The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Amd vs intel i3,5,7......

rust2dust

I'm looking for a pc to run my 85 system cab.....I used to think amd / intel...same thing right?....not according to the benchmark scores. Or am I just finding biased websites? I don't want to blow a wad on cash twice so I'm thinking about just eating a couple more hundred dollars and doing an i5 build...any thoughts?

Btw....This is a dedicated machine. ..no Internet, no cd drive, as bare as I can get it....it will only be used for hyperspin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

An i5 build would work great. But then so would something like an AMD A10 6700, which also includes good onboard graphics and runs at only 65watts (whereas the i5's onboard graphics are crap and would require a discreet card). That AMD would also run pretty much every emulator just fine including Dolphin. Plus Hyperspin with all its bells and whistles. If you're intending to run the very latest PC games on that system, the AMD would do it but not on higher settings without a discreet video card. The AMD is also cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. The i5 of the same speed rating is going to better, but may not be necessary for you.

I have a dedicated A10 6700 HTPC box that acts as a whole house DVR but also runs Hyperspin and everything up to Dreamcast/PS2 with no problems. I also have a lowly Core2Duo dual core at 2.13ghz that runs hyperspin and everything up through playstation/saturn perfectly. Although I had to turn off some of the higher end animations for Hyperspin on that system.

Intel has pure processing power that trumps AMD but AMD's igpu rapes Intels, but AMD's drivers also suck.

I will tell you this much, MAME will benefit better from an Intel chip, which if you are going to have a cab I'm sure will be the centerpiece emulator of your setup.

If it was me I would go with an intel chip and medium end Nvidia Card.

That should run most everything. The A10 6800 (that's the one you got I assume since it's at 4.1ghz) has a decent built in GPU though, so you may not even need that GT650. Again depends all on the content you're running. I went with the 6700 only because it was 65 watts instead of 100 watts like your 6800, which means it needs less power and is easier/quieter to cool, especially in an HTPC style case etc.

Here's an article that talks about the GPU on that chip you have.

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/05/amds-radeon-hd-8670d-a-review/

I have a a10-6800k and i can play any game at 1280x720p, (Injustice, Batman Origins, Rambo, Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat 6, Street fighter x tekken, I have no problems with Taito type X, Pcsx2 i can play 65% at 2x Native resolution. 90% in native ,with Dolphin 80% in full speed 2x resolution 60fps, Demul works well in directx 11, without shaders, and 1x resolution.

I have a a10-6800k and i can play any game at 1280x720p, (Injustice, Batman Origins, Rambo, Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat 6, Street fighter x tekken, I have no problems with Taito type X, Pcsx2 i can play 65% at 2x Native resolution. 90% in native ,with Dolphin 80% in full speed 2x resolution 60fps, Demul works well in directx 11, without shaders, and 1x resolution.

are you using the apu for graphics or a card?

Only bad part about the motherboard is I'm going to have to add USB 3.0....Easy fix

I'm curious what you need USB 3.0 for? I have USB 3 ports on both of my i5 boards, and I try to avoid using it. Drivers are buggy, its not 100% backwards compatible as claimed, etc. I just dont' see the point of going for that feature specifically in an Arcade cabinet.

I was using USB 3.0 as I have my whole setup on an external hard drive. ....but giving it a bit more thought I am more than likely going to clone it to an internal so I have a backup. The puter is paid for and on its way soooooooo amd it is. If I were buying a computer to Web surf, (and everything I use my laptop for.....wink) I would buy an i5 or i7.

I was using USB 3.0 as I have my whole setup on an external hard drive. ....but giving it a bit more thought I am more than likely going to clone it to an internal so I have a backup. The puter is paid for and on its way soooooooo amd it is. If I were buying a computer to Web surf, (and everything I use my laptop for.....wink) I would buy an i5 or i7.

is the wink referring to that hamster site?

AMD is OK too but if you want stability...go Intel.

Where did you get that data from? I've seen nothing in my experience selling computers to indicate that Intel is more "stable".

Again, a blanket statement to "get Intel" isn't good advice. You build for the job at hand based on your budget. An equivalent Intel chip to what he purchased will be $50 more, + an equivalent discrete video card is going to be another $50 at least. It'll also use more power and require better cooling. Those are all things to consider.

Hello everyone,

as I am planning on building a Hyperspin Arcade as well, and I am quite low on budget, ive been dealing with the same question. Basically I wanted to know how much graphics power is needed, and do most emulators profit from multithreading? I heard MAME is heavily single-threaded, but i dont know about the other emulators like the N64-Emulators. And how important is the graphics unit?

A lot of your choice of pc will depend on which emulators you run...As i have discovered, go as high spec as your budget will allow....and if you can afford it a graphics card is never a bad idea, even if it is overkill. The minimum setup I have had success with is

Dual core

3.0 ghz or better

4 gigs or better of ram

A decent video card

But keep in mind this was a dedicated machine. ...I used it for hyperspin only....hope that helps a little.

I was going for a dedicated machine for this and the i3-4310( EDIT: i3-4130) runs at 3,4Ghz, other than that, i planned 4GB (this is upgradable), but i have to think about the graphics card, i might get some smaller one for not much. Its quite hard to get together a decent budget with 17 yrs :P And i would mainly go for MAME games, and some of the older consoles like SNES,NES,N64 and some SEGA maybe, so i think a decent Dual Core could handle this, couldnt it?

Archived