bit tricky on calibration for me at times but they're awesome.

You can actually set a main "Gun Games" wheel and point to alternate emulators for non-mame games.  There's a module here with all of those alt emulators and light gun titles preconfigured.  It's really handy for quick access to gun games and even includes Nintendo VS cabinet Duck Hunt etc.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to connorsdad...

I wrote this on another thread after tons of problems with ts1/ts2.

"I learned yesterday from Sevenseal (IT guru) that the original troubleshooter program that so many people have recommended is a VERY bad program to run on a windows 8 or 8.1 pc. He said that it actually causes permanent damage to the OS that cannot be repaired. I didn't know this and I installed it on my new cabinet rig running win 8.1. Lately I've been having many weird intermittent buggy problems with my pc and now I'm thinking that this may be at least partially to blame. I'm very upset that with all of these tutorials and guides I have read and watched that nobody has mentioned NOT to install troubleshooter 1 on a windows 8 OS. This is awful..."

To be honest, I remember reading that these programs were not recommended for win7 or newer but now I can't find the info.

I spent many hours trying to configure 2 aimtrak's (and 2 ultra360's) to work with my cab and had to eventually walk away from it in frustration. I could get one gun to work as long as I never plugged or unplugged any usb devices to the PC. Once I tried plugging in a new usb device (Xbox controller dongle for example) then I couldn't use the gun anymore. The IDs would change on their own. 2 guns NEVER worked right. Troubleshooter was causing strange problems with many programs like hyperspin and mame for example. Problems that didn't make sense. To make matters even worse I had a huge problem trying to uninstall troubleshooter. It was like a virus that got in and wouldn't go away. To this day, when I view my task manager the original troubleshooter is still listed even though it's not running and I've removed every possible troubleshooter file that I can locate.

Once I completely stopped using troubleshooter and ts2 the weird intermittent problems ceased completely.

I also removed the u360's and went purely digital on all joysticks. HUGE improvement but that belongs in another thread :).

I plan on eventually trying the guns again when I feel like banging my head against a wall. I bought a dolphin bar that I haven't even tried yet. I love the gun games but I want 2 to work!

Have any of you been successful in installing and CONSISTENTLY using 2 aimtraks with mame, model 2, and PC games? Do u leave them plugged in all the time?

Sorry for the long post.

Junky

I don't do pc games. I use win7 because of all the research I did it was more compatible with stuff. Make sure your guns are in their own usb header. Mine are in the front usb. Then plug everything else into another usb header eliminates frustration. Also I could not get 2 guns working with Jumpstile builds of mame so use a different build without probs. I also have duck hunt rocking with nestopia and a aimtrack. Model2 works fine as well on win 7 with ts2. Good luck.

In response to connorsdad...

I wrote this on another thread after tons of problems with ts1/ts2.

"I learned yesterday from Sevenseal (IT guru) that the original troubleshooter program that so many people have recommended is a VERY bad program to run on a windows 8 or 8.1 pc. He said that it actually causes permanent damage to the OS that cannot be repaired. I didn't know this and I installed it on my new cabinet rig running win 8.1. Lately I've been having many weird intermittent buggy problems with my pc and now I'm thinking that this may be at least partially to blame. I'm very upset that with all of these tutorials and guides I have read and watched that nobody has mentioned NOT to install troubleshooter 1 on a windows 8 OS. This is awful..."

To be honest, I remember reading that these programs were not recommended for win7 or newer but now I can't find the info.

I spent many hours trying to configure 2 aimtrak's (and 2 ultra360's) to work with my cab and had to eventually walk away from it in frustration. I could get one gun to work as long as I never plugged or unplugged any usb devices to the PC. Once I tried plugging in a new usb device (Xbox controller dongle for example) then I couldn't use the gun anymore. The IDs would change on their own. 2 guns NEVER worked right. Troubleshooter was causing strange problems with many programs like hyperspin and mame for example. Problems that didn't make sense. To make matters even worse I had a huge problem trying to uninstall troubleshooter. It was like a virus that got in and wouldn't go away. To this day, when I view my task manager the original troubleshooter is still listed even though it's not running and I've removed every possible troubleshooter file that I can locate.

Once I completely stopped using troubleshooter and ts2 the weird intermittent problems ceased completely.

I also removed the u360's and went purely digital on all joysticks. HUGE improvement but that belongs in another thread :).

I plan on eventually trying the guns again when I feel like banging my head against a wall. I bought a dolphin bar that I haven't even tried yet. I love the gun games but I want 2 to work!

Have any of you been successful in installing and CONSISTENTLY using 2 aimtraks with mame, model 2, and PC games? Do u leave them plugged in all the time?

Sorry for the long post.

Junky

That's the trick, you need to leave all devices plugged in at all times. As you say, if you unplug a usb the id will change and you will be forever chasing your tail.

Leave them plugged in, configure ts1 and ts2 and you'll be fine.

Archived