Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mini-Pin X Build

njay

Guest gstav

It´s not the voltage really but the ampere drawn from the LEDwiz that is to worry about.

500mA for one output is stated to be max, but with less activity to the other outputs it may put up with a bit more.

Think the knocker coil draws much more than 500mA, so you have to protect your LEDwiz with a relay even if you want to give the knocker 12V.

Have not measured the ampere though, but I trust Chris on this as he have done the same! :D

Here´s a simple diagram for the 12V:

knocker_12v.jpg?t=1300178912

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gstav

I´m not an expert on what type could be used but that relay seems to have the same spec needed! Maybe Chris could chip in on this just to be sure! :D

You DO need a diode as allways when coils and motors are in the equation.

But if you have the 23-800 there´s one diode there all ready.

Here´s a better pic of it!

IMG_4645.jpg?t=1300197286

• 2 months later...

Yep thats the same type of knocker i bought.

http://www.pinballheaven.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=899&osCsid=a50e169c22d96282f22bfc58a146bd1d

Mount the same as your holding it, but i fixed an L bracket above it then glued some wood onto the bracket (it didnt sound right hitting the metal bracket directly)

Works great but i reckon you might want more than 12v.

I feel mine needs a little more thwack to make it sound authentic (our at least as authentic as i remember them), ill get around to upping it to 24v at some point.

you can get a small 24v psu of ebay for very little, but you will need a 24v finder relay and not the 12v one. You might wanna look into that if you havnt got the 12v finder yet.

looking great njay!

awesome, where did you buy that knocker?

here is the link chriz

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=708&parent=136

@ Hicks

Thanks for the tip maybe someday i will do it but it's a mini cabinet and the wack is very loud already.

Someday i will clear all the wire mess i made now and will add the 24v psu then

Next up:

Adding 2 more rgb flashers :D

• 2 months later...

So i finally have some upcoming vacation and it's time to finish here :)

Ordered:

2x Clear flasher dome

4x RGB Leds

Project:

Re-Wire complete cabinet --> I will use UTP Network cable to cable all the flashers etc to have one wire per two flashers going to the ledwiz

Add 2 more flashers on top of the cabinet backbox to complete a 5 flasher setup

Add 2 RGB Flipper buttons :)

This should keep me going for a while , will post pics when i get all the stuff inhouse

I used UTP Cat-5 too.

I know Maxx isn't a fan of using UTP :D

Anyway... there are two kinds of UTP. Ones with solid core wires and ones with 'stringed' wires.

I used the latter. Easy to manipulate, enough to handle low currents for flashers, buttons and contactors and easy to solder.

The solid core is no good and tend to break if you manhandle it to much.

Mind you UTP is not good to use for shakers and higher current toys.

I used UTP Cat-5 too.

I know Maxx isn't a fan of using UTP :D

Anyway... there are two kinds of UTP. Ones with solid core wires and ones with 'stringed' wires.

LMAO. God the secret is out......

Stranded core UTP is normaly for patch leads or CAT6 Numiah and should be fine. ( I dont have the pure hatred for it as I do the solid core :D) The solid core is finer than most hook up cable and I found breaks too easy for jobs like this. Both types are rated for just under an amp per pair.

Trying to sneak through a recommendation for using UTP... Shame on you Numiah. :bandit:

Alright here a few pics showing the mess i made of the inside :

attachment.php?attachmentid=8752&d=1312804745

I removed the LCD from the backbox because at first i did not attach the speakers to anything so when moving the cabinet one speaker fell down early when i first build it.

So this time i had some sticky foam i used to secure the speakers to the sides:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8753&d=1312804777

Et viola:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8754&d=1312804822

post-11482-142870573368_thumb.jpg

post-11482-14287057337_thumb.jpg

post-11482-142870573372_thumb.jpg

Archived