Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Atari 2600-5200-7800 Which is the best Emulator

Sir Cyrano

• 2 months later...

I tried a few games with prosystem. Among them were Double Dragon and Basketbrawl. None of them worked. Are they not compatible? Is that still the best emulator out there? Should I use an alternate emulator for those? I don't Think it's a very good sign that about 50% of the games I tried won't run. Any help on this would be appreciated.

• 9 months later...

Atari 2600 - Retroarch (with Stella Core)

Atari 5200 - Atari800. I could not get the bezel to work with Kat5200. Atari800 runs everything perfectly fine. Haven't found any issues yet.

Atari 7800 - Retroarch (using the Prosystem core) and Mess. Retroarch has problems with some games so I have Mess setup as an alternate emulator. I'm running Mess 0.151 which is really old. I've heard the new Mess 0.157 has very good 7800 emulation but I haven't tried yet. If true I'll replace Retroarch with Mess. Will try it this weekend.

Atari 5200 - Atari800. I could not get the bezel to work with Kat5200. Atari800 runs everything perfectly fine. Haven't found any issues yet.

Atari 7800 - Retroarch (using the Prosystem core) and Mess. Retroarch has problems with some games so I have Mess setup as an alternate emulator. I'm running Mess 0.151 which is really old. I've heard the new Mess 0.157 has very good 7800 emulation but I haven't tried yet. If true I'll replace Retroarch with Mess. Will try it this weekend.

regardin 5200

thanks

weird..i tried 800 and had several games not work (didnt note which ones sorry..)

so i switched back to MESS as main and KAT for alt emulator

had to mess with kat bezel setting in module a little bit

now to check all controls.....

regardin 5200

thanks

weird..i tried 800 and had several games not work (didnt note which ones sorry..)

so i switched back to MESS as main and KAT for alt emulator

had to mess with kat bezel setting in module a little bit

now to check all controls.....

Do you think you can post your setup for the Atari 5200 and your KAT bezel and module? This is one system that has been giving me headaches. You are right about the 800. I started trying out all the games and there are quite a few that don't run.

sure. but to be clear the bezel "works" but the bezel shows the titlebar still

i think i could get rid of that as well but working on something else right now

let me know if u still want it? see pic below. its ok if u dont....no biggie :) :) :)

i know that the module normally does that but in order to center it i tweaked it to not do that

make sense? dont want any of the PURISTS (lol) to get mad at my doing things my own weird way...

:) :) :) :)

2015-01-15_19-18-09_zps4951104b.png

hold on

fixed the title bar as well

2015-01-15_21-46-38_zps95f6a8c1.png

MEmu = Kat5200
MEmuV =  v0.6.2
MURL = http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/
MAuthor = djvj
MVersion = 2.0.1
MCRC = 3FDEE537
MID = 635038268901251702
MSystem = "Atari 5200"
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Notes:
; In you emu dir, create a subdir named bios and place the 5200.rom there extracted.
; When you first start kat5200, you will be presented with a Wizard. Set the bios folder you created as your "Atari 8-bit ; Image Directory" and leave Scan for BIOS? checked.
; While in the wizard, check the Fullscreen box to enable it and set Video Zoom to 2x.
; CLI is supported but doesn't seem to work. So for now, set your video options from the GUI.
; Settings are stored in the kat5200.db3 file.
; Roms must be extracted, zip is not supported
StartModule()
BezelGUI()
FadeInStart()
7z(romPath, romName, romExtension, 7zExtractPath)

If romExtension in %7zFormats%
ScriptError("Kat5200 only supports extracted roms. Please extract your roms or turn on 7z for this system as the emu is being sent this extension: """ . romExtension . """")

settingsFile := modulePath . "\" . moduleName . ".ini"
Fullscreen := IniReadCheck(settingsFile, "Settings", "Fullscreen","true",,1)
[b][color="#FF0000"]disableHideTitleBar := true
disableHideToggleMenu := true
disableHideBorder := true
BezelStart("fixResMode")[/color][/b]

Run(executable . " """ . romPath . "\" . romName . romExtension . """", emuPath)

WinActivate, ahk_class ConsoleWindowClass
WinMinimize, ahk_class ConsoleWindowClass

WinActivate, kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app
WinWait("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")
WinWaitActive("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")
WinActivate, kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app

BezelDraw()
FadeInExit()
Process("WaitClose", executable)
7zCleanUp()
BezelExit()
FadeOutExit()
ExitModule()

CloseProcess:
FadeOutStart()
WinClose("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")
Return

(the bezel png and ini are one of grizz's)

bezel png and ini.zip

• 4 months later...

It seems like only a few lines of code (just 3) is needed to enable the bezel and hiding the title bar. The following code provided by @craig is not necessary. In fact, enabling them will still show the title bar.

disableHideTitleBar := true
disableHideToggleMenu := true
disableHideBorder := true
BezelStart("fixResMode")

Here is the config that I've modified. Tested on HyperSpin 1.3.x

MEmu = Kat5200
MEmuV =  v0.6.2
MURL = http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/
MAuthor = djvj
MVersion = 2.0.1
MCRC = 3FDEE537
MID = 635038268901251702
MSystem = "Atari 5200"
; Notes:
; In you emu dir, create a subdir named bios and place the 5200.rom there extracted.
; When you first start kat5200, you will be presented with a Wizard. Set the bios folder you created as your "Atari 8-bit Image Directory" and leave Scan for BIOS? checked.
; While in the wizard, check the Fullscreen box to enable it and set Video Zoom to 2x.
; CLI is supported but doesn't seem to work. So for now, set your video options from the GUI.
; Settings are stored in the kat5200.db3 file.
; Roms must be extracted, zip is not supported
StartModule()
BezelGUI()
FadeInStart()
7z(romPath, romName, romExtension, 7zExtractPath)

If romExtension in %7zFormats%
    ScriptError("Kat5200 only supports extracted roms. Please extract your roms or turn on 7z for this system as the emu is being sent this extension: """ . romExtension . """")

BezelStart("fixResMode")
Run(executable . " """ . romPath . "\" . romName . romExtension . """", emuPath)

WinWait("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")
WinWaitActive("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")

BezelDraw()
FadeInExit()
Process("WaitClose", executable)
7zCleanUp()
FadeOutExit()
ExitModule()

CloseProcess:
    FadeOutStart()
    WinClose("kat5200 ahk_class SDL_app")
Return

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Which 7800 games do you use MESS for?

• 3 years later...

I have one question for the readers who are still reading this old post. Is it possible to use the same emulators from Atari 7800 Emulators to play the games of Atari 5200 and 2600? I had boring with 7800 games and I want to switch to another console so do I need to delete the emulator?

Archived