Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Best OS for HyperSpin

THK

Which is the BEST OS for HyperSpin?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the BEST OS for HyperSpin?

• Windows 8.1 x64
    • Windows 7 x64
    • Windows 7 x86
    • Windows XP x64
    • Windows XP x86
    • I want Linux!
    • OSX?
    • Just give me SteamOS already!

Yeah, I voted what I know. Win7 x64, my experience with Win8 so far has been horrid, even with start8.

Now I must admit that whenever they make Metro entirely optional, or at least I can manage without coming across it, I'll probably give it a prolonged run and/or make the move over. But Win7 is a great OS so far, as far as windows or any OS can be good.

Also, (way) back when I was regularly fired up HS to play some games I still used XP x64. And with all the bad things I've heard about it, I can't remember it letting me down. I guess I was one of the lucky few :)

Edited by THK

My preference is the same in using Windows 7 x64 because it seems to be the "new" xp, in terms of bugs worked out and compatibility throughout all of the emulation aspects. Haven't had the opportunity to actually emulate some games on the Windows 8 os but I read somewhere that a couple emulators do get a speedup and that seems pretty worth a shot to me if I my core group of emulators runs.

I plan on giving it a go @ tax time :)

There's two things I consider. Will this be emulation only or will I use it for emulation and as a regular computer. I do the latter one. I've been using Windows 8 since the beta and now 8.1, I have to say I like it better then Windows 7. I have it all setup to start straight to desktop, and it runs awesome. I will never go backwards again.

The benefits of speed and compatibility out way the negatives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Win95 was loved by many. Win96 you probably never heard of. Win98 was solid. WinMe was a dog. Win2K was NT based and freaked out many people because no one knew about NT. WinXP came to the rescue. WinVista was a dog. Win7 is a solid OS. Win8.1 will become the WinXP of this era and 8.0 would have been better accepted if it wasn't for that gay ass Metro interface. :D

Note: For those of you voting XP you need to read the subject of the poll. Is says "for Hyperspin", not for you.

I use XP64 for my CRT cabinet (voted win 8.1 x64) and love it, but getting HyperSpin apps to work on XP has been a major issue for some of the developers. I would not count on it being supported in the future.

• 1 month later...

I was going to go with 8.1 x64 on my new Hyperspin build. I am using my older desktop which is a Intel Q9550 processor but 8.1 install stopped a few minutes into it and told me my processor didn't support some function required by 8.1. So would I be better off with Win7 x64 or XP x64? The PC also has an Arcade VGA 3000 connected to a Jpac. Its going to be running on a 25" WG Arcade monitor. A little bit of reading I saw that Win7 has some issues with some resolutions but a lot of those posts were older. So what is the consensus these days? I do plan to run some newer PC games on it also like Ultra SF4 and MK9.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on an Intel board with a core i7 4770k processor and have zero issues with HyperSpin, HyperLaunch or any of my 27 emulators.... They all run great! I did have some issues initially configuring them but I am not sure if I can attribute that to the PC or to my impatience when it comes to setting things up. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doing a new PC build (first one) and have been testing/learning emu and HS setup on my current laptop (4 year old running windows 7 32 bit).

Question - Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8.1 x64? ... Will be running: nestopia, zsnes, project 64, VBA-m, MAME (all I've setup so far) and likely add Dolphin, PCSX2, epsxe (or other PS1 emu). Probably would add emus for Atari 2600 (etc) and maybe Sega cartridge based (not sure if MESS suits Atari and Sega carts, haven't read into as low priority).

I would like to go 8.1 but haven't tested anything on this. If anyone running 8 or 8.1 can assure me my systems listed run ok I will go 8.1 (expect new hardware to perform better and would have to upgrade 7 at some point anyway). Cheers

EDIT 24/04/14 10pm - SOLVED, found in the FAQs for both Dolphin and PCSX2 recommend Windows 7 x64. Given I have already setup and tested my other systems I want to run (on W7 32 bit) this seems the safe choice. Can always upgrade to W8 later if justified.

Edited by needles