Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Can anybody help?! The dream is dying

mistertoronto

Hey guys,

Im building an arcade cabinet, which is about 90% complete, minus the computer/hyperspin/emulators/roms. Im very handy when it comes to building stuff but i am completely computer illiterate! ive been reading on this forum that people are very against people selling "plug and play" hard drives, which i now completely understand why.

You guys put in alot of hard work to have someone steal it and turn around and make a profit off your sweat, not cool!

My problem is though that i dont have the brains, nor the time(2 kids) to figure all of this from scratch. So to a guy like me, paying someone for a drive thats pre loaded with a frontend, emulators and roms is my only option before giving up on this dream of a stand up arcade forever!

I get that if something went wrong i would be screwed bit all i ever plan to do is turn my cpu on and off to play with my kids, not tweak anything ever!

Please help me, i dont know what to do!

Thanks

If you do it you will be on your own here.....make a backup of the drive. when something goes wrong....and it .....will you will have a back up. In the meantime after the kids go to bed....study Simply Austins vids on youtube so at least you understand what went wrong and where to look for it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hehe you can buy a drive no problem at all. Don't know other people's views about it, but I loose no money so it's no skin off my nose.

In fact I encourage you to buy one with the item description of it including exactly what it says it does. Including many cracked versions of many games.

Then all you need to do is copy the drive and then report it to PayPal or your credit card company for your purchase of counterfeit goods. Then you have the dated art, badly named Roms for you to at least start with for free hehe. You have 30 days for a full refund.

But in all honesty, I am yet to find a hyoerspin build more advanced than 2013. One that is actually plug and play or even close.

Play them at their own game, buy it, copy if you think it worth it and then send them back with it being reported to PayPal and credit services for counterfeit use.  

Hehe I know I wouldn't want to be known as the guy who sells dodgy drives, I think my family would disown me ;)

Thanks, is there anybody that you guys recommend buying a drive from? Or is it just pretty much a risk

Nah, you don't have to buy anything, if you have the content (games) and setup Retroarch (which is easy and you'll find all instructions here in the forums) you'll be able to run from Atari to PS1 in one time. Enjoy the jorney, learn new stuff, don't go to the destination right away or you'll probably miss the most important parts of it all.

Hey guys,

Im building an arcade cabinet, which is about 90% complete, minus the computer/hyperspin/emulators/roms. Im very handy when it comes to building stuff but i am completely computer illiterate! ive been reading on this forum that people are very against people selling "plug and play" hard drives, which i now completely understand why.

You guys put in alot of hard work to have someone steal it and turn around and make a profit off your sweat, not cool!

My problem is though that i dont have the brains, nor the time(2 kids) to figure all of this from scratch. So to a guy like me, paying someone for a drive thats pre loaded with a frontend, emulators and roms is my only option before giving up on this dream of a stand up arcade forever!

I get that if something went wrong i would be screwed bit all i ever plan to do is turn my cpu on and off to play with my kids, not tweak anything ever!

Please help me, i dont know what to do!

Thanks

The problem isn't about anyone profiting off of it.

The biggest problem is that you will get the drive, but have no idea how to make it all work,

what the controls are

what programs it is running

How they interact

what emulators you have

how out of date those are

what roms sets do you need to use

how do you even update it

how do you make it work with your cab controls

now how do you do it for all the other emulators

how do you add all the games you realize are missing or don't work

what is conflicting and making it crash

None of it will match your vision for your machine because you didn't get to customize it

on and on and on and on...

To make it worse is when you have those problem (which most likely will be within 15 minutes of plugging it in) none of us here will be able to help you because we won't have any idea of any of that stuff either. You will basically have to reverse engineer many issues and start from scratch anyway.

I started by buying a drive simply because I didn't want to have to learn it all or waste my time doing it. So I did. Turned out that making the pre-built drive work the way I wanted would be far, far harder than simply starting from scratch. So I did and the process was actually far quicker and less frustrating than trying to untangle the pre-built, out of date, poorly thought out drive I ordered.

Don't do it.

Isnt there a presetup 50 system hyperspin setup just add your games in the downloads section? Gigapig has been hard at work on that and would recommend checking that out for starters imho...good luck!

I was just gonna suggest this. Just download gigapig's full build. I think you do need a platinum membership to access the download though.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/10917-hs-build-hyperspin-14-50-systems/

The problem isn't about anyone profiting off of it.

The biggest problem is that you will get the drive, but have no idea how to make it all work,

what the controls are

what programs it is running

How they interact

what emulators you have

how out of date those are

what roms sets do you need to use

how do you even update it

how do you make it work with your cab controls

now how do you do it for all the other emulators

how do you add all the games you realize are missing or don't work

what is conflicting and making it crash

None of it will match your vision for your machine because you didn't get to customize it

on and on and on and on...

To make it worse is when you have those problem (which most likely will be within 15 minutes of plugging it in) none of us here will be able to help you because we won't have any idea of any of that stuff either. You will basically have to reverse engineer many issues and start from scratch anyway.

I started by buying a drive simply because I didn't want to have to learn it all or waste my time doing it. So I did. Turned out that making the pre-built drive work the way I wanted would be far, far harder than simply starting from scratch. So I did and the process was actually far quicker and less frustrating than trying to untangle the pre-built, out of date, poorly thought out drive I ordered.

Don't do it.

This is SO true. Trying to reverse engineer a pre-built system is much more confusing and time intensive than biting the bullet and building from the ground up.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is much appreciated. I understand that it will not be my vision but to be honest, its just for me and my boys to play. It doesnt have to be anything past n64. Like i said i wouldnt tweak it in any way. But to be honest, the frontend is just one thing. I wouldnt even know where to begin looking for emulators, knowing which ones are good, downloading updated roms... I guess im completely out of my element. I wish i had the time to figure it all out but between work and family i barely sleep. So i guess i would need a complete package with frontend, emulators and roms... Thanks for the replys anyways guys

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is much appreciated. I understand that it will not be my vision but to be honest, its just for me and my boys to play. It doesnt have to be anything past n64. Like i said i wouldnt tweak it in any way. But to be honest, the frontend is just one thing. I wouldnt even know where to begin looking for emulators, knowing which ones are good, downloading updated roms... I guess im completely out of my element. I wish i had the time to figure it all out but between work and family i barely sleep. So i guess i would need a complete package with frontend, emulators and roms... Thanks for the replys anyways guys

That's what I said

Retroarch + Games, you'll be able to run all this in no time, the configurations are minimal for that to work the way they should, and if you use an Xbox 360 gamepad, not even controls configuration will be needed.

Like i said i wouldnt tweak it in any way.

That's just it, you'll most likely need to tweak it a lot to get it working with your cabinet right from the start.

Like the others said above, that link will give you a pre-configured setup that is better and more up to date than any drive you'll probably find. All you would need to do would be to add the roms.

Either way good luck.

I think you first need to figure out what you want to play, and what type of controller you want to use. Complete SD-card images can be found for the Pi2 for instance; it will not use HyperSpin or support the latest systems, but it's a very cheap and fast way to get a gaming setup.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can do this...If you buy a drive, you will be on your own, and probably disappointed when you find is doesn't work as planned. There is plenty of help here and Simply Austins vids are nice (whish he had them when I built my HS system). Giga Pig has been quite helpful also. I would recommend starting with the Mame setup mentioned earlier to get an idea of what you will experience. Just be patient, and you will enjoy the final product.

I will have to agree that Installing one yourself is very fulfilling. I am very new but after the turtorials from austin installed the first 10 systems in less than two days, It did take some head scratching and lots and lots of reading but as far as playability goes most errors i can troubleshoot and fix myself now. There is alot of terminalogy that is intimidating but as time goes on it starts making a little sense.

Archived