Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Can't launch retroarch per core configs Nvidia Shield tv

thatman84

Hi anyone confirm how to setup hyperspin to launch different .cfg files per core with retroarch?

I have Nvidia shield TVs marshmallow

Retroarch play store version

Just working with Nestopia and picodrive cores to start with.

I can launch games, change overlay and input configs but it's all global for both cores.

Tried per core config option, changing config file directory, save current and save new but still any change affects both cores when I reload the game from hyperspin.

Anyone have a solution I have spent hours on this?

Thanks badhemi there is some good info there,

Thanks Reznate I did pick that up from some of your other posts.

Late last night I did find a possible solution but I need to test it further as I think it is doing a per core config which stops my default retroarch.cfg settings like escape hotkey being used so I would then have to redo them for every core I setup.

I will look and see if there is an override directory that may help.

The link I used while looking into arc browser as a frontend

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885475/getting-controller-to-work-in-retroarch-when-launching-from-a-frontend-arc-browser-/

Basically you create a config folder in the android/com.retroarch/files folder

Open retroarch (direct app)

Change the config directory to the above folder under settings/directory option in retroarch Interface

Save and exit

(Do the same thing in the hyperspin launched retroarch, you can close core to stop confusion)

Open retroarch app again and load the core (nestopia)

Change any settings

Save NEW config

The config file will save to the created folder as nestopia_libretro etc

Create a new folder within the config folder named neatopia

Rename the netopia_libretro.cfg to just nestopia.cfg

I done the same for a sega Genesis game with picodrive core.

To test

I set Nestopia to have buttons overlay onscreen

I set picodrive to not show overlay

My hyperspin retroarch.cfg is set not to have overlay and before the process above Genesis games and Nes games had no overlays. If I change it after launching games from either system it would change both systems as retroarch.cfg was being used and is global.

Now if I load a Nes game in hyperspin it has overlays and if I load a Genesis game it doesn't.

I will update if I can find a better way and if I can get the hotkey settings in my retroarch.cfg file to stay global.

As I say I think this is how the config per core option works as I remember testing it and the folders where created automatically by retroarch. I will check this also.

Just set your hot keys and BIOS folder etc, and then turn on per core settings or turn off per core settings, set your hot keys exit RetroArch and then load it again and turn them back on.

• 7 months later...
On 3/29/2016 at 5:47 AM, thatman84 said:

Thanks badhemi there is some good info there,

Thanks Reznate I did pick that up from some of your other posts.

Late last night I did find a possible solution but I need to test it further as I think it is doing a per core config which stops my default retroarch.cfg settings like escape hotkey being used so I would then have to redo them for every core I setup.

I will look and see if there is an override directory that may help.

The link I used while looking into arc browser as a frontend

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885475/getting-controller-to-work-in-retroarch-when-launching-from-a-frontend-arc-browser-/

Basically you create a config folder in the android/com.retroarch/files folder

Open retroarch (direct app)

Change the config directory to the above folder under settings/directory option in retroarch Interface

Save and exit

(Do the same thing in the hyperspin launched retroarch, you can close core to stop confusion)

Open retroarch app again and load the core (nestopia)

Change any settings

Save NEW config

The config file will save to the created folder as nestopia_libretro etc

Create a new folder within the config folder named neatopia

Rename the netopia_libretro.cfg to just nestopia.cfg

I done the same for a sega Genesis game with picodrive core.

To test

I set Nestopia to have buttons overlay onscreen

I set picodrive to not show overlay

My hyperspin retroarch.cfg is set not to have overlay and before the process above Genesis games and Nes games had no overlays. If I change it after launching games from either system it would change both systems as retroarch.cfg was being used and is global.

Now if I load a Nes game in hyperspin it has overlays and if I load a Genesis game it doesn't.

I will update if I can find a better way and if I can get the hotkey settings in my retroarch.cfg file to stay global.

As I say I think this is how the config per core option works as I remember testing it and the folders where created automatically by retroarch. I will check this also.

Is this still possible with the current version of retroarch ? ....sorry for replying to an old post but no matter what I try my config is global only....even if I change the config directory from hyperspin, it still gets saved to the default location of data/data/etc .....when I try to go to that location es file Explorer says there's nothing there as if it won't let me alter that location 

what version are you using?

nightlies are 1.3.7 last time i checked. They now use ther Overrides system instead of per core configs. I have not bothered to swap over to Overrides but I dont think they are to bad to figure out. Maybe when you change the directory you need to go find an option that states Save override. Make sure you quit retroarch from the menu not hotkeys and maybe try resuming the game for a few seconds to make the change stick

Ok...I'll try .....I was on to something...lolz....my gameboy loads an overlay and like u said at the bottom it said override config....now when I launch game gear I tried 2 put a gg overlay but it didn't stick....so I'm on the right track...lmao...next task is also 2 figure out openbor as I've never seen an example ini file for it...lolz....the pc is sooooooooooooo much easier as I can set up any system just by reading modules..even the hard ones were easy for me...smh

ok so I gave up on reading all of this cuz its a lot and figured I would chime in to help.

FIRST if you can I would root this will make a lot of this process SO MUCH easier.

Next if you are on the stable build YES per core configs work.  If you are on the Nightly Builds then you need to use the Overrides instead.  REGARDLESS of which route you go YOU SHOULD NOT BE MAKING CUSTOM FOLDERS. IN A LOT OF CASES THEY WILL NOT WORK, and its just not necessary.

Finally let me add that supposedly you can add the per core setting back into the config file manually to make it work in the nightly build but again this will require root.

Stable Build Instructions -

• Install retroarch and download all the cores and update all the other files you need
  • Launch hyperspin and launch a game (this is assuming you have all your settings correctly for your roms / system) I would start with something simple like atari
  • Exit the game and exit hyperspin
  • Go into retroarch, go into settings and do the hyperspin config trick
  • Now go load the hyperspin retroarch config file
  • Go into settings and set it to load per core config files and then go back and hit save current config... not save new config, save current config
  • Now go and change any settings that will be the same for any core... so for me I get rid of the overlay, control presses for exit / accessing retroarch menu, I like everything stretched to 16x9, Player 1 is the first controller, and player 2 is the second controller, and so forth
  • Now go back to hyperspin and as you load each core it will create the core cfg files.  The settings you already set in the main config will automatically come over.  Then you can go into retroarch menu after launching each core and set specific settings for each one and they will all save. (controls, shaders, and so forth)

Nightly Build Instructions -

ROOT FIRST I can't stress this enough... if you don't root first then you are dealing with all the bull crap written up above making custom folders YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS IF YOU ROOT Retroarch will do it all for you!

• After root install stable build first and follow the steps up above.  Get all your games running the way you want FIRST
  • Next back up all your per core config files. You will need a file browser with root access
  • Next install a nightly build over your stable build
  • Go into retroarch and load the hyperspin retroarch config file
  • Now go into the settings again and there will be no setting any longer for your per core configs.  So instead now select to use override files again go click save current config to be sure it saves
  • Go into hyperspin and load a game from each system this time go into the retroarch menu when each game loads and at the main menu select create over ride file.
  • WHEN YOU DO THIS THE CORRECT FOLDER IS CREATED BASED OFF THE CORE NAME WITH THE CORRECTLY NAMED OVERRIDE FILE if you try to make these folders yourself inside the root folders retroarch will not be able to access the files inside.  Linux / Android file permissions are absolutely MISERABLE
  • Now go back to your file browser and each of those folders will be in your config folder
  • replace each override file with your back up copy of that systems per core config file.  You have to rename them to be exactly the same as the override file
  • Now retroarch will treat those per core config files as the override files and everything will work as it did on the stable build

47 minutes ago, epayson85 said:

ok so I gave up on reading all of this cuz its a lot and figured I would chime in to help.

FIRST if you can I would root this will make a lot of this process SO MUCH easier.

Next if you are on the stable build YES per core configs work.  If you are on the Nightly Builds then you need to use the Overrides instead.  REGARDLESS of which route you go YOU SHOULD NOT BE MAKING CUSTOM FOLDERS. IN A LOT OF CASES THEY WILL NOT WORK, and its just not necessary.

Finally let me add that supposedly you can add the per core setting back into the config file manually to make it work in the nightly build but again this will require root.

• Install retroarch and download all the cores and update all the other files you need
  • Launch hyperspin and launch a game (this is assuming you have all your settings correctly for your roms / system) I would start with something simple like atari
  • Go into settings and set it to load per core config files and then go back and hit save current config... not save new config, save current config
  • Now go and change any settings that will be the same for any core... so for me I get rid of the overlay, control presses for exit / accessing retroarch menu, I like everything stretched to 16x9, Player 1 is the first controller, and player 2 is the second controller, and so forth
  • Now go back to hyperspin and as you load each core it will create the core cfg files.  The settings you already set in the main config will automatically come over.  Then you can go into retroarch menu after launching each core and set specific settings for each one and they will all save. (controls, shaders, and so forth)

ROOT FIRST I can't stress this enough... if you don't root first then you are dealing with all the bull crap written up above making custom folders YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS IF YOU ROOT Retroarch will do it all for you!

• After root install stable build first and follow the steps up above.  Get all your games running the way you want FIRST
  • Next back up all your per core config files. You will need a file browser with root access
  • Now go into the settings again and there will be no setting any longer for your per core configs.  So instead now select to use override files again go click save current config to be sure it saves
  • Go into hyperspin and load a game from each system this time go into the retroarch menu when each game loads and at the main menu select create over ride file.
  • WHEN YOU DO THIS THE CORRECT FOLDER IS CREATED BASED OFF THE CORE NAME WITH THE CORRECTLY NAMED OVERRIDE FILE if you try to make these folders yourself inside the root folders retroarch will not be able to access the files inside.  Linux / Android file permissions are absolutely MISERABLE
  • Now go back to your file browser and each of those folders will be in your config folder
  • replace each override file with your back up copy of that systems per core config file.  You have to rename them to be exactly the same as the override file
  • Now retroarch will treat those per core config files as the override files and everything will work as it did on the stable build

This is some good advice @epayson85

i have only scanned it because about to grab dinner. We should collaborate on a tutorial for the site.

the pitfalls are people don't read this before they have launched everything!! And there is no need to create folders unless you want to use overrides with the stable build. Root is great but if you don't want to most can be sorted by just changing your Hyperspin retroarch.cfg directories to point at the same folders as normal retroarch. No access to the core-options.cfg but that's not so bad

I want 2 say thanks for those who have helped me get sorted on android especially with openbor ...I have aquestion though.   is there like an updated list or spreadsheet of launch commands and or parameters for android emulators and apps?...badhemi was nice enough to send me a copy of his openbor ini as I really couldn't find anything online about this emulator ? ...or if anyone would be kind enough to put a link to their settings folder for only a day or two so I and any other newbies to android can download

8 hours ago, thatman84 said:

This is some good advice @epayson85

i have only scanned it because about to grab dinner. We should collaborate on a tutorial for the site.

the pitfalls are people don't read this before they have launched everything!! And there is no need to create folders unless you want to use overrides with the stable build. Root is great but if you don't want to most can be sorted by just changing your Hyperspin retroarch.cfg directories to point at the same folders as normal retroarch. No access to the core-options.cfg but that's not so bad

Would love to collaborate on a tutorial. I actually have another shield in my possession so I could provide pics / more in-depth instructions.  This is the third shield TV I have setup as a gift so I'm getting pretty good at it haha. Let me know what you would like from me, I would be happy to help.

12 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

I want 2 say thanks for those who have helped me get sorted on android especially with openbor ...I have aquestion though.   is there like an updated list or spreadsheet of launch commands and or parameters for android emulators and apps?...badhemi was nice enough to send me a copy of his openbor ini as I really couldn't find anything online about this emulator ? ...or if anyone would be kind enough to put a link to their settings folder for only a day or two so I and any other newbies to android can download

Badhemi's settings are the best I have seen offered up. I took those and made a uniformed set. They are here

I can't find badhemi's originals ATM, they are in the Settings file Tutorial thread I done I think. (It takes ages to do links in posts on my phone!!)

On Monday, November 07, 2016 at 0:10 PM, epayson85 said:

I followed the instructions for the stable build and got the config files to save in the sdcard config folder. Also got different shaders to save to different cores that I set it to but for some reason I can't set any controls. Each time I remap buttons (through Retroarch and not through Hyperspin), the moment I exit and re enter Retroarch and reload core/game that I mapped buttons to it automatically goes back to the default mapping. Is there another trick I need to do to make my remappings stick? I'm using an official ps3 sixaxis controller if that counts for anything.

Edit: I noticed I had auto remap off in the config. All is good.

• 4 months later...

Archived